ColeCola12

DayZ on two computers without buying twice?

Hey everyone, I was looking for some help. I really love DayZ and I want to play it with my brother, but I'm not sure it will work, so here's my theory:

If I install Steam on his computer, download Combined Operations (since I bought it on my account), and then use Six Launcher to launch Arma with DayZ, will we be able to play together?

Please let me know because I don't want to download it for no reason (I have a monthly limit of internet usage)

no it will give you guid errors you can both play but only on diffrent servers if you try to join the same one you will get errors and not able to play what i had to do to get my gf playing with me was just bite the bullet and buy a second copy of AO in a new steam account for her.

Yeah. As long as you turn your steam off first and don't both log into steam. You are correct in that the game DOESN'T need steam once it's installed.

Well... i have no idea. I think it should. As you can play DayZ without Steam running, i think it'll work that way. Also - why i never thought of that? Gonna try it out with a friend.

itll work till you try to join the same server lol then battle eye will get angry about the guid being the same

I totally forgot about the hive server and battleeye and what not. Maybe it won't work then.

You'll need two copies of Combined Operations - one for each computer. Two Steam accounts will be necessary, but you don't need to download the game on the second computer. Just back up the game files via Steam and transfer the files that Steam creates to the other computer. Login into the second Steam account on the second computer and run the "steambackup.exe" file that steam created. Voila, you now have CO installed on both computers if you have done this right.

Edit: This is the only way to have two separate characters within Dayz, as your character is based off your unique Operation Arrowhead key.

Edited by PricelineNegotiator

also i just remmeber another issue the hive will try to use the same char file so you cant have two diffrent chars. whoever logs out last will save there char overwriteing the other

You cannot have two seperate accounts without two seperate license keys. The key for Arma 2: OA is what is used to detect player id, so you need a key per user. Click on the link in my signature for more help

DocTolly's method is what I used. Now I have reg keys on the desktop I run depending on what account I want.

Don't do all the other work listed in other peoples post. Keep it simple!