zDevon

DayZ from Steam in a few brief and simple steps (No third party programs such as SixUpdater, all in all granting better experience)

This guide assumes you have purchased ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA/ArmA 2 CO from Steam.

-> Download and install both games.

Run OA at least once to get a nice BattlEye install.

Download the DayZ mod from one of the available mirrors: http://dayzmod.com/?Download

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead (Windows) and create a folder named @DayZ there. Within that folder, create another called Addons. Extract the contents of the DayZ download into this Addons folder.

Visit http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/ and download the latest patch (green box, .zip). Once this is complete open it up and run the .exe found inside. Then, open the beta folder found in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta. Copy the "arma2oa.exe" from here and paste it back into your main directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead). You will be replacing the old one.

Next download the updated BattlEye client from http://www.battleye.com/download.html (You'll want the "BE Client for Windows (32-bit)" build under the "v1.61.94945+" bullet).. Find C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\BattlEye and replace the BEClient.dll inside there with the one you've just downloaded.

Now open your Steam library and right click on Operation Arrowhead. Find the Properties option and open "Set Launch Options." Paste this: -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@Dayz into the text field and click Ok.

You're ready to play.

To launch DayZ: Run Operation Arrowhead through Steam and when given the option, choose to run the game as Combined Operations (this is mandatory and must be done every start up!).

Finding a server: Once the main menu loads up click on Multiplayer. Once there click on the Filter option and enter "DayZ" (without the quotes) in the Mission field. Now your list will only produce DayZ servers.

If you run into any trouble, let me know :)

Edited by zDevon
  • Like 2

OOORRR you can just get six launcher.

I like to do everything manually to get rid of some variables... you know, for troubleshooting when it doesn't work. :)

And I like to use the Steam Overlay.

Nice job, OP.

I always thought that you had to copy both armaoa.exe and those two folders in the beta folder, I think they are called dta and dll.

Might be wrong though.

I like to do everything manually to get rid of some variables... you know, for troubleshooting when it doesn't work. :)

And I like to use the Steam Overlay.

Nice job, OP.

You can still use the overlay by adding sixupdater to steam and launching from there....

Edited by NickTheButcher

I told my steam mate and did the exact steps, but his OA won't turn on, the cmd flashed away and nothing happened afterwards.

I told my steam mate and did the exact steps, but his OA won't turn on, the cmd flashed away and nothing happened afterwards.

Tell him to completely shut down Steam and re-run it as administrator (right click).

Where and when?

Here and now

I haven't installed the new BE patch, I heard it messes shit up. That might be the cause? I can run the game perfectly fine from sixlauncher ;/

Edited by karlito

I followed these instructions to the letter but when I try to boot up arma 2 combined operations I get an error right before it normally displays bohemia interactive the game closes down and a windows error bubble pops up that says "Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine"

edit: tried running as administrator now i don't even get the popup but the same thing happens

Edited by BASE_SEVEN

You can still use the overlay by adding sixupdater to steam and launching from there....

I probably can. I just don't see why I should make it more complicated then it has to be. It works on Steam, I don't need another third party software. :) if I used Six there would be Steam, Arma2, the beta patches, Battle Eye and then Six Updater to check for problems if it does not work.

I followed these instructions to the letter but when I try to boot up arma 2 combined operations I get an error right before it normally displays bohemia interactive the game closes down and a windows error bubble pops up that says "Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine"

edit: tried running as administrator now i don't even get the popup but the same thing happens

This usually means that you got the launch options wrong. Usually the -beta part.

It's definitely easy, but personally I work way too much with computers at work as it is. And I don't wanna do it when I come home, Six Launcher it is. Haha.

Good guide, but in the long run, I found this simpler:

I didn't copy the beta exe to OA directory and replace the original. Lots of hassle, and you need to repeat it everytime you update beta = almost everytime you play = a lot.

Instead, I just use the 'Launch Arma2 OA Beta Patch' shortcut that the beta installer creates on the main dir. To get Steam overlay, I used "add new game" in Steam and chose that Beta shortcut, renamed it (for convenience) as "DayZ mod" and added ' -mod=@Dayz' in the Steam properties.

Once the "launch Beta" shortcut is added to Steam, you don't need to anything when you update Beta and/or DayZ - just update and launch 'DayZ mod' from Steam.

EDIT / CORRECTION: I didn't add the "launch beta" shortcut to Steam, but the arma2oa.exe from /Expansion/Beta folder directly.

So in short: In Steam, "Add a Game", browse to the \Expansion\beta\ folder in "arma 2 operation arrowhead"

Then edit the properties of the newly added game like this (directory is different if you're on 32-bit Win or have Steam installed somewhere else):

Target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;@dayz" -nosplash

Start In:

"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

Edited by Zemalf

Hi Zemalf, that sounds like a great idea. Sadly, I couldn't work out how to create a ticket to report help with downloading day z. So I can just about grasp maybe half what you're saying but have no idea how to do any of it. So I'm doomed to wander the forums forever, unable to even access a server after three or four weeks of trying to install it. (It's Sulalee (Susan O) by the way) :) I do miss your vids but it seems so hard for those trying to survive alone now that groups are lying in wait to kill anyone spawning. Actually, maybe I shouldn't be so desperate to get into those servers. :o/

good tutorial and i really appreciate the work that went into it as well as sharing it with the community.

sadly, in my humble personal opinion, the arma server browser plainly sucks.. i stick with dayzcommander - everything i need in a proper, modern, usable interface and can launch through steam too..

So there were a couple things I hadn't done according to this guide. I downloaded the new battle eye, and replaced the old one. I also copied the "arma2oa.exe" from the /beta folder and and replaced it with the same file under the main OA folder.

Now when I launch Combined Operations from Steam (by choosing it under the menu with 4 options) the game will launch with the Dayz mod present. When I try to join a server I'll get the error "You can not play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.cherarus". This is especially confusing because this error is only supposed to occur when you lauch the game with Operation Arrowhead and not Combined Operations.

erikmg you need to copy the Addons folder from the Arma 2 Folder into the Operation Arrowhead folder.