Sign in to follow this  
Disgraced

Warning thread: look here before picking a server

Let's help the community here.

If you're on a server or just got griefed by a scripter (hackers write the scripts. Scripters are just users of someone else's work found on Google), then post here to warn other players.

This is not a thread for punishment or banning, just tonyelpmyour fellow players to avoid the hacked servers.

No need for evidence, just which server and the time stamp of your post will do, then people can avoid that server and play somewhere else for a while.

Kind of like a tornado warning.

If the concept works, I can set up a twitter with "hack warnings" like storm warnings.

Edited by Disgraced

I like the idea. It may push admins of some servers to more agressivly persue hackers/scripters and keep them off their servers.

Twitter: @dayzhackalert

Gmail: dayzhackalert@gmail.com

Send it in and we'll spread the warning.

Community solutions can work.

Question: is there a way for admins to effectively protect their servers against hackers? I mean, appart from banning them AFTER they killed everyone, can they do anything else?

Question: is there a way for admins to effectively protect their servers against hackers? I mean, appart from banning them AFTER they killed everyone, can they do anything else?

Not really. It's the blessing and curse of Arma II. This mod let's us do so much... And it also let's the scripters do so, as well.

When the use the BE bypass we don't catch anything in the logs that would be usefull. The dumb ones are still easy to catch.

Hard to prevent ahead of time. There are things in the script detect file that will kick them when they try, however, as I said, they are bypassing battleye now so the file has no impact.

The last 5 hackers I saw used scripts which are not detectable in the logs nor by Battleye. Only way we catch cheaters now is killing them first and then look inside the logs how soon they get the same gear again.

But what's the point of this thread anyway? Hackers can move from any server to any server, so blacklisting servers doesnt work, unless you know administrators are helping hackers. The only reason why people wouldn't hack is because they simply choose not to, it is so easy you could probably explain it to your grandmother in under 5 minutes. Download a script and put it in a specific folder, press a button and you're good to go with a 1% chance of getting caught in the act.

Had a guy yesterday who was able to move any vehicle on the map to his own location, so Dayz database keeps the vehicles.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

Well, post the server and the player name here and we can disseminate the info.

You don't get my point. Hackers are not servers. People hack, servers can't hack. Blacklisting servers because it has/had a hacker is simply a bad idea, just as hackers can move from server A to server B without any problem. Blacklisting servers for lazzy administration is a better idea, but best idea is still simply to ban all hackers (or people under reasonable suspicion).

Wtf are you talking about? I am not blacklisting.

I am just trying to make it so we can all have fair warning.

Mrph, I think my posts are quite clear, but lets try again:

1. You ask other people to post the server name only if there is a hacker or think there is.
  2. If people post a server name, you add that server name to a list. This list is used to warn people NOT TO PLAY on that server as there is a hacker active.

So far so good, right?

Problems are:

• a person comes here reporting a hacker on server X. You are online and immediately add server X to the list. Other people are looking here and not playing on server X anymore (your list works). Two hours later hacker disconnects and goes to different server, but server X is still on your list. People avoid server X because there has been a hacker once and server gets a bad name.
  • Hackers can move to any server and I'm 99,9% confident there is not a single server without any hacker. I don't know any server owner who didn't have to deal with hackers before. So hackers are everywhere, not on 1 server. So if you want to make a list of all servers with hackers on them, you can add EVERY server to your list.
  • I didn't even start about the small fraction you will be able to map, how fast you can update the list, how much is posted here and if all reports are valid in the first place, let alone how many players can be reached...

I think you're taking a good initiative (cookie for you), but your plan is simply not going to work. Advising people not to play on a server is just in general a bad idea, as hackers are not bound to a server and simply go to the next server while server remains on a blacklist. You think that there are certain servers out there having a lot of hackers who kill everyone on sight, I'm telling you here that it can happen on ANY server during ANY second of the game, whether there are 100 administrators or 0 administrators on that server.

