gangrenetvp

I would like to see a player easily be able to express their intentions from a distance.

I think it would be cool if every player had a "white flag" they could start with and could equip as an alternate to a pistol, as an initial idea. When they equip it you would know that player isn't being aggressive. You could also make it take a while to unequip so player can't just yank out / switch to a gun and blast you without a visual warning to give you a heads up. It doesn't have to be a "flag", but could be a white rag, or torn piece of shirt. People would have such things in a zombie apocalypse.

Another, similar line of thinking is players could put their "hands up"(a signal that they aren't looking for trouble) in the air, with no weapon in them, or alternatively put their hands behind their head. I think that animation exists in the original game. If the hands could wave, it could be a signal, here I am, I mean no harm or I want to approach. Players could approach one another with their hands up as a sign of "peace". This is also realistic... I could see one another yelling "come toward me with your hands up so I can see your not pointing a gun at me", the other person could say "you too", "Agreed".

A third concept could be that a player could have a "signaling mirror", that could be used to signal another player from a great distance. "Hey you" I can see you, here I am and the other person could wave back or pull out their white flag. It would also give away their position(see the flash). If you're willing to give away your position that also shows that you probably aren't looking for a fight and would like to approach for a discussion.

I think the game is fun with teams of players, the only problem is that there isn't much of a way to signal your intentions... so players have to defensively kill each other, when in real life they could flag one another down, yell pretty far, etc...

I think these ideas would allow people who want to join up express themselves more effectively, which will make the game more fun... having fun with others. It wouldn't stop players from killing one another so it takes away nothing from those players who enjoy that.

• Like 1

I like this idea. It offers both survivors and bandits a tool, without enforcing play restrictions on either.

you know, take the the white flag thing out ( it's stupid) and you have something interesting. I've thought a couple of hand signals would work nicely a few times.

For instance, the hands up motion. If it requires the player to unequip weapons then it can have some genuine in-game legitimacy.

Check your key bindings, theres a surrender button. it puts your hands behind your head. More people need to use it though!

You can already use ; to sit down and ' to do some "hand on your forehead" stance (I don't know how it's called exactly).

It doesn't solve the shot-on-sight, personaly I would still shot on sight someone who's doing that, simply because he becomes a threat again once he cancels the animation.

Make it an option that to befriend a person you both must choose with mouse wheel to be friends which then prevents PVP between the two of you.This would make it so that maybe some people could start teaming up without being friends in real ife.

Make it an option that to befriend a person you both must choose with mouse wheel to be friends which then prevents PVP between the two of you.This would make it so that maybe some people could start teaming up without being friends in real ife.

No!!!!, That would completely remove the tension created with trying to communicate/work with strangers. It's an important part of the game.

People keep trying to make this game "safer" without realising that it's the danger and tension that makes it unique from any other game/mod.

• Like 1

How about all players start with a white band around their arm, until they kill a player in which it is removed? If they kill a bandit it stays on

I don't like the idea of the flag; I think you'll just be shot with a flag.

The idea about friending another player to prevent PvP would deny you one of the most emotional experiences in DayZ. Getting scrambled from your comrade, and in the confusion of a battle one of you accidentally kills the other. It's happened to me both ways. My character lived with that shame, and it was awesome.

as for the band/other forms of physical identification- they don't work properly. Someone who is new decided to try and murder you; they fail- you defend yourself and kill them. You are now marked as a bandit. There is too much context to why someone is killed to define it in black and white; good/bad.

• Like 1

There's not off button for friendly fire in real life...

Can you walk in the submission position and how long does it take to equip a gun? Players should be able to approach one another while "unarmed".

I also agree the tension should always be there, they could always betray you, but signaling players at a distance and approaching in a nonthreatening way should be possible.

I think there should also be another way to give away your position, in real life you could always take your shirt or jacket off and signal others in the distance by waving it in the air. Saying here I am. People would be looking for help.

I think in a real zombie Apocalypse people are going to band together and not just fend for themselves with no one to watch their back... I mean you're surrounded by zombie "enemies" with limited supplies. Also people would be lonely and seek comfort in the presence of others. Humans are a naturally social species. In the world of constant threat and fear of zombies people would be searching for some social comfort.

personaly I would still shot on sight someone who's doing that, simply because he becomes a threat again once he cancels the animation.

See

For instance, the hands up motion. If it requires the player to unequip weapons then it can have some genuine in-game legitimacy.

The player making the gesture has to disarm and then hold the gesture, the player trying to trust him has the length of time it takes the other guy to put his hands back down and rearm a weapon to notice the chance of an attack. Which is pretty close to how it would go down in RL.

Edited by DryGulch

Can you walk in the submission position and how long does it take to equip a gun? Players should be able to approach one another while "unarmed".

I also agree the tension should always be there, they could always betray you, but signaling players at a distance and approaching in a nonthreatening way should be possible.

I think there should also be another way to give away your position, in real life you could always take your shirt or jacket off and signal others in the distance by waving it in the air. Saying here I am. People would be looking for help.

I think in a real zombie Apocalypse people are going to band together and not just fend for themselves with no one to watch their back... I mean you're surrounded by zombie "enemies" with limited supplies. Also people would be lonely and seek comfort in the presence of others. Humans are a naturally social species. In the world of constant threat and fear of zombies people would be searching for some social comfort.

That's the main debate across nearly every suggestions. In my opinion banding together means 5-10 peoples you can trust with your life, and fuck everyone else. I firmly believe you would rarely see groups accepting strangers, unless the stranger somehow prove his intentions in a large demonstration of trust, and if he was given the occasion to do so.

Yea...

Easy mode for everyone...

-.-...

Edited by LeOverlord

Yea...

Easy mode for everyone...

-.-...

Explain to me , a guy who shoots on sight , a self -proclaimed bandit, how adding the ability for someone to put their hands up is easy mode for everyone.

You can already use ; to sit down and ' to do some "hand on your forehead" stance (I don't know how it's called exactly).

It doesn't solve the shot-on-sight, personaly I would still shot on sight someone who's doing that, simply because he becomes a threat again once he cancels the animation.

Shoot on sight will never go away if people can effectively disconnect from encounters.

Explain to me , a guy who shoots on sight , a self -proclaimed bandit, how adding the ability for someone to put their hands up is easy mode for everyone.

There are plenty of ways, already implemented in the game, that allow you to partially disarm yourself. You can use the salute, surrender, or sit function. While in those animations your unable to attack. These are all that are needed to express your intentions. When I started playing you know what you did so to show you meant no harm? Salute. Wanna know why these signs don't work anymore? Because no one cares. Easily half if not more of the players on DayZ will shoot on site without thinking twice.

There's flares and smoke grenades for both marking and showing positions. Theres even a laser pointer for night ops if your lucky enough to have NVG's and the correct scope.

I've basically had no problem comminacting with strangers and have joined up with them on many occasions. You have to make your intentions very clear from the outset and try to do so when you have the upper hand. Of course ther'es always risk, and that's what keeps you playing.

No!!!!, That would completely remove the tension created with trying to communicate/work with strangers. It's an important part of the game.

People keep trying to make this game "safer" without realising that it's the danger and tension that makes it unique from any other game/mod.

Totally agree.