GrAnzSkY

How Is The Community Enjoying The Game?

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are so far on the game?

How do you like to play and what annoys you the most about it?

I like to play DayZ solo ('lone wolf') which was possible in the 1.5.6 build but is all but impossible in the 1.5.7 build (which Rocket has suggested has a problem with zombie spawning numbers and frequency, anyway). I would like DayZ to return to a more equitable balance of zombie numbers/spawns to ensure those who might still prefer to 'lone wolf' the game can at least try, but this entire notion of playing DayZ solo is also utterly dependent on re-looking at the game's blood system.

If a player suffers long-term blood loss it is my understanding that only another player can provide a blood transfusion. This seems to me to be a fundamental (actually, a fatal) flaw in any notion of playing the game solo (as the Developer suggests it can be played on this very website) - since at some indeterminate point in play any player suffering blood loss will absolutely need to team up with another in order to have a blood transfusion carried out.

If this is all correct, this needs fixing. There HAS to be a way found for solo players to enjoy the game without ever needing to interact directly with other players. Blood loss would appear to be a 'solo game killer' at the moment. Unless this is fixed, attempting to last it out as a 'lone wolf' who might be suffering slow blood loss is a wholly redundant guesture: the game will kill you, regardless.

I usually play "lone wolf" style as the poster above; however, I have to disagree. I love how the new zombie spawns have made the game more difficult. It makes me feel accomplished when I go on a big city raid successfully. As for the blood issue: find a knife and matches then hang out in the wilderness for a few hours and hunt animals. Cook their meat and eat it and you'll have your blood back in no time.

The game is still very playable solo-wise. You just have to try a little harder.

I'm loving the game so far, and the only things that annoys me about are all due to its alpha status so I'm not really annoyed by them. Those glitchy, buggy bits are to be expected, and in all honesty, I'm surprised there's so few given how early in it's development DayZ is.

Like the above posters, I've lone wolfed a lot. The larger zombie spawns caused me some problems at first but now I can generally get in and out of most places with minimum fuss. The respawn rates cause problems but I wouldn't want the number of zombies reduced. Sure, there are some places that I have to walk away from at times because the zombies own the place in too great numbers, but that's how it should be in a zombie apocalypse. It's their world now, not ours.

Funnily enough, I was teaming with a mate at the weekend and found it immeasurably more difficult to get in and out of towns because we were twice as likely to attract the attention of unspotted zombies. We ended up sieged-in in a barn on the edge of town with barely any ammo between us. We logged there for later but when we came back our position had been reset back to the coast (alpha stuff).

CalUKGR you are whining.

A lone wolf player needs only:

1 knife

1 matches

1 tent

1 weapon with 1 bullet

1 cow

1 cow =6400 blood

1 sheep = 3200(?) blood

Each tent has 100 slots, as a lone wolf that leaves plenty of slots for cooked meat.

take 6 cooked meat out with you and you have 3200 blood stored in your backpack.

If a player suffers long-term blood loss it is my understanding that only another player can provide a blood transfusion. This seems to me to be a fundamental (actually' date=' a fatal) flaw in any notion of playing the game solo (as the Developer suggests it can be played on this very website) - since at some indeterminate point in play any player suffering blood loss will absolutely need to team up with another in order to have a blood transfusion carried out.

If this is all correct, this needs fixing. There HAS to be a way found for solo players to enjoy the game without ever needing to interact directly with other players. Blood loss would appear to be a 'solo game killer' at the moment. Unless this is fixed, attempting to last it out as a 'lone wolf' who might be suffering slow blood loss is a wholly redundant guesture: the game will kill you, regardless.

[/quote']

It's not a solo game killer. Blood transfusions aren't the only way to regain blood. Cans of food give 200 blood. And cooked meat gives you like 900.

If you're playing solo I'd assume you're heading inland, and there are more than enough animals to kill. A cow gives you 8 steaks, thats 7200 blood.

There are advantages and disadvantages of playing solo. The fact you see blood transfusions as a solo killers simply proves you're not very good at surviving solo, if indeed you already know about cooked meat. If not then, voila! Your problems are solved, go slaughter some helpless animals :)

Problem? Not.

Each tent has 100 slots' date=' as a lone wolf that leaves plenty of slots for cooked meat.

[/quote']

I believe it is 40 slots, and you are entirely correct about everything else :sleepy:.

The fact you see blood transfusions as a solo killers simply proves you're not very good at surviving solo' date=' if indeed you already know about cooked meat. If not then, voila! Your problems are solved, go slaughter some helpless animals :)

Problem? Not.

[/quote']

That told me. Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. And I'm happy about that. :)

I play ~30% solo and 70% in a small group (3-5 people) with TS and enjoy DayZ immensely. For an alpha version of a mod the amount of fun I'm already getting out of the game is simply incredible.

As I understand it you wont continue to lose blood if you have bandages right?

I keep 2 on me, if I use one I immediately seek out more. This may mean tossing cans at another player so Zeds kill them for me.

Then I eat food like crazy to get blood back.

I like 1.5.8 as it teaches you to be very very careful. You can solo (I've done it many times) and get the good gear. I've been killed by players for 100% of my deaths, dying to zombies means you haven't been very observant of how they behave. I like playing the game but it can be sometimes boring and frustrating ..... but that's when its time to step away and do something different (like step out of the house or play a different game).

