general frenky

CZ550 Estimating Range to Target

I was looking for tutorial but there is no such for this rifle.

Can any one describe me how to use CZ550 scope for estimating targets distance buy those vertical lines on scope?

day-z-6.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know of any range finding guides for the CZ550...

But I shall scour the web for one good sir..

you cant, its a hunters scope, desgned for close shooting on targets that need a large slug

you can estimate range on mildot scoped weapons and on the SVD, the M16A4 ACOG has a built in bullet drop feature but thats about your lot for built in range estimation/bullet drop compensation

to find range your gonna want a range finder... other wise its smart use of map and knowladge of it relative to your possition.

look for a mpmission called shooting range and test it out on different ranges.

it even shows the flight path of bullet in a bullet cam, so you know exactly where you hit your target.

obviously, the bigger your target appears in scope, the closer it is. so with these lines you can estimate the distance. not sure how useful that is in this scope, its for short-medium range,

and i assume the lines should be used to preaim on moving targets.

you can also use the map and calculate the distance to fixed targets, and use them as reference, make sure to take terrain height into account.

thats how skilled snipers do it. rangefinders are for the easy peasy lazy dayzies.

avoid shooting on moving targets, and don't try to aim for the head. rather be sure to take two quick shots on the body.

Edited by Azrail

you cant, its a hunters scope, desgned for close shooting on targets that need a large slug

you can estimate range on mildot scoped weapons and on the SVD, the M16A4 ACOG has a built in bullet drop feature but thats about your lot for built in range estimation/bullet drop compensation

you know it has zeroing right?

Yea there are no guides or tips an tricks for range estimation using the CZ550...

But if your curious here are two videos showing how to tell range with mil-dots and the PSO scope...

And another video showing how using different ammo can effect bullet trajectories...

There is several Methods to find the range.

1. Rangefinder.

2. Map, look around you and choose a spot where you will be shooting people, Lets say this is at supermarket in elektro. Open your map and SHIFT- RIGHTCLICK on The supermarket in the map, a green waypoint will pop up, displaying the metres to the point, zero in ;).

3. sometimes if you use the scroll menu you can see the metres sometimes, i think this only works if you have a secondrady weapon, or a map in your inventory.

thats the methods i use to find the range for scoped sniper rifles.

you know it has zeroing right?

but no way to "estimating targets distance buy those vertical lines"

which is what he was asking for, mildot sniper scopes let you calculate the distance, svd has built in estimator, the 16A4 has the shoulder width adjustment bars

the CZ has exactly the same as AKM a little knob to twiddle with but no way to know how much it needs twiddling

1. Rangefinder.

2. Map, look around you and choose a spot where you will be shooting people, Lets say this is at supermarket in elektro. Open your map and SHIFT- RIGHTCLICK on The supermarket in the map, a green waypoint will pop up, displaying the metres to the point, zero in ;).

3. sometimes if you use the scroll menu you can see the metres sometimes, i think this only works if you have a secondrady weapon, or a map in your inventory.

hahaha yeah 2 and 3 are retarded thats why i avoid servers with them if i can help it, thats why i learned to estimate distance with the scope, i can do it quicker then you can switch to range finder and back again and i dont have to go near servers where i have a glowing name tag spottable from a 1000yeards away through a bush if you swing your mouse and get lucky

1. Rangefinder.

Most veteran servers won't allow you to use your second or third suggestions by the way...

Wasn't sure if you knew...

If you can't rangefind measuring the width of a target against the horizontal (they are vertical, but spaced horizontally) lines what is the purpose of the lines being there to begin with? And no I don't see how they could be used to measure how much to lead a moving target.

Surely there must be a way to calculate the distance if you know the width of a target, whether or not that's what the lines are intended for.

Grids on the chernarus map are roughly 130m or 150m (can't recall the exact and I'm at the office). So knowing that and having a map you should be able to estimate fairly easily.

Edited by -SDZ- Lobo

Unfortunately that's not what we're trying to find out :S

Knowing that, your position and your targets position and HUZZAH that's your estimated distance to target. Bullet drop from the gun you will need to figure out for yourself through test shots. Or is doing some of the leg work too much for you?

Still not the point.

The question is IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO WITH THE CZ'S HORIZONTAL LINES.

Nothing else.

I know of the other methods mentioned already but that's not what the questions about.

Still not the point.

Nothing else.

I know of the other methods mentioned already but that's not what the questions about.

Obviously you missed the posts above regarding the fact it isn't possible with just the scope. A brain is required.

• Like 1

Still not the point.

Nothing else.

No. You can only use zeroing, estimation, and rangefinders, most of the time. Unless your on a pvp server, like me.

Erm, I remember briefly reading something about the VERTICAL lines, Horizontal goes across and the CZ goes Vertical.

Anyway I remember reading that if the target is in a reasonable position i.e mostly facing you and full body showing, you can use the vertical lines to gauge the width of the target, all targets are humans (except zombies) and have the same dimensions. I did have a little chart I had scribbled down after playing on the test range but it was rather useless for long distance but medium range up to ~500m I had was quite successful. After a while you get the feel for what range you need to zero in on pretty quickly.

I don't have the sheet anymore but it wouldn't be hard for you to go onto the firing range and calculate what you find.

• Like 2

M24 is pretty good one since it has the Mildot (The rifle is pretty much the same as CZ550, but the Mildot is the advantage). I hit two targets at 1000m with pinpoint accuracy, done without rangefinders.

Edited by Sutinen

Grids on the chernarus map are roughly 130m or 150m (can't recall the exact and I'm at the office). So knowing that and having a map you should be able to estimate fairly easily.

The smallest squares, thee digit squares are 100x100 meters.

If you zoom out on the map, two digit squares are 1000x1000 meters.

If you zoom all the way out, one digit squares are 10x10 kilometers.

Edited by Dallas

The smallest squares, thee digit squares are 100x100 meters.

If you zoom out on the map, two digit squares are 1000x1000 meters.

If you zoom all the way out, one digit squares are 10x10 kilometers.

Could have sworn when I measured edge to edge on a recruit server it was 130ish, but I'll take your word for it.

Could have sworn when I measured edge to edge on a recruit server it was 130ish, but I'll take your word for it.

Diagonally the squares are approximately 1.4x the width, so the 6 digit squares are 140m diag, 4 digits are 1.4km diag.

Just thinking maybe that is where you got confused.

Edited by Toilet

Yes, you can use the reticle in the CZ550 to estimate the range to a target. Anyone who says you can't doesn't know what they're talking about.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to make range cards for it yet, since I never find the damn things.

• Like 3