Stealth Pyro

Idea for new bandit system

So, I know the bandit skin is about to be removed, and I totally approve of that idea. The concern is: how will we be able to identify bandits now? Well, I just thought of a good effect against bandits that isn't as severe as having a permanent bandit skin that can spotted from a mile away.

What if, as a result of having the blood of other players on your hands/body, the zombies are more attracted to bandits? The bandits' visibility and noise would no longer be their only concern to hide from zombies. They now have the stench of their victims' blood on them, which zombies can smell from pretty far away.

A "high level" bandit that is very well equipped would now have a rather fair weakness. If survivors move into a town and see a horde of zombies moving in on a player, they can now somewhat infer that they may be a bandit. On the other hand, if the bandits can find some water, they can wash themselves off and no longer have this penalty on them unless they kill another player.

Yay, or nay?

Nay I say, Nayyyy

Why punish someone for their choices by making town sweeps simply impossible. Blood and smell on the player model from killing another makes no sense to me, it's not like he wrung your neck or anything.

And if so whats stopping a 'bandit' from taking a dip in the sea/ a pond?

Almost everyone has a microphone, it's not too hard to speak on direct chat or whatever to work something out. In a post-apocalyptic setting, everyone is on edge, why trust some random stranger you've never seen before? In my opinion avoidance is key to survival, if neither person shoots after 10 seconds of contact just maintain eye contact and back off; if you both have microphones, perhaps maybe then you can think about cooperation (Now that you have his name).

Never stop moving, it makes it look like you're about to type (= free shot)

Yay' date=' or nay?

[/quote']

I like it you're on the right track. If we can't find any reputation or identity-based solutions for dealing with trust, there will have to be tangible consequences for losing humanity.

But there is a problem: this idea will make people think twice about becoming a bandit, but once they're bandits (and a lot of them lose their humanity by self-defence) they would be path-dependant, as killing other players would be the only way to survive if they can't sneak past zombies.

We're having a pretty big discussion on bandit skins on the announcements board, here is a link to my post, look at the three last paragraphs to see what I propose :http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3693&page=53

There does not have to be any tangible consequence to losing humanity. You do not need to arbitrarily punish anyone for their choice to kill a survivor over a zed.

TKJ

Aha! What if visiting the church can raise your humanity rating? Beg for forgiveness of your sins and be cleared of them :) You would have to bow down for a minute or two and then maybe perform some sort of quest task like slay 20 zombies or help a few humans (your bandit status would be temporarily cleaned for X time so that people don't just shoot on sight)

TKJ said it simply. If we punish players for anything (which we certainly do), make it for something logical. There's no logic in making Z's more attracted to bandits because of blood on their clothes for the following reasons:

1. There are many reasons why someone might get bloody, such as: administering aid to someone wounded, close contact with a Z, or being wounded themselves.

2. Most kills are at range, where blood would never reach.

3. Survivors can kill bandits just as easily, and blood is blood no matter who you are.

4. Bathing or changing your clothes would remove the scent of blood: neither are implemented, but it's unfair not to give the option if it's going to adversely affect them in the game.

I imagine you already know this and are only using this blood reasoning as a justification for singling out the bandits, and therein lies the problem with your idea.

Thank you, Synchronicity.

I am also fighting for those who are asking for (get this) a 'new' skin for uber-wonderful players. I think that is a TERRIBLE IDEA as well. Why? For the exact same reason. They are asking for something like a 'Sheriff' skin to single them out when they do wonderful things, like transfusions, or bandaging - what have you.

It's an arbitrary assignment for perceived in-game atrocities or heroic efforts. It's a giant target painted on your back, saying, "Hey look at me! SHOOT ME!"

Don't get me wrong, I think if you want to wear that skin (Sheriff, Bandit, - hell, dress as Beelzebub if you want) that you should CHOOSE to wear it. Then, you have nobody but yourself to blame when people shoot first, and ask questions later.

TK "I fight for the User" J

There does need to be a down side to being a bandit, otherwise the game will just descend in to a deathmatch on a very big map. There isn't really any reason NOT to kill everyone you see already (other than if your playing with friends), there are no zombies or content that requires 2+ players.

There does need to be a down side to being a bandit' date=' otherwise the game will just descend in to a deathmatch on a very big map.[/quote']

Says you. I don't shoot everybody I see, regardless of their skin. It sounds like it's your type that is the problem. (Sounds pretty insulting, when the shoe is on the other foot, doesn't it?)

TK "I fight for the User!" J

This makes no sense. If a bandit shot a survivor from 300 metres away with their CZ 550, does the survivor's blood mystically splash 300 metres to land on the bandit?

The entire point of bandit skins being removed is so there's more distrust, you can't just see a guy and know he's a bandit. You'll either play smart and avoid people all together, or risk encountering someone.

You don't magically know someone's past by having a look at them.

I myself am not a bandit, I usually actually hang out on the hills north of Cherno HUNTING bandits.

Bandits should appear no different from any other player.

There does need to be a down side to being a bandit' date=' otherwise the game will just descend in to a deathmatch on a very big map.[/quote']

Says you. I don't shoot everybody I see, regardless of their skin. It sounds like it's your type that is the problem. (Sounds pretty insulting, when the shoe is on the other foot, doesn't it?)

you are right there should not be a down side but really something needs to be done to control all these random survivor bandits i was walking at airfield the other day i see a survivor he says hes friend we go loot a hangar and then i see food there i walk there and he shoots me then he says i needed the food (my friend came in and killed him tho) he didnt even take anything else just one can of food that he could have just asked for

you are right there should not be a down side but really something needs to be done to control all these random survivor bandits i was walking at airfield the other day i see a survivor he says hes friend we go loot a hangar and then i see food there i walk there and he shoots me then he says i needed the food (my friend came in and killed him tho) he didnt even take anything else just one can of food that he could have just asked for

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." Such is the price we pay. You can't say 'something needs to be done' when it comes down to permitted gameplay mechanics. In the end, you got a good story, and a learning experience, so I'll tell you that you came out on top.