dead ben

Wildies vs Coasties. Which are you?

When you hear the sound of the ocean do you immediately take off north (or west if you spawn on the east coast) or do you head toward one of the many coastal cities and try to survive there?

Personally I think the survival rate is much higher in the wilderness. Yeah, I'm antisocial, but I've been alive since 5/10/2012. I've got a few friends that help me out as we major cities and large towns. We usually have full back packs but it's cyclical in what we are short on, it may be food one day and ammo the next.

Some tips I've found that have helped me survive for so long.

1. Enter towns alone only if necessary.

2. Find a knife and matches. Put your fires out quick, don't forget to pick up your fireplace.

3. Find a source of water and livestock

4. Stick around an area for a few days, then move to a totally different area and learn it.

5. Shoot first or run. Basically trust no one. I've passed up entering a barn or hospital with needed supplies in it because I've heard gun shots close by.

6. Winchester over Enfield.

7. Learn your directions

8. Cherno, Elektro, and NW Airfield...you're on your own.

9. When you need to stop to look at something, hide when you do it and look around before you stop.

Common stuff, I know. It's lonely in the field, even with friends, but it's possible to survive a long time.

Wildman Dead Ben

The only town on the coast I regulary visit is Berezino. It's much less populated than Chernogorsk or Elektrozavodsk.

When I die I usually go straight to Elektrozavodsk or Chernogorsk, there I loot the supermarket, café, firestation, church, policestation/school (whatever you wanna call it), the hospital and then leave the town asap. Next stop is usually Stary Sobor and Novy Sobor or Polana, then NW or NE Airfield where I meet up with my group of people.

I stay away from the 2 noob cities on the south coast. Reading the chat they all get so excited going to the city only to die by the snipers bullets or over run by zombies, but they respawn and go straight back!

I like to go north and pick through the small hamlets and towns.

Wilderness for me! But i suppose the name implied that already. The only times i've died are in settlements. More often by bullets than bites...

Depends on how much action you want i guess.

For me the goal is to stay alive, so i head towards the wildernis.

For me it depends if I'm with someone or not. If I have a group with me, we'll brace the coastal cities. Raiding the usual places, hospital, church, cafe, shop etc...

If I'm on my own I tend to head inland and start looking for supplies in one of the woodland villages or smaller towns. I'm more than happy with a winchester, food, water and maybe if i'm lucky a knife, matches, and a compass. Thats normally enough for me to make my way up north to join up with my mates.

Loot towns at night for supplies, make to the wild to survive during the day.

Cities, airfields and so on are death traps.

As mentioned before, if you want to survive, you head inland. If you want to run through town with zombies chasing you and get shot in the leg to be eaten, stay on the coast.

I've done both, but I live in the wilderness.

I don't hang around the southern coast unless I died and I need to gather up fresh equipment. Once I have a good revolver and rifle I head straight north and away from all the griefing.

Obviously most people who play this game have not posted in here yet, because in my experience most people in a server are near Chern/Elektro xD A lot of them have probably never been even as far north as Pusta.

I died a few times down south, then decided I would live inland. First time I tried I ended back in Elektro because of a navigational error (and died a grim death). Second time now, I've been alive a few days, avoided a few bandits, and live from raiding barns, small towns, etc.... I have grown to love the Winchester.

I have wandered south in the nights though, just to watch the flares and listen to the gunfire in the cities.....

Those who want to survive head inland, those who don't... don't.

You can do well fast on the coast, but it's a short existence

yea im expecting to die any time now on the coast, everytime i've gone inland next time i log in my location has reset to the coast and all my travels for nothing :( still 5 days alive in cherno is an achievement im proud of. admittedly I have had some fun at nights picking off people, but i want to explore the east coast and will do so once i figure out the new stuff in the patch (most importantly how easy it is to move during nights now without dying)

Coast is for the younguns who like to live fast and die young. It sounds like a fun and exciting adventure, but I've been playing for a week and still haven't died once. I'm sure as hell not going to tarnish my record by throwing myself into a city filled with Zs and untrustworthy humans.

One day, I'm sure I'll visit Cherno. Until then, I'll stick to the countryside and live in peace.

I tend to stay inland, people are usually friendlier there. And rarer. All in all good for me!

I went to elektro ONCE, because I decided "Fuck it" after losing me 10 day character in the most bizarre way possible. Had to shoot four survivors trying to kill me in self defense, so now I am deemed a bandit.

YAY FOR MAIN CITIES!

I prefer to live in the wilderness but lately i've been living on skalisty island off of the coast. Its quite peaceful not many bandits and there's spawns.

My haunts include the Black Forest, Zelen and surrounding villages, and sometimes I'll hit the Sobors to watch the carnage. I won't head up to the airport in daylight, and until I have NVGs, won't go there at all.

No one goes to Berezino. I live up there.

I thought that too, until I got one-shotted by a sniper.

my fault really, no city is truly safe.

Started playing dayz a few days ago and was still just north of cherno before the server restarted me at electro at night!

That session was intense, lots of ppl shooting and flares all over the place. I eventually sneaked by patch of beach near the docks which were pitch dark. I intend to go further north today as I ran into bandits at the power plant. Luckily they were poor shots and I missed them in the hills

When I spawn, I don't really give a shit about my character until I get good loot. I'll always hit up Cherno, Elektro, of if I'm lucky enough to spawn near it, Balota. Most of the time I'll get gunned down while waiting for friends, but once/if we meet up we'll head north in search of better weaponry.

I've been fucking around in Cherno and Elektro since that's where I've been spawning.

It's like the fucking wild west there. I've never been because I've just been sensible and gone inland.

I've shot 2 bandits and 3 survivors tonight. One survivor ran from my bullets right off the roof of an office building in Cherno........... thanks for the beans.

Btw, I've died repeatedly.

I was waiting on loot spawns in the Firehouse in Elektro when I walk my happy ass down stairs, oh hi Mr. bandit, 3 to the chest and down he goes. He had some nice starter gear including a map, compass and watch and a CZ as well as precious 1911 mags. But just as I'm about to get done organizing my new loot, there it is, another survivor in the side door, he freaks, shoots at me, I shoot at him, we both die.

Cherno and Elektro are too hardcore for me. Yeah, I know people talk about how smart guys go up north (hell I do) but staying in Cherno and Elektro is like living in a bad movie about some terrible neighborhood.

You can always hear gun shots, all that's missing is some raging car fires and sirens.

Oh yeah, got my 3rd death to zombies finally.

Fingers crossed for a Solnichni spawn.