Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet_Man

Hidden Basements

Hey peeps.

We all know the immersion in DayZ is largely achieved through paranoia. And since the concept of underground bases has been discussed for future development, here's my idea that borrows from that.

Hidden Basements

- Found in certain residential buildings

- Access via trap door

- Single entry point means time is a factor, increases paranoia

- Climb down ladder

- Total darkness. Must use flashlight, NVGs, etc.

- Rare loot spawns

- Other players may close trap door, paranoia x1000

- Can hatchet/crowbar/shoot your way out, maybe attract hostiles

This would be scary as hell playing solo. Not so much in larger groups, but then the idea of group play is to eliminate risk.

Maybe there's a chance that infected have spawned down there? A narrow hallway and a claustrophobic room, plus a chance that someone (or something) is already there.

Now that's paranoia.

• Like 10

I like the idea of a root cellar underneath an old farmhouse in the countryside.

Don't think having tunnel systems in the cities would fit Chernarus, they are coastal cities after all, and the water table would be very close to the surface.

This is quite similar to how I imagined the "underground bunkers/basments" could work.

post-1409-0-27183200-1342838797_thumb.jppost-1409-0-01518100-1342838811_thumb.jppost-1409-0-14718800-1342838858_thumb.jp

My disagreements would be:

- No 'rare loot' inside the cellar, strictly used for player shelter

- No way to open a "locked" hatch

To expand on the idea:

- Lock yourself or friends inside a bunker for protection

- It's a one-way lock so there would be no way to leave your hatch while keeping it locked

- No way to get in from the outside if someone has locked the hatch (maybe it can be blown open with a satchel charge?)

- Build up some cover (sandbags, etc..)

- Stash all your beans (maybe have some kind of trunk or boxes to open and put items in)

- Portable generators can power a basement light

- A power box in the basement to turn the basement light (and house lights) on / off

But there are some problems with this idea:

What if players in a locked basement logged out and logged back into a different server?

( a ) they can only log back into the server they left from

( b ) they can only log back into the server they left from or a server with an opened hatch and the server they locked their hatch in would now have to be opened

So, I agree. I too would like to see cellars/basements/bunkers as a future addition to DayZ!

• Like 5

Good feedback gents. Hopefully we'll see variations of this in a future release.

Maybe farmhouses with explorable attic space too? Single access point via ladder up.

I don't see why not.

Maybe a few variations, depending on the building itself.

A wine cellar beneath farmhouses and churches. Maybe a communal bunker beneath barns or other large buildings?

If you've seen Terminator 2, you'll know survivalists keep some rather large hardware in their bunkers. :)

I like the idea, but not to use it as base for you or your team, it's more like crashed chopper, that could be better in my opinion

Yes, I would prefer it that way too, but teams will still sandbag/razorwire a location just because they can.

The main purpose for a below ground single access area is to create paranoia, especially for solo play.

The greater the risk, the greater the reward. Then again, this is DayZ. You're just as likely to sneak into a house, creep down into a dark cellar, and step on a god damn bear trap. <_<

What if players in a locked basement logged out and logged back into a different server?

( b ) they can only log back into the server they left from or a server with an opened hatch and the server they locked their hatch in would now have to be opened

So, I agree. I too would like to see cellars/basements/bunkers as a future addition to DayZ!

I like ze ideas, even this part selected, and ive seen a similar feature a) being debated on different activities aswell. ze servers would need a good clean and be regulated before this could be tested effectively :(

+1 though

Edited by 3rdParty

Hmm... I was thinking a hidden military bunker with multiple entrances, under a field, and it being quite dark and Zed infested, with moderate loot, and close walls, and tight corners to encourage shotgun fighting for Pvpers, and discourage camping there due to grenades and traps.

Hey peeps.

We all know the immersion in DayZ is largely achieved through paranoia. And since the concept of underground bases has been discussed for future development, here's my idea that borrows from that.

Hidden Basements

- Access via trap door

- Climb down ladder

- Rare loot spawns

This would be scary as hell playing solo. Not so much in larger groups, but then the idea of group play is to eliminate risk.

Maybe there's a chance that infected have spawned down there? A narrow hallway and a claustrophobic room, plus a chance that someone (or something) is already there.

Now that's paranoia.

Hey peeps.

Hidden Basements

- Access via trap door

- Climb down ladder

- Rare loot spawns

Now that's paranoia.

I really like this idea, but what kind of rare stuff do you think you could find?

You have my beans on this idea!!

Man this a good suggestion, cool idea. But have you noticed how bat shit crazy this engine gets when trying to handle simple shit like a stairwell or a doorway? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this engine is not designed for this kind of stuff. Not saying that it cant be done, it can be, it has been done, but it doesn't end well.

• Like 1

Man this a good suggestion, cool idea. But have you noticed how bat shit crazy this engine gets when trying to handle simple shit like a stairwell or a doorway? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this engine is not designed for this kind of stuff. Not saying that it cant be done, it can be, it has been done, but it doesn't end well.

^This Guy^

The engine is extremely fragile, but as the buzz is about DayZ becoming standalone, may make rocket actually do it, which in that case, the engines stability issues are null. No one knows how long that would take, considering a total overhaul of all code would be needed, in any case.

If they develop this into a future release, there might be other rare items that could spawn here.

- Magnifying glass, for lighting fires

- Vitamins

- Rehydratable Food (TVP)

- Geiger Counter

Or there could be nothing down there but pain and regret. :P

this seems like a good idea too me, right now i cant think of any arguments to make for or against it, but i thought i would support it.

This is quite similar to how I imagined the "underground bunkers/basments" could work.

post-1409-0-27183200-1342838797_thumb.jppost-1409-0-01518100-1342838811_thumb.jppost-1409-0-14718800-1342838858_thumb.jp

My disagreements would be:

- No 'rare loot' inside the cellar, strictly used for player shelter

- No way to open a "locked" hatch

To expand on the idea:

- Lock yourself or friends inside a bunker for protection

- It's a one-way lock so there would be no way to leave your hatch while keeping it locked

- No way to get in from the outside if someone has locked the hatch (maybe it can be blown open with a satchel charge?)

- Build up some cover (sandbags, etc..)

- Stash all your beans (maybe have some kind of trunk or boxes to open and put items in)

- Portable generators can power a basement light

- A power box in the basement to turn the basement light (and house lights) on / off

But there are some problems with this idea:

Solution to the Problems, Make it Instanced for that house only and only for the player who created the instanced environment and those he invites in only, other players can not invite. But what about other players using same house? that's the idea of instancing it, and if 2 groups of players on the same server log in really close together and start leaving, at the same time, then well maybe force one to a nearby instance-able house for the duration of that server session when the server goes, hmmm someone else is also using that house... what to do... Give the player an option on the other side of the map? Maybe when ever Players log in inside their little basement, it places them randomly on the map away from other players and major areas?

Another idea would be that if players would approach a basement that is loaned out to another player it would let them into their own instance of their basement, but then they leave place them randomly somewhere else where one is available. but this leads to their being Static locations where players can emerge or travel to/from making camping snipers more likely to camp these places. but that's a game play tactic not a integration problem.

this could also lead to instance-able garages as well. im sure there are other ideas to help solve these issues, but every idea brings about problems and the workarounds bring their own.

Edited by Honjura