general frenky

CZ550 Estimating Range to Target

Obviously you missed the posts above regarding the fact it isn't possible with just the scope. A brain is required.

Created this account just to point out how incredibly stupid that post (and most other off topic posts about how you can use the map) is. Just because some stupid person said you cant just because they dont know how, doesn't prove anything.

The fact that it is possible to get the range with just the scope is totally obvious due to the fact it has some kind of mil lines. But it is true it does require a brain...

I personally dont know the formula for calculating anything of the mil lines and I am far too lazy to create one myself. But saying you cant is just stupid and wrong.

zero to your target range if its out of range use the mildot measurements for proper adjustment

What does that have to do with the topic. Or second thought what does that sentence have to do with anything at all?

Edited by Grildrak

The horizontal lines on the ACOG scope actually correspond to the width of the targets shoulders

themoreyouknow

Erm, I remember briefly reading something about the VERTICAL lines, Horizontal goes across and the CZ goes Vertical.

Anyway I remember reading that if the target is in a reasonable position i.e mostly facing you and full body showing, you can use the vertical lines to gauge the width of the target, all targets are humans (except zombies) and have the same dimensions. I did have a little chart I had scribbled down after playing on the test range but it was rather useless for long distance but medium range up to ~500m I had was quite successful. After a while you get the feel for what range you need to zero in on pretty quickly.

I don't have the sheet anymore but it wouldn't be hard for you to go onto the firing range and calculate what you find.

I was just about to say that, good work sir _b

The horizontal lines on the ACOG scope actually correspond to the width of the targets shoulders

themoreyouknow

That is the case for the ACOG yes but not for the CZ 550. The lines are far to far apart.

That is the case for the ACOG yes but not for the CZ 550. The lines are far to far apart.

I just jumped in the shooting range for a bit and it can definately be applied, it isn't as accurate but it helps

you cant, its a hunters scope, desgned for close shooting on targets that need a large slug

Not really. It just doesn't have mil dots or an inbuilt range finder. Its a fine scope for long range shooting and certainlly not designed for close range shooting. Its a scope that is meant to be taken to a range, sighted in for a specific range and not moved around much after that. Close range scope would be x1.5 scope.

* I just got a CZ, i'm practicing on animals and zombies. Learning to estimate distance is an important skill. A sever with waypoints can help you train.

*Zeroing 300m and then shooting <=300m, aiming center mass will usally give you a hit.

* If you find a way get range i find the drop in the CZ to be quiet large (though i havn't used all the snipers yet or compared them). If a target is 350m away I like to zero in 400m and aim centre mass. That way the shot falls on the upper torso and head. It is easier to shoot for the middle of their body than trying to chase a tiny head (then your high zero often gets you the hs)

* Spend lots of time looking down the scope and remember how big players/zombies are in terms of profile and measure them against the features in the scope. Example. If a player is equal in width to the V reticle you might know that distance to be 200m. If the player is wider they are closer, if they could fit inside it twice they might be 600m+ away. Practice, pratice, practice.

*Always watch where the bullet falls (puff of dirt) and adjust for that!

* The scope on the CZ is not designed to operate like a mildot or the PSO optic. It will take experience. Somebody might be able to work out the base range of the chevron against the outline of a player but that is as good as it will get.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

Erm, I remember briefly reading something about the VERTICAL lines, Horizontal goes across and the CZ goes Vertical.

Anyway I remember reading that if the target is in a reasonable position i.e mostly facing you and full body showing, you can use the vertical lines to gauge the width of the target, all targets are humans (except zombies) and have the same dimensions. I did have a little chart I had scribbled down after playing on the test range but it was rather useless for long distance but medium range up to ~500m I had was quite successful. After a while you get the feel for what range you need to zero in on pretty quickly.

I don't have the sheet anymore but it wouldn't be hard for you to go onto the firing range and calculate what you find.

that's what I was thinking. you could use it similarly to the acog, but you're gonna have to learn from experience

I just jumped in the shooting range for a bit and it can definately be applied

the ACOG has a totally different kind of scope. It does not use mil dots or anything really like it. It is just what line matches the dudes shoulders. For the cz550 you will need to count how many lines fit in between his shoulders and from that make a calculation (like with the normal vertical mil dot you use distance=(height*1000/mil dots). The ACOG's scope is of a totally different sort.

"ACOG

but you're gonna have to learn from experience

That is what you do not have to do. That is what the lines are for. Cold precise calculations without any need for guesses or experience.

Edit: With so many people here claiming you can't calculate with it and that you need too make a guess from experience. I will give you a fricking exact formula if someone can tell me how the shooting range work, is it a server, mod or tutorial mission?