You want to have a save game? Forget it. Always a risk you run into a hacker sooner or later and no list is going to even help 1% to prevent just that. Only thing which will work is actually banning hackers from the game and the hive, but sadly that also hardly work due to the moderation around here (find more volunteers to add people to the banlist and process all reports?). Good luck with your list and I'm all for a hack-free game and initiatives, but I'm only trying to tell I don't see this working anytime soon and wouldn't advise to spent a lot of time on it.

This guy sums it up completely:

You're answer "not really" is wrong. Should have been "really not". There is no such thing as a safe server for Dayz, not even in heaven. You want to hear something funny? All bans are streamed from the hive and it is actually designed to replace the local ban logs on a server. After every server restart all bans issued by server admins are automatically undone. Unless an admin adds it manually to the list again (time consuming as it has to be done every server restart), local bans even don't work, unless you simply do not synchronize the ban list with the Dayz hive anymore.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero
  • Like 2

1. You ask other people to post the server name only if there is a hacker or think there is.
  2. If people post a server name, you add that server name to a list. This list is used to warn people NOT TO PLAY on that server as there is a hacker active.

So far so good, right?

Problems are:

• a person comes here reporting a hacker on server X. You are online and immediately add server X to the list. Other people are looking here and not playing on server X anymore (your list works). Two hours later hacker disconnects and goes to different server, but server X is still on your list. People avoid server X because there has been a hacker once and server gets a bad name.
  • Hackers can move to any server and I'm 99,9% confident there is not a single server without any hacker. I don't know any server owner who didn't have to deal with hackers before. So hackers are everywhere, not on 1 server. So if you want to make a list of all servers with hackers on them, you can add EVERY server to your list.
  • I didn't even start about the small fraction you will be able to map, how fast you can update the list, how much is posted here and if all reports are valid in the first place, let alone how many players can be reached...

I think you're taking a good initiative (cookie for you), but your plan is simply not going to work. Advising people not to play on a server is just in general a bad idea, as hackers are not bound to a server and simply go to the next server while server remains on a blacklist. You think that there are certain servers out there having a lot of hackers who kill everyone on sight, I'm telling you here that it can happen on ANY server during ANY second of the game, whether there are 100 administrators or 0 administrators on that server.

You want to have a save game? Forget it. Always a risk you run into a hacker sooner or later and no list is going to even help 1% to prevent just that. Only thing which will work is actually banning hackers from the game and the hive, but sadly that also hardly work due to the moderation around here (find more volunteers to add people to the banlist and process all reports?). Good luck with your list and I'm all for a hack-free game and initiatives, but I'm only trying to tell I don't see this working anytime soon and wouldn't advise to spent a lot of time on it.

You're answer "not really" is wrong. Should have been "really not". There is no such thing as a safe server for Dayz, not even in heaven. You want to hear something funny? All bans are streamed from the hive and it is actually designed to replace the local ban logs on a server. After every server restart all bans issued by server admins are automatically undone. Unless an admin adds it manually to the list again (time consuming as it has to be done every server restart), local bans even don't work, unless you simply do not synchronize the ban list with the Dayz hive anymore.

Wow, asshole.

All I'm trying to do is pass the Wang to other people when someone is frustrated by another person using hacking scripts on a particular server, and spread that information. What is YOUR problem with that? I'm not trying to make "safe servers". You're delusional.

I'm trying to just spread the word so people,don't get screwed by script kiddies on particular servers.

What's the problem with that?

• Like 1

So far so good, right?

Problems are:

Someone really doesn't understand the concept.

But that's ok.

I just want to help people avoid hackers. Not keep them offl of servers permanently. I'm not building a blacklist.

Just helping to let them know where scripters are at any given moment, until they move on.

You seem very resistant to people avoiding scripting and hacking. Why is that?

