Sign in to follow this  
semipr0

So what are we going to do to protect ourselves?

So yanno you go a couple days with your server up and its all good, then suddenly in the wee hours of the morning just as the sun is cresting over the Chernarus horizon, all the vehicles on the server suddenly teleport to a single location....and in 5 minutes three unknown names on the server have teleported to locations like Skalisty Island the middle of no where wilderness north of Vybor, and down to Chernogorosk and killed everyone you have in your team speak including several people that weren't.

You attempt to recover from the situation and find multiple buildings around the server where you could potentially enter a building near the coast has for some reason spawned nearly ten meters of tightly packed wire fencing, sandbags and tank traps in a nearly geometrically accurate pattern.

All of which seems to have occurred in the space of a few minutes.

Nice job there BattlEye....seriously.

Other than pulling GUID's and reporting them.....what are we supposed to do? You can't stop this crap from happening, you can't see it coming before it occurs.

We can't lock the server...thats a given, and we can't divert a hack in progress until its pretty much over.

Oh and more fun, no matter how many times we restart the server all that script spawned area denial stuff comes back with every server restart, regardless of how many times we remove it.

Yanno we're already paying for the server, and we're not asking for safety from people playing the game straight, but theres no way to detect a hack in use til BattlEye has updated to counter it, and then....surprise surprise all the hacker does is change the memory addresses in use on their hack and the hacks are back.

We definitely love playing the game when everyones playing straight, death is acceptable, dying cause a group of people can teleport to every location on the server with active people in it and kill everyone there with next to no effort is not acceptable...and to be honest it sucks to be paying to allow people to do it.

Kick them, ban them, they just come back under a different IP and start over, so the server admin, the poor sap having to pay for everyones fun has to go pull the server logs, parse the data for GUID's and ban the GUID's...when hey, would be nice if the guy footing the bill could play, rather than have to do data analysis simply to deal with a situation that has already occurred and the damage is already done.

Is there some kind of centralized server admin resource that has an up to date list of GUID's we can just add to our ban list? Our host service doesn't seem to keep one.

• Like 8

wow this was pretty much exactly what i was thinking. the hacking is out of control

Agreed we're going down hill fast.

takes me over an hour a day to go threw the logs for my server and uselessly ban people...... i mean the Ban button in the actual server control window in game doesnt even work.

I understand rocket wants to make a ruthless game but I didnt know he meant ruthless towards server owners. Its turning into a new kind of game where the people investing in the game are the targets and the people hacking are the real players.

We need solutions asap rocket please make this a top priority or at least let us lock OUR servers for a quick fix, I have actually had my server taken over and had to stop it for an hour as my only defense thats just wrong.

Anything that can or should be done likely will not be done. The "dead horse" excuse "It's alpha" is going to be continued to be beaten until the mod becomes beta, and then that horse will be beaten till good knows when.

I was after PunkBuster for MONTHS to do something about the hackers in BF3. Little did I realize that PB had only 12 staff, and only 1 to 3 real coders. Do you think that Rocket or Dice/EA is interested in banning hackers? You're kidding yourselves. If they did that, their user base would PLUMMET and their sales numbers (and Rocket's net worth based on the supposed value of DayZ) would drop as well. Where would the aftermarket sales come from? The 20 or 30% not hacking?

Gaming is all dollar-driven, and if you think that they have any REAL interest in stopping hackers, you're kidding yourselves. All that Rocket/Dice/EA/etc care about is how rich them can make themselves. Their 'concern' about us is limited to whether our credit card will clear or not.

A good example is the 'permanent ban'. So, they ban you; you buy a new copy. Do they ban the credit card number the busted copy was bought with? Or the address or the phone #? Nope. Because THEY DON'T CARE. They won't make as many sales if they do that. And Rocket won't have the user numbers to support whatever he thinks he can sell DayZ for.

If you think Rocket really cares about hackers, you're not paying attention.

I've worked in software for over 35 years, and I've done a fair bit of anti-virus, and if you think that hackers aren't pretty easy to bust - well, you'll believe that Rocket is very concerned about this issue.

