as a active out dores man, survivalist, and dooms day half assed prepper the wood seems wrong anyone who hase been camping knows you can get more than enough wood off the ground and if you cant you have youre can use youre knife......

yes you can cut down trees with knives some of the best wood is in standing dead trees.

i would not ever carry a hatchet or axe with me in a stiuation. it is too hevy and is only good for cutting down trees, and anyone who has ever used axes knows it takes 2 axes to proces a tree a cutting axe and a splitting axe or wedges and a sledge hammer.

with a knife it can compleet multiple jobs making its weaght worth keepiing in the pack.

I support the idea of firewood spawning near fallen trees. Nothing needs to change except the spawn locations, as it's only logical that firewood would spawn in a forest.

Of all the times I've gone camping, not once have I said to myself "I need firewood, better go into town and ask the fire station if they have any"

A problem with adding wood (regardless of where it spawns) is that it compounds the problem of the unrealistic inventory/carrying system.

I could have a 60lb bergen on my back, my weapon on it's sling and all my webbing full of magazines etc etc, but IRL I could still carry a pile of logs in my arms.

The more realism you try to add, the more it will compound the existing unrealism at the core of the system.

I support the idea of firewood spawning near fallen trees. Nothing needs to change except the spawn locations' date=' as it's only logical that firewood would spawn in a forest.

[/quote']

good idea... u have to search the underbrush, maybe venturing 50-100m to find wood. However maybe the amounts (in the thousands) of spawn points are impossible to implement?

Im pretty sure it wont take long before you can take woods from woods piles all over the place just like you can fill your water bottle.

About making fire in the forest, yeah well, lets hope he find a way to code so we either dont need to collect wood in a forest/near it or we can collect it when we are standing near.

It really boggles my mind at how people assume that because a game has AN ASPECT of realism' date=' that it therefore needs/wants to be wholesale realistic at the expense of fun.

"Oh, you put a system whereby firewood is necessary to feed a fire"

"YOU MUST WANT TOILETS AND REALISTIC BOWEL MOVEMENTS"

Even as a joke, it's not even exceeding elementary school level of humor.

Obviously, the firewood mechanic isn't fleshed out and is being worked on. Hatchet things sound great, and I personally (along with people who play Day Z for something more than deathmatch) relish in the idea of foraging for firewood to survive.

Shit happened on BF3 forums all the time pre-release, "Oh, you want realistic bullet mechanics... You must want a 9-12 month waiting period before you can respawn then". Fucking morons.

Or, conversely, "I want realistic bullet mechanics". "We've got fuckin' medbags that heal you magically, what the hell we need realism for?".

[/quote']

You shouldn't confuse the reality of emotions you get from playing a game with the ability of a game to simulate reality. A videogame is never realistic, per se. More so, a game with zombies in it!

Making the survival more of a challenge is great, I am all for it. At the same time, if the suggested in-game tools for survival seem ridiculous to me (not even from the difficulty point of view, but gameplay-wise) - these forums is the place for me and others to say it. Having to leave wood to collect firewood (or, alternatively, needing a machete to collect firewood in a wood!) - seems too far-fetched for me.

And yes, I am perferctly aware that this is alfa etc. and no one makes me play it if I don't like it. But if I have a chance to make the game better for me by expressing what I dislike here, I am doing it. Sometimes, by means of "elementary school level of humor"-jokes, as you put it. After all, Rocket is no Carebear, heh :) )

When the new temperature feature with fireplaces and firewood came out, I immediately went and tried it out. First I liked it very much (server with only a dozen people=safe to go to willages), but soon it turned to be annoyance and pain in the a**. The problem is obvious and said many many times already: the spawning point of firewood.

Pretty much everything else in the mod fits the frame of survival. But now I need to risk my extremely precious virtual life and stuff for what? Repeatedly enter willages and whatnot where sooner or later, someone will kill me while I pack wood in my alice.

Other new features are ok, if we just could find firewood from where it actually grows. Limited number of matches also and that it would be more difficult to make a fire when its raining and sometime after the rain stopped due the ground be wet.

I put myself in a hold for playing atm, not rage quitting or anything. I just don't want to risk my life with the current system and I wait if it will change in some near future. The feedback surely suggest something should be done.

Liking the suggestions in this thread, hoping they get taken on board. i.e. collecting wood from the floor, from piles that spawn. Hatchet idea? Maybe that should be optional, you can get one and you CAN cut down trees for wood if you want loads, but it's not the ONLY way as you can get it from piles and from the ground etc. Again, not keen on the idea of another slot being used in the inventory just because you can't for some reason use wood from the ground or around you.

Maybe the skins that will be added should also maintain your temperature too?