• Like 1

You're ( A ) being rude and ( B ) are seemingly unable to successfully read or understand any sentence I wrote, hence the confusion. To any question you wrote: simply read my posts again while you're not blindfolded.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

You're ( A ) being rude, ( B ) are seemingly unable to successfully read or understand any sentence I wrote, hence the confusion. Enjoy.

No, more like I'm saying "let's share when someone sees a fire somewhere"

And youre saying... Wait, fires can happen anywhere and no one is safe, so don't try to help.

What's your problem with letting people know that certain servers are being hacked at a specific time?

Ah, that's a more polite reply already, thank you for that.

To continue using your metaphor: you're warning for a fire (good thing), fire gets extinguished sooner or later and yet it is still here in this topic, warning for said fire. When is it save again to join a reported server?

Ah, that's a more polite reply already, thank you for that.

To continue using your metaphor: you're warning for a fire (good thing), fire gets extinguished sooner or later and yet it is still here in this topic, warning for said fire. When is it save again to join a reported server?

I think you're just trolling. People can decide on their own when it's safe. If someone says they are seeing hacks, then at least we can let other people know. There is no better solution, for now.

No, I'm trying to have a discussion, something which is exceptionally hard on the internet if not impossible. But that doesn't stop me for trying at the very least, can't blame me for that :P.

My points still remain then, as I thought you would remove servers from the list after x hours once it is no longer "on fire". Apperantly it is not and a bad server always stays a bad server, despite a hacker moves on.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

Wow, asshole.

No need for that,

He was being polite and was trying to assist.

He is quite correct as well.

Also, this system is open to abuse. I can be annoyed at a server and then post that servers details. Or if I want a quieter server so I can farm, I post a warning and then can farm to my hearts content.

Like the poster you insulted, I also applaud your sentiments. But in this format it simply wont work.

Rgds

LoK

No need for that,

Also, this system is open to abuse. I can be annoyed at a server and then post that servers details. Or if I want a quieter server so I can farm, I post a warning and then can farm to my hearts content.

Like the poster you insulted, I also applaud your sentiments. But in this format it simply wont work.

Rgds

LoK

No need for that,

Rgds

LoK

Well...

Fuck it then.

I was just trying to help. No need to make any effort. I have a lot of other real life things to do.

Thank you both for being so polite.

Hello there.

My pleasure.

rgds

LoK

Don't be discouraged by these two people. You should still try it out and see how this works, maybe we'll see a trend of hacked servers or repeat names of hackers/scripters popping up. Any action is better than inaction, ignore the criticism and try it out.

Yes, criticism is always bad, don't listen to them. They surely only want you to fail and like hackers. Ignore all criticism and don't try to use it to your own advantage.

[off-topic]

Coping with criticism is always hard, but trust me, you will have to learn to get used to it in your later life if you want to have wife, good job and kids. Just a friendly tip from another, no offence. Criticism is never fun, but it's the only way to continuously improve your ideas and keep you sharp. Not listening to criticism is also possible, it is called ignorance (wilful delusion if you prefer).

In all honesty, I would like you to succeed and your idea to work. That's not my goal of criticism nor am I a troll, trolls never intend to improve something in the first place. I'm getting paid for giving my reflection on strategies and criticism is usually the one thing which saves or could have saved many projects, so I would even prefer people around me with a strong opinion so I get enough criticism.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

I like the idea. It may push admins of some servers to more agressivly persue hackers/scripters and keep them off their servers.

Trust me, we are given no tools whatsoever to be able to catch them in the act or even find their suspicious behavior in the logs.. We are having problems with hackers on our server and we have no idea how to catch them or make out who they even are...

A hacker killed everyone last night on DE 246. Now what? People should stop going on this server?

I don't understand the point of this thread. At first I thought there was a way to protect your server against hackers, in which case a list of unprotected servers would be useful. BUT if there's no way to protect your server, then they can be anywhere, no server is safe. EVERY server should be on the list then, because there has been a hacker on every server at least once.