pyrokinetiq

Fortification

So I've heard rumours (however invalid they may or may not be) that the devs are looking into a method to allow fortification/occupation of settlements, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on it.

Obviously they don't want to introduce some sort of "system" or a single occupation mechanic that makes players confine to, to be able to occupy areas.

I was thinking it might work well if there was simply new gear that let players achieve this on their own.

For example anti-personnel mines, flares hooked up to tripwires and other traps for protecting an area from players, and maybe some sort of device (maybe make it spawn near some high-tech places like the radars or something) that detracts zombies within an area, so for example zombies wouldn't spawn (they'll still chase you in without hesitation if you alert zombies outside) within a 500m radius of it. If it's an electronic device, it would need power - maybe introduce power generators that need to be refuelled, this way you would have players in a settlement working together to find fuel to keep their area zombie-free. This alone would introduce a lot of new scenarios. Should the players use their last jerry can to fuel the generator, or to refuel their car in hopes of using it to find more fuel in a nearby town etc.

This would add something to do for those players who have geared themselves up with Mk 48 Mod 0's and NVG's, and roll with their friends who are also geared up, other than preying on new players because there's nothing else to do.

It could also lead to situations where you have rival settlements, leading to even more scenarios where for example one group tries to sabotage the generator of the other settlement (this is where traps would come in) to cause chaos in there by allowing zombies to spawn.

I feel something like this would work really well, because once you've survived the first few days and made new friends, in a post-apocalyptic world the next thing you'd do is try to make a (relatively) safe haven you can call home.

Good idea.

Once the 'fort' had been built, it would be cool to make a notice board system which you can record the requirements for the day. Players could then head out to look for these.

Example:

Player spawns into the server and is in the fort.

Looks at notice board - 'Generator nearly out of gas, someone find some fuel'

Player heads out (optionally) to find fuel

This obviously leads onto other things, it would be neat to have some kind of cohesive community system, a sort of 'guild', but I hate to use that word in this context.

Good idea.

Once the 'fort' had been built' date=' it would be cool to make a notice board system which you can record the requirements for the day. Players could then head out to look for these.

Example:

Player spawns into the server and is in the fort.

Looks at notice board - 'Generator nearly out of gas, someone find some fuel'

Player heads out (optionally) to find fuel

This obviously leads onto other things, it would be neat to have some kind of cohesive community system, a sort of 'guild', but I hate to use that word in this context.

[/quote']

I have no idea how the engine works, but being a coder myself I could imagine a notice board being incredibly difficult, I don't think there's currently any way to easily get text input from the user into the game world (excluding maps and waypoints etc.). I'd also imagine that the devs would want players to sort those things out personally. The message board is a good idea but I doubt it'd happen because it's more of a "system" rather than just a "tool", which the DayZ devs seem to avoid the former like it's infected with the DayZ virus :P

I've created mods and ArmA missions and the scripting system is pretty straight forward. The messageboard would just contain text. Nothing else. A player would read it, ignore it, or do what it says.

I've often been at the top of everything quite quickly on the server, but left without a place I can call 'home', maybe this would open a new branch of gameplay within the mod.

Maybe just allow fortifying at night and have more zeds spawn or be more aggressive when they hear noise or see light and upon daybreak the fortifications fade.

I think that would be a very cool improvement and like the other posters have said, add a cool portion to the game. I'd be happy with just setting up a skimpy tent, a few broken bottles in the distance to alert me of movement, and a nice set of trees to completely mask my presence as I sleep.

That or be able to put up a few small pieces of sheet metal in windows, or debris behind a door to keep people/zombies from opening it as I sleep or idle!

All this would be cool if it was balanced with an increase in zombies in the peripheral area of the camp (attracted by the fires, smokes and smells)

I could see player controlled fortifications adding a very interesting dynamic to the game, it could offer safe havens for new players or loot jackpots for bandits and thieves. Having a base camp of sorts would also offer an objective that the players can work towards such as establishing, improving, and protecting a camp.