People are forgetting that this is still alpha, firewood in houses is better than no firewood at all. Just wait for a few more updates then the wood will be more frequent and available in the forest.

Sweet tears.

Wood is found in everywhere basic items are found. Residential buildings, office buildings, etc.

You can find a shit-ton of them everywhere. Just use your eyes.

Getting an infection isn't the end of the world. You cough sometimes, but the -2000 blood isn't anything major.

An Analogy of this thread,. and fire wood on a whole

Man buys a new PC, but before assembling it in his case he sets it up laying on a table to make sure everything works,. enter his wife

wife: 'you can't put that there, it make no sense'

husband : 'yeah i know babe, just making sure everything works first'

wife : 'there's wires everywhere i could trip over'

husband : 'yeah i know, again just making sure it all works'

wife : 'surely its better to have it in a case, that's where PC components go'

husband : 'again, this i know! I'm just making sure it works, do you really think i would leave it like this?'

wife : 'well I'm just saying i think it would be better in its case'

husband : 'i didn't say it wouldn't, i agree, but there's no point me putting in its case yet until i know it works!!'

wife : 'well i still think it would be better in its case, that's where PC's go'

husband : '..........'

PC = wood

nagging wife = all of you

FFS its an alpha, it makes sense to use current spawn locations for wood as adding more specifically for wood at this point would be a bit daft until we know the mechanics behind it work as intended.

on a diffrent note as humans we have clothing to over come the enviorment. it rains i put on my gortex jacket, its pooring down rain i put on my gortex jacket and pants, its insanly shitty add the otter watter proof socks. it gets cold i put the linner in to the jacket and pants. this is russia the weather is alwase shitty, there should be extra clothing all over the place.

So' date=' I am new the the forums but have been playing Dayz for a little of 8 days and I wanted to address the logic pattern for wood.

I understand the "logic" of get X+Y to get Z and the point is to make something rare or rare-ish. My concern is that the wood analogy breaks down on several levels.

First, matches are already fairly rare (i know it has been increased), but right now it feels appropriate in their rarity. Also matches alone means little to nothing currently.

Second, if you have matches making a fire out of whatever is actually pretty easy in real life.

Finally, when you approach the "need" for wood but don't have every object (I know impossible) useable the level of frustration increases. Case, I just walked by a pile of ruble that has wood parts, planks, wood shed, stack of logs, insert other burnable item here and you see that "hunting" for something to burn is a little over the top.

I don't want to make this game easy, I like it difficult, but having a game mechanic that is so intricate while the world itself not, only adds a level of frustration, not achievement.

[/quote']

I quoted myself because some comments have gotten off track, or a little snide.

1. I know as well as others that this is Alpha, Alpha is a testing and response time

2. My focus is on game logic not realism/realistic discussion

3. To bring attention to the end game for this feature

My thought on this is that in 3 – 4 weeks of making spawn-able wood in the woods or being able to get wood from those already cut wood piles in the villages that from a mechanic standpoint we will end up right back here where wood gathering is so easy that it’s not an issue and matches become the rare item. Thus the effort expended for this feature only produces nearly the identical mechanic with just a bunch of extra work for the developers. 

I’ve said my peace, but I will leave you guys with this… This game in concept and current implementation is still and probably remain AWESOME. It’s addictive in a way that I have not had in a long long time and kudos to the inventor and developers!

oh man, whiners about whiners are as bad as the whiners themselves.

On another note: I found 2 stacks of wood in a barn, no issue there, but like before the patch i still need to yet find matches anywhere, but I'm sure that will work out too.

Only questions i really have:

How does the temperature exactly work? ARE there buildings and if so, which ones, cause barns don't seem to count, that raise your temperature again?

Does it go down only in rain and night or simply always?

An Analogy of this thread' date='. and fire wood on a whole

[/quote']

well you have no idea how to make an analogy, a better analogy would be this :-

a man buys a car, and wants to drive it, so he fuels it with gas.

the next day he get an idea of fueling it was gas and a pile of salt(!)

so his wife tell him :- well honey, thats creative, but it just might ruin the engine.

so the husband being the lord of the house, does it anyway, now the engine is not working, so his wife tells him he shouldnt put salt next time, the husband tells her no to worry since he is trying things out, and next time he will just put salt, and water to remove the salt, and then puts the gas!

thats a much better analgy, Have some back bone, this firewood idea is plain bad, has nothing to do with making it harder or easier, it is just plain bad, adding an axe doesnt make it better, actually it makes it worse since it wasnt needed in the first place.

Any one who went camping in real life, or just had a box of matches when he was kid knows, once you have the matches, you can light up the whole place up without an axe, and you know what, without wood either.