Edited by Grildrak

the ACOG has a totally different kind of scope. It does not use mil dots or anything really like it. It is just what line matches the dudes shoulders. For the cz550 you will need to count how many lines fit in between his shoulders and from that make a calculation (like with the normal vertical mil dot you use distance=(height*1000/mil dots). The ACOG's scope is of a totally different sort.

"ACOG

That is what you do not have to do. That is what the lines are for. Cold precise calculations without any need for guesses or experience.

Edit: With so many people here claiming you can't calculate with it and that you need too make a guess from experience. I will give you a fricking exact formula if someone can tell me how the shooting range work, is it a server, mod or tutorial mission?

oh i see, you don't learn from experience, but you need the shooting range to reverse engineer a formula <_<

oh i see, you don't learn from experience, but you need the shooting range to reverse engineer a formula <_<

Some things you don't have to learn from experience (like this). And I would need to try the gun out to make observations to build the formula on in lack of access to the source code yes.

And the threads topic is if you can estimate the distance using the scope. Not how to guess the distance whatever or not based on experience.

Just from a very quick test (only double checking my data once and doing all measurements on the targets on the map shoot range 2 (they are somewhat close the same width as a player, I think). And you can get it fairly correct by 1100/lines over the shoulders=distance.

That formula is not perfect as I didnt really put enough time into the measuring and it was not even measured on a player character. But even so until someone else that isn't in the "derpderp I don't know how to do it so... it is impossible, derpderpderp" mindset comes along and fells like doing it for real (more precise measurement and on a player). That formula is the best you got.

Edit: 1100 is the product of the scope constant times the width. But as I don't really know the width of my targets I used when calculating this I am only using the product.

Edit2: It is also worth noticing that using the width makes it harder then the scopes using the hight (dudes are taller then they are wide (in most cases)).

Edited by Grildrak

I am we'll aware of that... I was just saying that you can rangefind in a similar fashion to the ACOG, using the width of the targets shoulders

I am we'll aware of that... I was just saying that you can rangefind in a similar fashion to the ACOG, using the width of the targets shoulders

Maybe maybe you could if the thing in the middle was a 'v' and not a '^'. But as it is now you can not range find with it like the ACOG in anyway. They are using a totally different approach to it. Mil dot scopes are giving you things to calculate the distance from given you have the scopes constant and the width/height. The ACOG has the result from that calculation for a specific width painted on the scope. That is a totally different thing but both are precise and efficient. You are just taking a mil dot scope and guessing a distance and saying it is like the ACOG's scope.

Edited by Grildrak

The horizontal space between the vertical lines in the CZ 550 are approximately 0.4 mil apart. You can estimate range in a rudimentary fashion, knowing that. For interest's sake, the line-free gap in the centre is approximately 2 whole mils. Easy if you have a prone target at 90° to you, if it's a front on standing target you'll need to make a guess to target width.

The horizontal space between the vertical lines in the CZ 550 are approximately 0.4 mil apart. You can estimate range in a rudimentary fashion, knowing that. For interest's sake, the line-free gap in the centre is approximately 2 whole mils. Easy if you have a prone target at 90° to you, if it's a front on standing target you'll need to make a guess to target width.

But you never will have a target of high value or intelligencethat stands in such a fasion. And rarely will somebody who isn't those stand like that anyway. The vertical lines in the CZ based on experience with various scopes are windeage and or designed to focus the eye naturally towards to middle cheveron. No scope has a rangefinder that finds the elevation by working with a horizontial/windage axis alone. If somebody figures out a way to measure based on comparing size it is only going to a rough guide. Time better spent learning range/distance estimation, long range shooting practices, all skills that have applications with different weapons/combat situations.

Edited by Trizzo

But you never will have a target of high value or intelligencethat stands in such a fasion....

The horizontal space between the vertical lines in the CZ 550 are approximately 0.4 mil apart. You can estimate range in a rudimentary fashion, knowing that.

Note I say approximately and that you can estimate range in a rudimentary fashion. I'm not saying the thing is as useful as having mildots, I'm saying it's possible with a little nous and guestimation to get a range estimate accurately enough to use the 100m zeroing steps to land a shot. I wasn't intending to walk people through it, I was intending to provide some information that some might find useful. YMMV.

Obviously you missed the posts above regarding the fact it isn't possible with just the scope. A brain is required.

Whats wrong with you? Why dont you read fact before you say something?

Well I guess it´s ok, since no one ever on this forum ever posted this.

YES YOU CAN find the range with the Cz550 scope. The horizontal dots estimate the range of the target by his shoulders. Dont recall exactly how, but yes you can.

I have a hunting rifle with a horizontal, in real life, and thats how it works.

This post was resurrected for a stupid reason and thus shall be closed for that reason, regardless of the latest conversations.

The topic had its time.