• Like 2

I was after PunkBuster for MONTHS to do something about the hackers in BF3. Little did I realize that PB had only 12 staff, and only 1 to 3 real coders. Do you think that Rocket or Dice/EA is interested in banning hackers? You're kidding yourselves. If they did that, their user base would PLUMMET and their sales numbers (and Rocket's net worth based on the supposed value of DayZ) would drop as well. Where would the aftermarket sales come from? The 20 or 30% not hacking?

Gaming is all dollar-driven, and if you think that they have any REAL interest in stopping hackers, you're kidding yourselves. All that Rocket/Dice/EA/etc care about is how rich them can make themselves. Their 'concern' about us is limited to whether our credit card will clear or not.

A good example is the 'permanent ban'. So, they ban you; you buy a new copy. Do they ban the credit card number the busted copy was bought with? Or the address or the phone #? Nope. Because THEY DON'T CARE. They won't make as many sales if they do that. And Rocket won't have the user numbers to support whatever he thinks he can sell DayZ for.

If you think Rocket really cares about hackers, you're not paying attention.

I've worked in software for over 35 years, and I've done a fair bit of anti-virus, and if you think that hackers aren't pretty easy to bust - well, you'll believe that Rocket is very concerned about this issue.

Gimme a game (one i like) that mercilessly tracks down hacker, pulls out his every possible info he has on his pc, and permabans him following a lawsuit next week for "breaking" others property and i would pay monthly, heck even daily 20 bucks and more if i have to

the problem is that there is WAY to much the client is able to do

client to server -> hey spawn me a chopper

server to client -> kk np mate

BE -> i dont care, im having a break, someone gave me a mountain dew!

• Like 3

Thats why I'm asking about a centralized server admin collaboration for GUID's.

I'm not expecting Rocket or BattlEye to ever be able to address this situation effectively.

But a server admin collaborative document on Google Docs or something where you could basically pull the days GUID bans and add them to your own list would be good.

Gimme a game (one i like) that mercilessly tracks down hacker, pulls out his every possible info he has on his pc, and permabans him following a lawsuit next week for "breaking" others property and i would pay monthly, heck even daily 20 bucks and more if i have to

First of all we're dealing with cheaters and script kiddies, not hackers. Secondly a lawsuit? Really? lol. If you'd like an example of a company stepping up their game check out (surprisingly) GamersFirst with All Points Bulletin: Reloaded. They outright took the game back from cheaters, not to mention its F2P. As far as the hackers go they're battling some of the better private cheat developers and winning. Did I mention it was F2P? Enjoy yourself.

Anything that can or should be done likely will not be done. The "dead horse" excuse "It's alpha" is going to be continued to be beaten until the mod becomes beta, and then that horse will be beaten till good knows when.

so what do you expect?

rocket swings his fairy stick and *poof* all hacks gone?

sadly its not that easy.

they are doing everything humanly possible.

if you think you can do it better, bring it on or stfu.

Edited by Azrail
  • Like 1

the problem is that there is WAY to much the client is able to do

client to server -> hey spawn me a chopper

server to client -> kk np mate

BE -> i dont care, im having a break, someone gave me a mountain dew!

This is a direct and imminent problem. With DayZ's intended purpose, there is NO reason the server should be accepting custom script commands from clients.

• Like 2

I agree I have been joining servers, 9/10 Servers have hackers. Jets Crashed , Spawned weapons, People with Cop skins, Godmode , Map hack etc etc, Some people's goal is to stay alive for along time etc.

I really think its been getting out of hand too. None of this is being taken care off either. :(

Just to add we just had to shut our server down for the third time today when a flight of A-10 Warthogs made their way across Chernogorosk.

Seems like we're going to spend more time banning GUID's than playing.

Problem is, if there is an exploit found hackers will abuse it. There is only so much we as server admins can do to stop the hackers.

