Sign in to follow this  
sidewinder_102

Why I kill.

Obviously there is a lot of heated discussion about player versus player in this game. I thought I might try to throw my opinion in so it too can be misinterpreted, disagreed with, flamed, and generally rejected by the community.

I'm kidding, I hope you have something constructive to say in response.

We're going to do this in list form because everyone loves lists, just look at VH1. Also, I don't feel like writing a proper essay and I feel like you don't want to read one. The reasons why I kill will be presented generally in order of most prevalent to least in accordance with my opinion.

1. Because I am good at it (or so I think) and I want to show it:

My experience as a gamer has generally been that I can quickly and easily become skilled at games and compete with other players who are generally in the top 10-25% (generally, I have been as high as 1% in some ladders) of whatever game I choose to spend time on. In single player games I almost never play difficulties below whatever is one step above normal (heroic is as low as I go in Halo, for example.) So, when I kill you I want you to know that I have better reflexes, game knowledge, skill, etc. In the case that I am just far away in a sniper spot, it's not even skill so much as patience. I still want you to know that one way or another I got the upper hand on you. The reverse is true when a player kills me. I get the twinge in my brain that someone capitalized on my mistake and that I have to be better.

This reason is also why I think the pvp prevention method of creating options that provide incentive to work in groups will not be as effective as people think. Guys like me will do our best to kill you regardless of how stacked the odds are against us. In fact, I love that shit. If I can kill you and your two buddies all by myself, then that makes me feel awesome. Also, I can just as easily rally my buddies who are of like mind and we will work together to kill you.

2. Because I want your stuff:

The game is about survival. Even if I see you're only carrying a Makarov and have a czech vest pouch on your back. If I don't know you then maybe you've got a blood pack or some tool belt item that I don't have. Simply on the chance of you having a tool box when I don't is enough reason for me to want to kill you.This isn't just driven by survival, greed, and power seeking though. The first successful life I played lasted probably 15 hours of play and 3 days. I helped out other players a couple times with no betrayal but in the end I was killed by someone who got the drop on me. Since then I play much more aggressively and part of my gear gathering via player kill motivation has been that I am just trying to get back from some faceless dude what some other faceless dude took from me.

3. Because your existence is a threat:

This is another survival thing. I don't want you to be strong enough to challenge me. I am going to knock you down whenever I can so that you have less chance of gathering the resources to be an immediate threat to me. This includes raiding your hoard sites for their supplies and then scuttling your stuff.

4. Because the thrill of PVP in this game is unlike anything I have experienced in gaming:

Just seeing a player in the far away distance is enough to get my blood pumping. The cost of death is so high in this game that risking it in combat is exhilarating. When I am successful it is even more sweet. When I fail, I still take my trembling hands from the keyboard and mouse and smile because the experience is fun.

5. Because at this time there isn't much left to do, and I am okay with that:

I could get with my friends or join a clan and we could come up with personal objectives like setting up camps or recovering vehicles, but where is the excitement at the end of those goals? Protecting your territory? Driving your truck? Nope, I am going to try to kill you.

TL;DR is to the right of each number.

• Like 6

I like to kill guys like you. Shooting carebears and noobs does nothing for me.

Why shoot people when you can take away the zombies near them, drag them to safety, bandage/feed/help them, and have that sweet, sweet nectar feeling when they thank you? I usually don't use epi-pens, as then they have the opportunity to shoot me in the face. I'm getting a bit side tracked.

You're a strange man, OP. Also, only 2/5 of these reasons are valid. Use your common sense to figure which ones they are.

• Like 1

The thrill of pvp you describe is the basic ArmA game mechanics at work. It has nothing to do with the mod.

And tents remove most of the pain of death, so dying in this mod isn't really all that big of a deal anymore.

Edited by jonahcutter

The thrill of pvp you describe is the basic ArmA game mechanics at work. It has nothing to do with the mod.

And tents remove most of the pain of death, so dying in this mod isn't really all that big of a deal anymore.

Tents are amazingly buggy. I really do not use them at all. My clan guy has gear in trucks, but on my 2nd account If I die my stuff is gone.

