Shorttallguy

Mystery in DayZ

I just watched a great interview with Rocket over at

and I was inspired. It seems like Rocket really understands how special what he has going on is and he has the exact direction I would like to see this game go in in mind. He touched on a couple things that i completely agree with and were very close to ideas that I would like to see in the game. One thing he said was, people are running out of things to do in game and they need more options.

My idea, along with making what you already do, like getting guns and food, harder and more scarce, is the addition mystery. For example, what if there were things in the world you could investigate to solve problems? Like say there was an event and clues as to what had happened and if you followed those clues you would recieve a reward. There are already tools within the game to do this.

Here are a few specific examples to help you better understand what I have in mind.

-Say all the water was contaminated and you had to follow clues to figure out what happened and how to filter it. maybe after finding a water testing kit, some scientists notebooks and/or other clues and reading about a water treatment device or facility you follow the clues and treat the water so you can drink it.

-Say there was an explosion and you found the aftermath. You investigate what had happened and find out that the powerplant is out and there is no power in the city. Maybe you follow clues as to what caused the explosion and you find explosives or maybe you follow clues as to what the powerplant needs to operate and you eventually find some item to fix it and get power back to the city.

-Say there was a mass killing. You investigate the bodies to find out it was not a zombie attack. after following jeep tracks you find a shack or some base of somekind with a dead man inside. He has a jeep and high powered gun that is extremely rare.

-Say there are radios in the game. maybe everyone who has a radio or maybe only people tuned to a certain frequency or channel get a distress call from a settlement of survivors. Maybe you follow the clues to find the settlement and when you get there find it had been over run with zombies and everyone is dead, but there is some very good loot there. (radios would allow players to call other players for help as well or communicate with one another)

-Say there was a crashed helicopter and you followed radio signals to find it. boom found a helicopter and loot, but only if you have a radio.

-So where did the zombies come from? No one knows. Maybe it was an outbreak. Maybe people who get bit can catch it. maybe you find a scientist's notes where he was working on what caused the zombie out break and you follow his clues to a vaccine that can cure you if bit.

These are some quick not fully fleshed out ideas. I'm sure there can be better ones and improvements made on these but this would add so much to game. It would give, in essence, a un-official quest system, something to do and strive for, obstacles to overcome, and more reasons to go places maybe you don't necessarily want to go to intereact with players and more importantly zombies.

Edited by Shorttallguy

The whole idea is interesting noticing that DayZ has more potentials than just to be a zombie survival. I'm sure Rocket have planned much bigger things with it alongside Bohemia.

This is not a mystery game

Fuck you, this is a great idea.

I love it because then you could be running around with friends and you see a fucked up van and a dead guy near it and you're like, "holy shit, what happened here..." as you withdraw your weapons as it could be dangerous. This is a brilliant idea and would be amazing in a future update; they could randomly spawn similar to helicopter crashes which have fixed spawn points but only spawn at each point from time to time.

I really like the idea, I dont know if its possible to make but it would make players make groups for being able to complete a certain task, and also increase the competition and increase the playing time of the mod ..

Greetings

Fogo B)