Sign in to follow this  
ben_c

Harsher Death?

Before I posted this I did a search and nothing came up, so....

Watching the Sidestrafe/Rocket interview on YouTube the phrase 'make death harsher' came up. The context of the phrase was in some speculation between Rocket & Sidestrafe on the future direction of the mod.

What if when you are killed everything you own despawns. Obviously all your gear you are carrying will but I'm talking about anything you have stashed in tents, or vehicles etc. Everything. Including those tents and vehicles themselves. Gone.

No more being killed, respawn on the beach and run to your cache of 300 rifles and gearing up again and carrying on.

It's late, I've had a long day and this is just a very rough thought.

• Like 1

This is really only an effective solution for people that play solo. However, it's unrealistic for people who are part of a group.

Player A and B play together. Both store their things in Player A's tent. Suddenly, inexplicably, all of Player B's stuff is gone, because Player A died?

Sense.

No, I understand the premise you have, and the idea, but it needs a different functional mechanic.This is extremely harsh, but a day long (or however long it might take to cycle through unsaved equipment) server ban might actually be prudent. I'm not sure.

I am 100% for this. I'm for harsher deaths. All your stuff and everything assciated with your character should be gone and you should have to start from square one. A good way to make death harsher is to value what you have gained more. Knowing all your stuff you have worked so hard to get will disapears when you die is a good first step to this.

I'm not a fan of leveling up like an rpg but another way to make you value life would be to have skills you learn, like being a trained medic like he talks about in the interview, and of course you should lose these skills when you die.

That's a good point there Zetal.

Let's say player A loots a 'headshot 3000 rifle with zoom-o-matic scope' and that is somehow tagged uniquely to player A (I'm no tech head so no idea on that part but you get the idea) and stores that in a tent by owned by Player B. Player A dies and that rifle despawns, Player B tent is unaffected.

If we reverse that and player A owns a tent and player B stores something there and player A dies....how do we ensure that player B isn't unfairly penalised?

Like I said, just a rough idea and always interested in others opinions.

I should note also, that making players items despawn ruins banditry as well.

But still, removing any item that a player could have had ruins someones day- even just making items tagged vanish seriously affects teammates, since they could have been relying on that food being in storage still, or a particular item a player was carrying.

There is no easy solution to this problem- and it is a problem.

I think that we should not make death harsher in terms of making people lose. I think we should make death harsher in terms of making staying alive more valuable.

However, to do that, it would require some serious overhaul or additional system put in place. At least I would think so.

A stat system where all of your stats are reset is one way, but I'm too sleepy right now to think of anything more creative or simple.

Stats are unacceptable to me, and a large majority of the community. Simply put, limiting actions based on arbitrary numbers just isn't fit for what DayZ is. This is a survival sim, not an arcade shooter.

Stats are unacceptable to me, and a large majority of the community. Simply put, limiting actions based on arbitrary numbers just isn't fit for what DayZ is. This is a survival sim, not an arcade shooter.

True, but Rocket stated in his latest interview that a class system or character unique skills are a possibility in the future. he intends on curbing PvP from being the sole focus and placing survival and something beyond as the one day focus.

However, that was mostly a "want to do" list as opposed to an "will happen" list. Just placing that thought out there.

Remember, survival in real life usually ends with a lot of people collecting together, building some walls, and rebuilding civilization with arts, crafts, and music.

But I'm sure someone will think of something eventually that will contibute to the overall game, while at the same time be less restrictive.

What if when you died you become locked out of game till next day.Can you imagine the addicted players screaming on mic NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ......it would make for awesome vids to watch.;)

What if when you died you become locked out of game till next day.Can you imagine the addicted players screaming on mic NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ......it would make for awesome vids to watch. ;)

It would, but if You are like me, You end up dead a lot. and fairly quickly. I would stop playing that game in a couple days because I wouldn't actually be playing it at all.

What if when you died you become locked out of game till next day.Can you imagine the addicted players screaming on mic NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ......it would make for awesome vids to watch. ;)

Consider that the average lifespan is only 50 minutes. Now, do you see the problem with this idea?

Edited by Flying Mathias

Maybe instead of being locked out of the game, you only get locked out of a server for a day?

I like the idea of one life a day per server. You die in US 1 you can't re-enter US 1 for12 hours. It's not a full day, but it's more than long enough.

You're still welcome to join any other server you like and start fresh.

If this were the case there would be no reason to have a tent. There'd be no reason to go past the snatch and grab stage.

Wouldn't shock me either if groups got a mule character to set up tents and then just log off and survive indefinitely.

Edited by Peaches

Totally with the 1 life per server per X amount of time.

Don't want to see a person running towards his tent and getting to full power in couple of minutes.

Edited by cr0kes

If this were the case there would be no reason to have a tent. There'd be no reason to go past the snatch and grab stage.

Wouldn't shock me either if groups got a mule character to set up tents and then just log off and survive indefinitely.

Might make tents more valuable. Maybe setting up a tent could allow you to spawn there on your next life, providing someone didn't come along and destroy it.

Maybe reduce their inventory down to about one rifle and one pistol worth of space. Let's you start your next spawn better equipped, but not armed to the teeth.