Ha. Justification of killing another player always takes the form of "survival" Tons of people in third world countries starving and oppressed, yet they do not go around killing innocent people for their "shit." Rocket himself, being ex military knows this to be true. So there is no excuse for killing anyone here in Dayz other than the fact, you can. You know why other people are a threat? Because the community let it get that far. Look back 2 months ago when average life was 4 hours 30 minutes. Now its 40 minutes or less. No one killing anyone for their stuff, admit it. You do it because you want to or you like being a dick. That is what being "online" is. Being the biggest dick to everyone you come across because, seriously, wtf are they going to do about it. Kill away, dont justify anything.

Edited by Rakkasan
  • Like 3

Ha. Justification of killing another player always takes the form of "survival" Tons of people in third world countries starving and oppressed, yet they do not go around killing innocent people for their "shit." Rocket himself, being ex military knows this to be true. So there is no excuse for killing anyone here in Dayz other than the fact, you can. You know why other people are a threat? Because the community let it get that far. Look back 2 months ago when average life was 4 hours 30 minutes. Now its 40 minutes or less. No one killing anyone for their stuff, admit it. You do it because you want to or you like being a dick. That is what being "online" is. Being the biggest dick to everyone you come across because, seriously, wtf are they going to do about it. Kill away, dont justify anything.

I am also a soldier. I also know the difference between reality and dayz. The price of life is FAR more steep in reality than in dayz. This makes people work together to try to help preserve it. In dayz though, what's the fun in everyone banding together to hoard things or play grab ass? There will be a point where you have the shit that makes you happy for a little while, but after that, what is left? The answer is PVP. Because the answer is PVP, then the aggressive decisions I make and call "survival" are simply cutting out the middle part where I play grab ass. I am cutting straight to the point and, I would argue, having a lot more fun.

Killing people for my reasons doesn't make me a dick or evil like it would in reality. You just respawn. Tighten up your shit next time. When I die I am not butt hurt about it, either. I assume the higher road is not to get worked up over a game.

Also, I don't hunt the coast. I look for the big fish up north. Though, I don't dislike the guy with the m107 on dobry mountain looking over elektro. I got past him/them and made it north. Other players can too. I have no pity for you if you can't make it. Get better. I didn't get it right the first time.

You have a point about "the community letting it get that far", sort of. Given the current state of the game there was really no alternative. Massive influx of players probably moves more quickly than server growth. This creates a more crowded and dangerous environment with more competition. Also, in a lot of cases, I see people being nice their first couple lives. Once the first person kills someone else though, then that person will most likely kill to try to get their stuff back. This quickly spreads. I like that.

hahahahahahaaha

Good joke man. That was super awesome. One day I hope I can take reality and flip it on it's head just to amuse stranger on the internet.

• Like 1

hahahahahahaaha

Good joke man. That was super awesome. One day I hope I can take reality and flip it on it's head just to amuse stranger on the internet.

I was just about to say something to that effect. People have been killing each other for their shit en masse for only a little less time than the human race has existed.

1. Because I am good at it (or so I think) and I want to show it:

4. Because the thrill of PVP in this game is unlike anything I have experienced in gaming:

I've singled out these two reasons because the rest of your post has already been said countless times by other bandits. Your first reason is just fucking stupid. You're good at killing so you want to show it. Ooookay...... starving for attention much? Or are you some kind of diva? Is your existence so empty and lonely, that you need to make other people notice how good you are? If you are good at something, people will likely notice anyways. The fact that you need to purposely do this is, imho, quite astonishing.

4.) Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Lineage 1/2, EVE. These games all offered intense, nearly full loot pvp with almost no safe zones. If DayZ pvp is the highlight of your life, then you must be pretty young still.

• Like 1

After I got killed through a bug right after connecting on a server, I tryed to be a nice guy too. So i respawned at Cherno and just ran around with no weapon.

It hasn't took long till I encountered the first player. I said that im unarmed and friendly. He aims a me and starts shooting his revolver. The idiot pulls 2 zombies and has to run. I laugh and move on to the firestation.

On the way i find an axe. In the firestation i meet another player. Tell him that im friendly and just armed with a hatchet. He looks at me from the distance (I thought he was typing). Boom the shotgun barrel hits me. So i run at that bastard and make him bleed befor i take the second (and deadly) shot.

So my faith in humanity was destroyed again.

After I respawned in Elektro I saw 2 guys sitting there in a industrial building, sharing things from each others backpack. In my rage I run at them and slay em down before they can do the same to me again.