Yes this is ALPHA and so, we need to help in spotting the bad ideas, firewood is one of them, an axe is worst, rocket can be wrong with all due respect.

Have some backbone, and a sense of logic.

stupid prick.

IF its like that fine, if I need to find an axe nothing I can say will change it, but the truth is THERE IS A FOREST RIGHT NEAR THE TOWN OR CITY, there should be no reason I need an axe when there SHOULD be dead wood to burn everywhere in the forest, its a forest! I mean everywhere in a forest there should be spawns of wood..

Those of you that live near a forest know this.. but hell if Rocket says we need an axe to cut off wood, then what can you do? :/

but the truth is, we don't need big cuts of wood from an axe to get a fire going, FACT. :)

People are forgetting that this is still alpha' date=' firewood in houses is better than no firewood at all. Just wait for a few more updates then the wood will be more frequent and available in the forest.

[/quote']

No, they aren't. I wish people would stop saying 'It's an Alpha', I think most do know that by now, there's nothing wrong with making suggestions and points about something regardless of its phase of development. Alpha or no alpha, a suggestion/point is still a suggestion/point. Best to make points and reinforce and remind them to the Devs before it's too long down the line for further testing.

Reminds me of BF3's fiasco of 'It's a beta, it's a beta!'

I just think this is an unnecessary game mechanic. It adds complexity, while adding exactly zero fun factor. Making fires only work in forests, or maybe just outside cities, I can see that. But requiring an arbitrary extra item that SHOULD be available in abundance pretty much everywhere is a little silly.

An Analogy of this thread' date='. and fire wood on a whole

[/quote']

well you have no idea how to make an analogy, a better analogy would be this :-

a man buys a car, and wants to drive it, so he fuels it with gas.

the next day he get an idea of fueling it was gas and a pile of salt(!)

so his wife tell him :- well honey, thats creative, but it just might ruin the engine.

so the husband being the lord of the house, does it anyway, now the engine is not working, so his wife tells him he shouldnt put salt next time, the husband tells her no to worry since he is trying things out, and next time he will just put salt, and water to remove the salt, and then puts the gas!

thats a much better analgy, Have some back bone, this firewood idea is plain bad, has nothing to do with making it harder or easier, it is just plain bad, adding an axe doesnt make it better, actually it makes it worse since it wasnt needed in the first place.

Any one who went camping in real life, or just had a box of matches when he was kid knows, once you have the matches, you can light up the whole place up without an axe, and you know what, without wood either.

Yes this is ALPHA and so, we need to help in spotting the bad ideas, firewood is one of them, an axe is worst, rocket can be wrong with all due respect.

Have some backbone, and a sense of logic.

stupid prick.

WOW,. just wow.

its only wood,. its only a game, its only an alpha.

no one can be this furious about wood, clearly there must be something very bad going on in your life for you to project such animosity towards others.

I have backbone, i have logic, i may be a prick, who knows

I'm sorry you uncle touched you and placed his 'wood' in you,. but that doesn't make 'wood' bad,. or those who like the idea of 'wood' bad.

I haven't played 1.5.8 yet, however, I'm not liking the idea of having to go to town to get firewood. Anyone who's been backpacking knows green wood is crap for making a camp fire and hatchets aren't really necessary for collecting firewood (a good survival knife can make a hatchet redundant). Having to go to town to get wood seems ridiculous to me. Especially considering the way in I'm going to pass a house with a log pile out back, and a chopping axe embedded in a tree stump... Also now with the cold whether stuff I hope you increased the drop rate on matches... I have been surviving almost a week now and have yet to find a box of matches in the dozen or more towns I've been to.

Also now with the cold whether stuff I hope you increased the drop rate on matches... I have been surviving almost a week now and have yet to find a box of matches in the dozen or more towns I've been to.

After a short trip into the new release this morning I stumbled upon matches and firewood like nothing else, firewood especially in the barns. But, still no Alice Backpack for me. Sadly.

I really dislike this feature too but it seems like people are missing something: It's a very tiny part of the game and can be removed just as quickly as it was added. Just be thankful Rocket is trying to keep it realistic and fun with new features.

EDIt: @silenced- Grocery stores dude.

When it comes to complicating the gameplay i would search somewhere else and make truly difficult tasks difficult, not the easy tasks. To make a fireplace you wont need a hatchet, nor freshly cut wood or even matches (this considering road flares would be even better in the role of making a fire).

WTF?!?!?! when i die i can re-spawn?!?! this make no sense

when you die in real life that's it, no second try

this maker me so MAD!!!! FURIOUS RAGE!!!! OP OP OP!! QQ!! WTFBBQ?!?! HAX!! BROKEN!!