O.K. so far and up to this point DayZ was reasonable logical, you need medical supplies, go hospital, you need standard ammo or matches go warehouse, you want M16 go Barracks and get killed there...but what is going on with camfires now...usually when I make a campfire in a forrest the "fuel" is all around me, no need to go further than 20 meters. What's up with campfires in DayZ 1.58 now? Do I need to order firewood from ammazon and a cargodrop from a herkules to make a campfire now?

I think it's a matter of where loot spawns. This is the alpha mod of a somewhat buggy game. I agree that it is frustrating to have to leave a large forest to find wood, but this is how it is working at the moment. Suck it up or play diablo 3 for a few weeks.

Since when is wood in the forest seasoned? I know bullshit excuse.

Maybe Rocket can make it super prevalent.

Rocket is planning to implement a hatchet item, which will get wood from trees.

Love the game more than my firstborn, but this addition was silly and unnecessary. Chernarus is practically made of firewood, but I've got to go into town if I want to find some?

If you think meat is too powerful, just make it give less blood - don't add goofy requirements to prevent us from cooking it.

Patch this out, I hope.

Has he visited a forest recently? That stuff falls off trees. Like, all the time. It just lies right there, ripe for the burnin'.

A hatchet would be cool if I'm building a shelter, a litter for injured companions, or a raft - things that rely on precise cuts and strong wood. But a cookfire? I can make that with twigs, leaves and bark.

Ulanthorn, what are you complaining about then? It not being realistic?

In that case, would you like to see a system in which when you get shot in any part of your body containing a major artery or vein, there is no way to stop the bleeding, and you simply die?

Ulanthorn' date=' what are you complaining about then? It not being realistic?

In that case, would you like to see a system in which when you get shot in any part of your body containing a major artery or vein, there is no way to stop the bleeding, and you simply die?

[/quote']

Fuck man, get shot anywhere with a .45 and it's over. I just had the shootout at the OK Corral in Elektro.

Oh yeah guys, it's an alpha

So, I am new the the forums but have been playing Dayz for a little of 8 days and I wanted to address the logic pattern for wood.

I understand the "logic" of get X+Y to get Z and the point is to make something rare or rare-ish. My concern is that the wood analogy breaks down on several levels.

First, matches are already fairly rare (i know it has been increased), but right now it feels appropriate in their rarity. Also matches alone means little to nothing currently.

Second, if you have matches making a fire out of whatever is actually pretty easy in real life.

Finally, when you approach the "need" for wood but don't have every object (I know impossible) useable the level of frustration increases. Case, I just walked by a pile of ruble that has wood parts, planks, wood shed, stack of logs, insert other burnable item here and you see that "hunting" for something to burn is a little over the top.

I don't want to make this game easy, I like it difficult, but having a game mechanic that is so intricate while the world itself not, only adds a level of frustration, not achievement.

Ulanthorn' date=' what are you complaining about then? It not being realistic?

[/quote']

There's a difference between realism and realistic. I would like a sense of realism, yes. Risking my neck to venture into a zombie-infested hellhole so I can find a pile of logs in the middle of 225 sq km of timber is not just "unrealistic" it's goofy. And this game isn't supposed to be goofy.

Yeah, would be nice if there were random spawns of wood in the forests, especially around downed trees. Perhaps an axe could be added as a utility item or something, and wood can be gathered.

The point is for you to die dude. You aren't supposed to live. Hopefully it comes down to a leaderboard where people can be really proud to live for like no shit 10 hours of game time.

More gear for you to carry like cords of wood, matches, hatchet, food, drink, medicine, and whatever the fuck else Rocket can thing of means what.................

............less room for....................

Anyone???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Z, we will force you to make the hard decisions. Do I trust the guy over there because we could share a fire and some meat? Do I run off and die alone in the woods after a few days? Do I hunt and live a life of fear? Do I help create a new society? The starting point for making those hard decisions is limiting your resources while burdening you with more tasks.

Firestations, apartments. I've found wood within 10 seconds of spawning on the coast.

Yeah, I don't want to be on the coast, but I did answer your question didn't I?