Our server went live and no more than 30mins later people were asking how a helicopter was flying around. Thats a lil insane but the problem is why should I the person paying for you to play on my server for free have to deal with it. Spending hrs going through logs and copy pasting guid's. We try to help yall out by providing you a server but now we cant even play because all we do is look for items/vehicles that arent suppose to be there.

I've sent a technical request to Host Altitude with some examples of how to create a network cron job which collects all bans.txt files, collates the data, removes duplicates and replaces the bans.txt file on the server. Its not that hard a cron job to write and if all server hosts use something similar to it, they're at least protecting their servers from all banned hackers on their server network...which saves their clients problems.

Basically using the hosting network as the dragnet which can then do mass server denials to all GUID bans placed on a server list, simply by pooling their collected data.

It's getting really bad.... It was bad already, but now.... It's really killing the mod. I honestly don't think DayZ team cares, otherwise they would do something about it. If they can't beat the hacks in a public server system then they need to allow private servers. But they won't do that, so they are indirectly supporting hacking. I give it about 15 days to complete meltdown unless something drastic is done.

A cooperative bans list program sounds nice and I fully support that, but I really doubt DayZ will allow it. Most likely this will be terms for blacklist by banning anyone without direct proof on your server.

Edited by walkerbait421

But the problem with getting proof is that server admins are limited so much on what we can actually see in the logs. I have no clue who spawned what and where only way i catch people is when they log into my server with gear thats not suppose to be there. Battle eye is prob one of the easiest anti-cheat engines to get around atm. To be fair though Bohemia needs to get on top of this as well and maybe the dayz crew to allow server admins actually control over their server. And for the admins that wanna do things shady then disconnect them from the hive.

But the problem with getting proof is that server admins are limited so much on what we can actually see in the logs. I have no clue who spawned what and where only way i catch people is when they log into my server with gear thats not suppose to be there. Battle eye is prob one of the easiest anti-cheat engines to get around atm. To be fair though Bohemia needs to get on top of this as well and maybe the dayz crew to allow server admins actually control over their server. And for the admins that wanna do things shady then disconnect them from the hive.

I totally agree with that if no one's gonna handle the hackers this is a good idea.

so what do you expect?

sadly its not that easy.

And I'm supposed to just take your word that they are doing everything when they haven't commented recently on the amount of hacking going on?

Conspiracy theories aside, all the players have the power to get their attention. The server owners can cancel their servers, and players can quit playing.

so what do you expect?

sadly its not that easy.

Whew! Finally! Someone able to give me access to the root system so that I can 'bring it on'!

Just give me the link, a username/password to the admin and the same for development, and I WILL bring it on.

Otherwise, STFU.

• Like 1

Whew! Finally! Someone able to give me access to the root system so that I can 'bring it on'!

Just give me the link, a username/password to the admin and the same for development, and I WILL bring it on.

Otherwise, STFU.

All server hosts need to do is run a cron job which collates all bans.txt from their server networks, compiles a new copy removing duplicates and installs the new bans.txt file daily. It won't get all the hackers but it raises a much higher network level defense level.

I'm about to shut my server off. It's just unplayable. Like it has already been stated, I'm spending more time trying to ban hackers than playing the game.

• Like 2

And I'm supposed to just take your word that they are doing everything when they haven't commented recently on the amount of hacking going on?

Conspiracy theories aside, all the players have the power to get their attention. The server owners can cancel their servers, and players can quit playing.

Yeah - and neither of those things will happen. Just look at Battlefield 3; RIFE with hacks - and nothing (almost) is done.

Just today, a friend was playing on a server and killed another player. About 2 minutes later, he's turned into a goat. I had no idea that that could be done, and while it's funny as hell <LOL!>, my friend lost his weapons and his SUV. THEN - after about 5 minutes, he suddenly died for no apparent reason.

Players have no power - forget that. I have a server that I've stopped and am going to go thru PayPal to get my money back on because HFB Servers can't make it work right, and if I don't get my money back, I'll file in Precinct Court (in Texas). I've never lost a suit yet, and yes - I sue corporations about once a year. Remember, corporations are people, my friend!