Goose Springsteen

The Winchester 1866 or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love 19th Century Firearms

Hey Guys,

I just thought I'd make a thread that outlines why I think that the Winchester 1866 is by far the most practical gun in the game, it's quite simple really the reason is AMMO.

That M16 or AKM you have might be nice but good luck finding enough ammo for it without risky raids on military bases. On the other hand if you walk into a city and find that you aren't drowning under a huge pile of Winchester pellets and slugs you are most definitely doing something wrong. This is what makes the Winchester so useful because the slugs are quite accurate out to a few hundred meters and the pellets are really useful against the Zeds up close. It's a jack of all trades that is well suited to the majority of situations.

Personally speaking I at one time had over 300 rounds of 1866 ammo - come to think of it I think the prevalence of ammo may be a little extreme, perhaps it should be toned down a little bit :P?

What do you guys think is the 1866 fine as is or should there be somewhat of an ammo nerf?

Cheers,

Goose

Definitely too much 1886 ammo; either replace it with other ammo types or more empty cans. I actually found three Winchesters in a single barn a few hours ago.

I have to say that I find the lack of eastern european weapons and an over abundance of US/oldwest weapons to be a little strange. Where are all the SKS's and mosin nagants?

Agreed, I'd like to find many more eastern/old weapons and less tactical M4s, M249s, DMRs, and the like.

I'd also like to see different types of ammo spawn everywhere.

Agreed, most farmers dont own military spec weapons. Leave them to only be found in military depots. Bolt action rifles and double barrel shotguns ftw.

I love the Winchester, really the only primary i look for atm in game for the same reason of having so much ammo around. I would like to see some more "older" weapons mind you all i seem to be finding are Winchester, CZ's and Lee En-fields lol.

I have to say that I find the lack of eastern european weapons and an over abundance of US/oldwest weapons to be a little strange. Where are all the SKS's and mosin nagants?

I fully agree.

The Mosin should make the zombies explode with a 5m splash from guts flying everywhere, have a muzzle flash the size of a truck that also does damage and attract all zombies within 5 klicks. :D

Went to the airfield. Found an M4A1, an AKM, an AK-74, and.. a Winchester.

I found two magazines for the AKM. (Promptly after ****ing up royally.), one NATO magazine (lost to the black holes in the ALICE pack), and more ammo for the Winchester than I could literally carry.

It makes sense that farmers have lots of Winchesters.

It makes even more sense that an army base would have more ammo than 2 clips for the ak.

What I would like to see is more loot places. Right now there seems to be only civilian type loot and military type loot laying around.

How about certain loot for homes, stores, roadblocks, industries, barns, military tents, military bunkers etc.

It makes even more sense that an army base would have more ammo than 2 clips for the ak.

Hey, this is just what happens to be left over after others have looted the strip.

I'd like to see the buckshot ammo removed, that rifle fires a .44 cartridge. For now just removing the pellet ammo from the game will make the rifle more realistic while also reducing overall ammo for it.

I walk around with a 1866 Winchester and a .45 Revolver, why? plentifull of ammo.

In my opinion, drastically needs to be toned down.

I walk around with a 1866 Winchester and a .45 Revolver' date=' why? plentifull of ammo.

[/quote']

It could almost be a scene out of a Western :cool:!

Agreed though, there is way too much ammo for the 1866.

I walk around with a 1866 Winchester and a .45 Revolver' date=' why? plentifull of ammo.

[/quote']

funny, those two weapons seem to be some of the strongest too. i like how u start out with makarov now. what if saiga shotguns were put in the mod in place of the Winchester? lol

The Winchester is mostly close range, but it's great against Zombies.

I don't know the average distance of first time player encounters (or firefights), but my guess is that it's beyond the meaningful range of a Winchester - which is why I use the Enfield.

The Winchester is one of the best weapons in the game for PvE, and by far the easiest one to obtain AND to get ammo for. It's a one-shot killer of Zombies and can be used to pick off Zombies from ~100m without alerting others.

It suffers at ranges >200m and against human opponents sporting automatic weapons.

And yes, the pellet ammo should be removed from the game.

The Winchester is an insane zombie killer. Ammo spawn is super high, and the gun makes almost no noise, which I have no reason why. Hell, I don't even understand why some weapons are SO much louder than other. For example, why does the M1014 make so much more noise than the Winchester? I know that this is somewhat realistic (that some weapons are louder than others), but some of the values (looking at the wiki) don't make much sense to me when you think about them relative to their counterparts.

I'd like to see the buckshot ammo removed' date=' that rifle fires a .44 cartridge. For now just removing the pellet ammo from the game will make the rifle more realistic while also reducing overall ammo for it.

[/quote']

Actually, i think the winchester is just a placeholder for any old type of shotgun.

Id bet it gets replaced by either a double barreled shotgun or a pump action somewhere along the line...