Deadlock Drop

Night Survival

Hey I'm fairly new to DayZ so I don't have much experience and I have mostly been playing during the day because when I get on at night I can barely see and I find it difficult to survive and find supplies or just to get in and out of a building. My friend told me just to move to a euro server but that doesn't seem very fun and can cause some annoying lag. Can anyone give me any tips and I mean ANY tips on how to survive better at night, thank you.

flares + chemlights.. or farm crashed chopper sites for Night vision goggles.

Find some NVG's While its day, theyre Mostly in barracks and Heli Crashes. You could go to NW Airfield, but bewared though.. There is snipers shooting everyone around those parts.

I think there are some Us servers that are some hours behind their real time.. I find eu servers -6 hours than their real time ^^,

This might help : Turn your HDR lightining ALL THE WAY UP in settings, allso gamma and brightenss in game settings. Then if you have a Computer with an External Monitor you can adjust the settings there and turn the brightness up, It will look like your playing without colours, but you will be able to walk around and see zombies and buildings :)

Edited by Dawn

A blue Chemlight is the best at night, it can only be seen by other players from 35m away. Using a chemlight is a bit awkward at first, here's how to do it: Make sure a chemlight is in your active inventory, not your backpack, and then press F to switch to it. You should see weapon text in the upper right for a chemlight. Primary fire will throw the chemlight, it will take a moment for the animation to play. Walk over to it, scroll wheel on it, and select "Pick Up Chemlight". There you go, you now have a mobile light source.

If you don't have a chemlight, use your flashlight sparingly, as it's a HUGE giveaway to other players.

Never use road flares, it's like painting a huge target on your head.

Crank up your gamma and brightness a little, use flares and chemlights... but don't throw those flares next to you you'll just paint a huge "I'm here" sign.

Try it, you'll be fine :P

Chemlights come in red/green/blue.

To anyone within 40-60meters you'll be very easy to detect, but beyond that they only see your chemlight as a small flashing dot, which is easy to miss, if they are not looking for you.

Red's not worth taking.

Green is greatest for ambient light on your immidiate suroundings.

Blue is a decent ambient light scource, but harder to detect for others.

Road flares cast a much brighter light and you have to be even more cautious when using these.

Aynone within 500-1000 meters will be able to see the red glare on trees/buildings, if they have line of sight. Their light also attrachs zombies, so the best use for them is to throw them a bit away from the location you want to investigate, draw the zombies away and use the contrast from the light and the ambient light to search for loot.

Whenever you use road flares, always keep in mind you're operating under increased risk of someone seeing hte glare in the distance. Unless you're playing no a server with very few players, in a remote area, make sure you get in and out in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

flares + chemlights.. or farm crashed chopper sites for Night vision goggles.

Aren't NV googles only located in the NW airfield?

I use my flashlight (I found a military one) and I crank up my brightness. IT seems that some servers are "darker" then others. I have seen major differences in seattle and us servers at comparable times at night.

Edited by Cvm

On night you should take the opertunity to raid Elektro and Cherno, the two big cities next to each other. Because it's so dark zombies will not spot you as easily if it were day-time!

its easy to sneak in and out of big cities at night. use zombies as a cover for yourself against any hostile players. never fire any shot inside big towns. zombies wont spot you unless you make a sound so be patient while sneking in. try to find toolbelt items such as map knife compass matches and once you have a big (alice) backpack dont start to fill it with everything. just grab 4 food 4 drink and leave the town. now the best thing to do at night is to spot heli crash sites. they always spawn around 3 areas: berezino, nwaf, sobor. also these locations have lots of deerstands which have decent weapons such as ak cobra, m24 or biggest back pack in the game coyote. I cant agree more with blue chemlights - they make visible 5-10 metres around you and you wont be spotted by other players from at least 35metres.

you will feel like colorblind after some time but set your gamma and brightness to max. and set HDR to high from graphic settings, abort/disconnect - reconnect the server. this should give you some visibility than pitch black. especially with the moon light if its not cloudy.

stay away from nwaf barracks, berezino military tents, airport hangars. server hoppers love joining half empty servers and most night time servers are empty so beware any of these spots unless you have a friend watching over (in case you got killed by a hopper) cuz most of the time you wont see anybody around, you decide to go in, once you are in someone spawns behind you and bam.

Thanks for the help guys its been frustrating but all these tips have helped and now I can finally play when DayZ when I usually play other games... in the dead of night

lol I am new too and NIGHT rock!!!

It is true during night every zombies seems to have night vision BUT DAMN BANDITS DONT!

Gamma+brithness max

Running as fast as I can between building and walking or crawling without making any sound

Disabled MUSIC

Plugged in a pair of earphone with the volume ridiculously HIGH so I can hear any zombie coming toward me or any bandit trying to track me then I just randomly enter a building like usual find a really dark corner prone and wait for the bandit!!!

During day usually I'm trying to loot something and most of the time I have to think of which command do what since Arma II got one of a kind WEIRD binding for the actions we can do.

try to find a server that is going from day to dusk or night to dawn. that way with the high gamma you can see just fine AND the zombies have a harder time seeing you.