Awsomest

Making 2 Different Characters

Could i have 2 different characters without doing all that regedit stuff? If i buy 2 different copies 2 different accounts, 1 per account would that work?

Start up Operation Arrowhead normally without DayZ, go to profile, then select new. You can have several profiles with different characters, I think.

I wish it was that simple. Unfortunatly you cannot play 2 seperate characters that way.

Yes buying two different copies of the game would work, there is a thread somewhere that will tell you how to do it I believe. Try searching

Yea i've seen alot of posts but they all involve using regedit i dont see why that would be needed i dont want to mess with things i dont quite unserstand.

Using regedit and a loader is actually very simple. Just Export the two cdkeys from the Registry to someplace on your desktop. name each one (Either the account names or what have you) so you can tell the difference.

Just double click, and it will apply that key to the registry (IE, Update it) and you can then launch the game through a loader or w/e and it will load the account that you had updated through the Registry.

I've thought about making a video on how to do this (Although it applies to the Steam version of the game)

Using regedit and a loader is actually very simple. Just Export the two cdkeys from the Registry to someplace on your desktop. name each one (Either the account names or what have you) so you can tell the difference.

Just double click, and it will apply that key to the registry (IE, Update it) and you can then launch the game through a loader or w/e and it will load the account that you had updated through the Registry.

I've thought about making a video on how to do this (Although it applies to the Steam version of the game)

So if i follow a guide and do this i can still use SixLauncher and all i have to do is double click the file?

no, your character is based on your registry key.

if you were to buy two copies on two different steam accounts and install them on two differnt computers that would work fine, but therwise one steam account ( the second install) is likely to overwrite the first key. I just do the regedit method myself

((comment based on the first two comments))

Edited by F4LK5

no, your character is based on your registry key.

if you were to buy two copies on two different steam accounts and install them on two differnt computers that would work fine, but therwise one steam account ( the second install) is likely to overwrite the first key. I just do the regedit method myself

I guess i will just do the regedit way. I wasnt planing on using 1 account i was going to use2 but i guess since people are suggesting Regedit ill do that

If you have 2 accounts on steam you can run both easily without modifying any files or registry values. I have 2 characters on 2 different steam accounts. They both run off the exact same installation so i only ever have to update the game once and to play the other character i simply change steam accounts, the only preperation i had to do was copy and paste my command line prompt from one account to the other. Your character is tied to your 'cdkey' but fortunately for steam users your cd key is stored within your steam account so its pretty simple.

If you have 2 accounts on steam you can run both easily without modifying any files or registry values. I have 2 characters on 2 different steam accounts. They both run off the exact same installation so i only ever have to update the game once and to play the other character i simply change steam accounts, the only preperation i had to do was copy and paste my command line prompt from one account to the other. Your character is tied to your 'cdkey' but fortunately for steam users your cd key is stored within your steam account so its pretty simple.

You wouldnt mind explaining a bit more would you? This seems like what i wanted to do.

I've made a very simple guide for this here

http://dayzmod.com/f...ared-computers/

Follow the steps slowly and it will be very straight forward

I was thinking about using this guide i just had onequestion. Do i need to reinstall my Arma CO or can i do this with the version ive been using

You can just log in with your second steam account and launch the game using the respective steam account to initiate a CD-key change. It should work, if not reinstalling is the easiest way (albeit the longest). Checking integrity of local cache might also work (not 100% sure).

I know registry files look daunting, but setting up right means you wont have to log in/out of steam every time you want to change acocunts. Instead you can just double click a file and it's done :)

It will just be abused and people will use a second account for storage or to respawn to defend their camp the just got shot in. NO SECOND CHARACTER PLEEEEASE!

I havent looked at that guide, im in bed and on my phone dont really have the energy. What im saying is that if you were to make 2 steam accounts and buy the game on both accounts, you only need to download and install the game and mod once, and updates only need to be applied once. It can be ran normally through steam with out any 'fiddling' around. Why? Because steam uses the same instalation no matter how many times u change accounts as long as u have purchased the game on each.

Running the game through steam is alot better than using 3rd party software, in my experience its just another layer of software which can cause problems. Its a little bit bit more complicated doin it tge old way but much friendlier when its done. If youd like to follow up send me a private msg and ill do my best to get on skype with you and explain better.

It will just be abused and people will use a second account for storage or to respawn to defend their camp the just got shot in. NO SECOND CHARACTER PLEEEEASE!

Not really some player may do this but it really doesnt effect you. I know it would be gay but it wouldnt hurt you. Me aswell as many other just want 2 characters to play solo when friends are offline or for siblings to use.

I havent looked at that guide, im in bed and on my phone dont really have the energy. What im saying is that if you were to make 2 steam accounts and buy the game on both accounts, you only need to download and install the game and mod once, and updates only need to be applied once. It can be ran normally through steam with out any 'fiddling' around. Why? Because steam uses the same instalation no matter how many times u change accounts as long as u have purchased the game on each.

Running the game through steam is alot better than using 3rd party software, in my experience its just another layer of software which can cause problems. Its a little bit bit more complicated doin it tge old way but much friendlier when its done. If youd like to follow up send me a private msg and ill do my best to get on skype with you and explain better.

I see, like you im tired and lazy XD. Im going to go to bed and look it up a bit more tommorrow ill PM if i need any help Thanks!

Edited by Awsomest

First off, learn what you're talking about. Steam *is* third party software plus no software except steam is used in my tutorial - registry editor is an integral part of the Windows operating system. Secondly, I only recommend installing the second copy in order to ensure you obtain the key properly. Simply changing steam accounts doesn't necessarily initiate a key change. I think the combination of my in-depth tutorial and "RTribesman's" inability to understand the term "third party software" clearly demonstrates I know what I am talking about. I recommend just following the guide, Awsomest, and save yourself the invetability of getting stuck and confused.

Edited by DocTolly

First off, learn what you're talking about. Steam *is* third party software plus no software except steam is used in my tutorial - registry editor is an integral part of the Windows operating system. Secondly, I only recommend installing the second copy in order to ensure you obtain the key properly. Simply changing steam accounts doesn't necessarily initiate a key change. I think the combination of my in-depth tutorial and "RTribesman's" inability to understand the term "third party software" clearly demonstrates I know what I am talking about. I recommend just following the guide, Awsomest, and save yourself the invetability of getting stuck and confused.

Calm down there, when i said "third party software" i meant software that is in no way tied to the game and particularly things like sixupdater or dayzcommander... i was not specificly referring to your guide in anything i said as i havent read it and im not sure what it entails, so chill out. The reason i tend to not class steam as third party in this case is because when the game is purchased through steam it is officially turned into a "launcher" for your specific purchased game. The reason i reccomended the original poster to use it is that it also automatically manages CD keys through your account rather than locally on your machine. As ive said i have 2 steam accounts and use both of them to play 2 seperate DayZ chars hassle free with no requirement to go near regedit. The only thing i needed to do was set launch parameters in properties for the second account. Its clear your guide works and is a method of having 2 accounts on 1 machine. It's also clear that my method works(seen as im using it daily) and is a method of having 2 accounts on one machine. I dont think this is a competition to see who's method is better, so you can leave out the "dissing". The OP asked for help and he got plenty of replies with numerous options and solutions and that is what forums generally are about, an original post followed by replies of discussion, opinion and general help.

ANZ 7 seems to have its own hive server running or something like that. Whenever i go on there I have a seperate character than the rest of the servers