The point is for you to die dude. You aren't supposed to live. Hopefully it comes down to a leaderboard where people can be really proud to live for like no shit 10 hours of game time.

More gear for you to carry like cords of wood' date=' matches, hatchet, food, drink, medicine, and whatever the fuck else Rocket can thing of means what.................

Anyone???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Z, we will force you to make the hard decisions. Do I trust the guy over there because we could share a fire and some meat? Do I run off and die alone in the woods after a few days? Do I hunt and live a life of fear? Do I help create a new society? The starting point for making those hard decisions is limiting your resources while burdening you with more tasks.

[/quote']

I understand the game and the premis but I think you are missing the mechanics of it all. You could decide to say:

Hey to use a gun it must be cleaned first, which needs a cleaning rod, which needs cloth swabs, which needs cleaning solution and on we go. The point of a mechanic is not to exceed a reasonable level and I think finding "wood" to burn is going down a dark path.

Okay. I'm going to have to hear the difference between realism and realistic.

(Wait, let me get some popcorn.)

More gear for you to carry like cords of wood' date=' matches, hatchet, food, drink, medicine, and whatever the fuck else Rocket can thing of means what.................

Anyone???

[/quote']

I understand the game and the premis but I think you are missing the mechanics of it all. You could decide to say:

Hey to use a gun it must be cleaned first, which needs a cleaning rod, which needs cloth swabs, which needs cleaning solution and on we go. The point of a mechanic is not to exceed a reasonable level and I think finding "wood" to burn is going down a dark path.

I'm glad you can take a shit on an idea that's been implemented for all of like 8 hours.

Walk into a building somewhere and find some wood.

You'll get a hatchet eventually.

If I had my way this would already be ACE compatible and the Zombies would be eating all of us if we didn't work together because we would all be passed out from carrying 30 kilos while trying to run from a horde.

Anyone???

[/quote']

I'm glad you can take a shit on an idea that's been implemented for all of like 8 hours.

Walk into a building somewhere and find some wood.

You'll get a hatchet eventually.

If I had my way this would already be ACE compatible and the Zombies would be eating all of us if we didn't work together because we would all be passed out from carrying 30 kilos while trying to run from a horde.

I lol'd at the last part hahaha.

I've not been in 1.5.8.2 yet, but I know from lots of wildcamping and trekking experience in real life that you can almost always find something to make a fire with when it's dry. Perhaps instead of having to find wood in-game for all fires, you should only need it for lighting fires in the rain, representing the need for a bit of dry kindling to get started.

in 1.59 you can't eat anything out of a can before you have found a spoon, and there will be only three spoons per map.

Okay. I'm going to have to hear the difference between realism and realistic.

(Wait' date=' let me get some popcorn.)

[/quote']

Hey Oilman,

Sorry I should have posted here, did not see the thread.

I don't think the discussion should be realism vs realistic. I do think that from development focus it can turn into a nightmare beyond the need for a hatchet when there is a huge amount of unusable objects that are burnable.

Love the game more than my firstborn' date=' but this addition was silly and unnecessary. Chernarus is practically made of firewood, but I've got to go into town if I want to find some?

If you think meat is too powerful, just make it give less blood - don't add goofy requirements to prevent us from cooking it.

Patch this out, I hope.

Has he visited a forest recently? That stuff falls off trees. Like, all the time. It just lies right there, ripe for the burnin'.

A hatchet would be cool if I'm building a shelter, a litter for injured companions, or a raft - things that rely on precise cuts and strong wood. But a cookfire? I can make that with twigs, leaves and bark.

>Complain about there not being any wood in the forest.

>Complain that rocket is trying to implement an item that would allow you to get wood in the forest

Ishiggidydiggidy

>Complain about there not being any wood in the forest.

>Complain that rocket is trying to implement an item that would allow you to get wood in the forest

Ishiggidydiggidy

You might want to consider taking a logic class.

The complaint is that IRL there is wood freely and abundantly available in forests which requires no tools to obtain, while in game there is currently no wood in the forest and that later, it seems, wood in the forest will only be obtainable with tools.