So I think shooting on sight has it's purpose.

Edited by Yusho

I'm opposite,

1. I wont invest any great time in this mod with regards to skill as it aint finished, there is always someone better than you, keep trying, practice makes perfect.

2. You should never get used to your stuff, or anyone elses. Killing someone for what you dont know they have is wrong, are you incapable of finding stuff yourself? or is killing easier therefore missing one of the points of the game? I call that lazy.

3. I just became a camp killer, I loot and drop kit so others have a chance. It's not Because I fear other players I like the imbalance offers me what other games couldn't offer me.

4. DayZ is a great game isn't it!! I too get those shakes and feelings, though I am more of a Helper, I get a "buzz" when I can help someone not kill them.

5. So much to do and soon the experience will be over!! I sometimes wonder what the final product will be like, what will be incorporated and what will be lost?

there will be things in the final product you won't like and youll find another way of Justifying killing others.

Now before you all go mental, I do see the points you put up as valid and suitable for a player who likes that branch of play, theres nothing wrong with it, we can't all be the same, I just done see the point of killing Players because I can!!!

I've singled out these two reasons because the rest of your post has already been said countless times by other bandits. Your first reason is just fucking stupid. You're good at killing so you want to show it. Ooookay...... starving for attention much? Or are you some kind of diva? Is your existence so empty and lonely, that you need to make other people notice how good you are? If you are good at something, people will likely notice anyways. The fact that you need to purposely do this is, imho, quite astonishing.

4.) Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Lineage 1/2, EVE. These games all offered intense, nearly full loot pvp with almost no safe zones. If DayZ pvp is the highlight of your life, then you must be pretty young still.

You don't like doing things you're good at? You don't like recognition for doing things you are good at? That's fine, I do. I seek that feeling. I also like running in real life and I'm okay at it. I use my ability to run long distances to get recognition in the same manner. I lived perfectly fine before dayz and I will after dayz. I don't need this game specifically to feel like I am worth something.

Also, I don't see how trying to discern my age by listing games I haven't played works. What I said about the thrill dayz gives me remains true regardless of my apparent age or previous experience with similar games.

Edited by sidewinder_102

You don't like doing things you're good at? You don't like recognition for doing things you are good at? That's fine, I do. I seek that feeling. I also like running in real life and I'm okay at it. I use my ability to run long distances to get recognition in the same manner. I lived perfectly fine before dayz and I will after dayz. I don't need this game specifically to feel like I am worth something.

I don't do certain things for the recognition, but to each their own I suppose. I also don't expect my murder victims to give me recgnition, i mean if cred is what you want then you should seriously consider streaming, you will get recognition that's for sure. And to be fair having re-read my original post i did sound a bit harsh, and I cant fault you for enjoying the thrill of the hunt and kill being a bandit myself. It's just sounded weird that you feel the need to show how good you are, and listed that as your most important reason.

I'm opposite,

1. I wont invest any great time in this mod with regards to skill as it aint finished, there is always someone better than you, keep trying, practice makes perfect.

2. You should never get used to your stuff, or anyone elses. Killing someone for what you dont know they have is wrong, are you incapable of finding stuff yourself? or is killing easier therefore missing one of the points of the game? I call that lazy.

3. I just became a camp killer, I loot and drop kit so others have a chance. It's not Because I fear other players I like the imbalance offers me what other games couldn't offer me.

4. DayZ is a great game isn't it!! I too get those shakes and feelings, though I am more of a Helper, I get a "buzz" when I can help someone not kill them.

5. So much to do and soon the experience will be over!! I sometimes wonder what the final product will be like, what will be incorporated and what will be lost?

there will be things in the final product you won't like and youll find another way of Justifying killing others.

Now before you all go mental, I do see the points you put up as valid and suitable for a player who likes that branch of play, theres nothing wrong with it, we can't all be the same, I just done see the point of killing Players because I can!!!

Righteous, man. Different strokes for different folks. Please do your best to help people out there if they allow it. Have fun. I hope you prepare them and yourself well enough when I come around.

In some cases yes, killing another player is a quicker way to reward. Given the boundaries of this game, it's an option I choose more often than not.

I'm not all bad. I have a lot of friends I play with frequently now and we work together. Mostly though, our goal is to kill players.