Then you got a choice, fill it with food and water. Maybe a couple other necessities. Maybe just put a rilfe in their with a couple clips and take what you need from someone else.

I support a 1 hour death ban on the particular server you were playing on.

• Like 1

4 Hour Hive ban upon death.....oh the tears that will flow from the addicted.Sweet delicious tears as Rocket calls them.

• Like 1

I do agree that death needs to be harsher and there needs to be some kind of mechanic to reduce the "Oh I died, now I have an hour run to my tent" or "Man I'm glad my clan is big enough to have a vehicle and will come get me" mentality.

The intent of the sim is that you are on the beach. You did not 'respawn' That last character you played saw this: YOU ARE DEAD. Not, YOU ARE "INCONVIENCED". This is supposed to be a simulated apocalypse survival, not a military sim with melee npc's

Server death seems to be the best idea, but I don't think even a 12 hour ban is needed, you could do 2-4 hours and have the same effect. Life will become that much more precious when you log on with your friends for an evening of Day Z with the knowledge that if you die, your gametime for the night ends early. Time is precious, especially leisure time, and this is supposed to be more of an anti-game/sim than a game. I know some people will hate this idea 'arbitrairily' dictating their time in game , but it will make the intensity of the sim that much more palpable, and its that intensity that most of us fell in love with in the first place.

Cons? Well you'll see a temporary uptick in general asshattery with PK'ers* sniping the towns until clans start policing those areas, and something would really have to be done to nix hacking before this was implemented. Also, for people really dedicated to the game it won't really stop the respawn/regear in minutes, as simply setting up shop in 2 or more servers will allow you to continue to operate like this.

*I differentiate between bandits (who will kill you for loot) and PK'ers who kill you for no in-sim reason.

• Like 3

4 Hour Hive ban upon death...

use the search function

recognise the problems

stop rehashing bullshit

tl;dr it's not the addicted who will suffer, it's all those chumps dieing in the first 10 minutes

• Like 1

This all sounds good, until your player glitches in stairs, breaks his arms and legs, and passes out as you watch yourself bleed out and die (happened to me). There goes 8 hours of your life you'll regret investing after a bug ruins everything in 5 seconds. Fix the game first, then you can talk about these types of things, until then, fuck it.

Lock out doesn't work because it is to harsh against new players.

Despawning gear doesn't work IMO because those are all items that are now a part of the world, a whole group may depend on them and finding a tent out in bfe is always fun so I think they should simply stay once put up, maybe have a week w/out login despawn.

As rocket has talked about adding skills into the game I think this would be the best approach, losing skills you built up in game could be very painfull. Skills at all are controverisal but I think they could be implemented w/out stopping people from doing things, a get better as you go kind of thing with a cap at 100% for each.

Examples:

Chopper Pilot: You know how to opperate a helicopter. (100% When you get into the chopper its as it is now) (0% when you get in there is a timer before you are able to start it because you don't know how to work the controls and preflight) This wouldn't effect flying the chopper at all.

Gun handling: (This could be specific for each weapon in the game or types or whatever) As your skill grows you are faster at reloading, unpacking, maybe less aim wobble.

Bullets: At 0% you can't tell similiar amunition apart and see a generick rifle/handgun/shotgun bullet in your inventory. If someone unfamiliar with shotguns looked at a 10, 12, 18, 20, 28 guage shells they would probably struggle, even worse for handgun loads .38, .40, 9mm, .45, 10mm.

The crux is effecting people that die quickly before they have a chance to build any skills have to make them butt hurt over dieing too.

The answer is adding a pre spawn skill selection with point buy. But once you spawn you only get more points back in your point buy que by a timer, this could then be set to 24h or whatever to go back to full so if you die right away your next character will be worse off still and you won't be able to spawn a "normal" starting character till the next day. ((This could be a progressive decline also, or setup with a formula.)) Also you could be rewarded for your character staying alive in game, so each day alive in game you get more points for your next characters point buy que, this could help take the sting out of a month old character who is master of everything dieing, it would still suck but also reward you for your success.

Say the total max skill is 2k 20 skills at 100 each so your point by could be 200 normally but your "bank" or que is degraded by 50 or 100 or fully after you spawn in. So if you die in 5 minutes your next character has 150, 100 or zero or whatever.

Edited by xXI Mr Two IXx

While I'm not a bandit and I don't usually ever attack anyone for supplies, this would ruin that aspect of the game. I've survived attacks from bandits before when I was like 2 hours fresh off the beach to hatchet them to death when they came after me and then be pretty well set with some supplies. Sure, it doesn't happen often but it's realistic. I'm not opposed to making the despawn time on dead player's items shorter, but to remove them immediately at the point of death would take away from this aspect of the game.

How about giving worse starting conditions in order to punish death?

- Instead of entering the world with 12000 health, start with 8000.

- Start without a backpack or the smallest 6 slot backpack instead of an 8 slot backpack.

- Make loot more rare.

- Increase the size of the world so that getting back to camp might take half a day or longer.

There are a lot of methods that can be used to punish death. But the real question is, is it really necessary?

I have a lot of time to play now, but in the near future I have less time. Getting killed might result in me losing days of work.

Isn't that itself already a big penalty?