What I find that is the potential to ruin the experience of DayZ, these forums TBH.

There are tweaks that need to be made and some good suggestions but as a community I find it 50/50 ... 50% good people contributing while the other 50% are selfish children. It is becoming like the old Counter-Strike forums with the amount of asshats coming onto the forums complaining about this and that because they don't like what the devs have done.

My opinion is that I trust in the devs to take in the direction they want it, if I don't agree with the end product I will stop playing it. I won't sit on the forums and whine all the time like a broken a record that my play style isn't catered for or that things need "drastic change" because of something I don't like.

As a community, we need to grow up and actually try to contribute with constructive criticism rather the selfish banter I've read the past few weeks. In the end you don't pay the devs, you don't own the devs, the devs don't owe you anything .... its an alpha and as such the end product may be completely different from it is now.

I love it but man is it difficult. I've only played a couple of hours, have a ton to learn, but this is one of the best games I've ever played. Thanks for the brilliance of coming up with it to Rocket and all involved.

More stable servers... The mod itself isint so glitchy, its just the servers cant keep up with the players connecting/playing...

... this is one of the best games I've ever played.

Totally agree, and I've been playing games since the 1970s.

I love this mod its really what i've been looking for since arma 2 game out, i used to play the an older zombie mod in arma yomies i belive it was calls, just love the fact that its persistant and world wide. So many custom mission besides Escape from Chernarus do not take full advantage of the map, (domination and warfare mission as well). only thing i don't like is all the bandits but what ever its part of the game, and well not that big of a issue now that im typically rolling with 5-9 people at a time with voice comms.

Mod is very fascinating & Fun to play.. but it gets boring real quick, playing with friends is almost only option if you want to play in long term..

100player servers would bring this into next level.. much more intense, while still having lots of room to move around for those peacefull moments..

I'm enjoying this mod immensely - like many I'm also a "lone wolf" player, but am toying with the idea of getting in some TS/Mumble server and teaming up with a few other people. Its the one part of the game I haven't experienced yet.

The issue with bloodpacks isn't really a problem once you are able to hunt and cook meat.

Downside? Certain people who seem to expect a polished game with no bugs. I've lost count of the number times this has cropped up here and on other forums I frequent, and the whingers just don't seem to get that a) It's an Alpha build, b)it's free, and c) because it's in alpha, features will come and go. Rocket has already said (for example) that if the removal of the Bandit/Humanity system proves a bad move, he'll simply roll it back. How is this not a bad thing, to get to try out different ways of playing this mod? Particularly when you see so much QQing by people who want to get into Beta's of upcoming studio releases. Here we ALL have the opportunity to not just beta test, but Alpha test. That's a pretty sweet opportunity if you ask me and while certain things may not work, as long as the comments are constructive, we will all win in the end.

I like to play DayZ solo ('lone wolf') which was possible in the 1.5.6 build but is all but impossible in the 1.5.7 build (which Rocket has suggested has a problem with zombie spawning numbers and frequency' date=' anyway). I would like DayZ to return to a more equitable balance of zombie numbers/spawns to ensure those who might still prefer to 'lone wolf' the game can at least try, but this entire notion of playing DayZ solo is also utterly dependent on re-looking at the game's blood system.

If a player suffers long-term blood loss it is my understanding that only another player can provide a blood transfusion. This seems to me to be a fundamental (actually, a fatal) flaw in any notion of playing the game solo (as the Developer suggests it can be played on this very website) - since at some indeterminate point in play any player suffering blood loss will absolutely need to team up with another in order to have a blood transfusion carried out.

[/quote']

I started after 1.5.7 was released and have been playing lone-wolf the entire time. It's really not hard.

And I don't know why you'd be worried about zed respawn times. Why are you killing them in the first place. If you want to be successful at lone-wolfing, learn to sneak.

Also, for blood loss, I agree that it should regenerate slowly over time, sort of like humanity does now.

To answer the original question, it's a lot of fun. Very compelling. The Arma II engine is kind of shit when it comes to animations and controls, but it does very large maps very well. Combat with zombies is janky as hell, but that should be smoothed out in time. Thumbs up.

My opinion is that I trust in the devs to take in the direction they want it' date=' if I don't agree with the end product I will stop playing it.[/quote']

I don't have quite the same trust in the devs as you, but I share your sentiment in the latter part of your comment. If I don't like what 1.5.8 reveals when it is finally released (and I suspect I won't) I will have the good manners to step away from the game for good.

Good to hear you guys are enjoying it.

I my self team up with 9 other people using TS, planning to get some tents, make a base and then scavenge vehicles for parts.

I agree the 100 slot server would make the game so much more intense and more entertaining.

I hate bandits, a large majority are from getting sniped off so I kill every single fucking bandit I see.

I like to play DayZ solo ('lone wolf') which was possible in the 1.5.6 build but is all but impossible in the 1.5.7 build (which Rocket has suggested has a problem with zombie spawning numbers and frequency' date=' anyway). I would like DayZ to return to a more equitable balance of zombie numbers/spawns to ensure those who might still prefer to 'lone wolf' the game can at least try, but this entire notion of playing DayZ solo is also utterly dependent on re-looking at the game's blood system.

If a player suffers long-term blood loss it is my understanding that only another player can provide a blood transfusion. This seems to me to be a fundamental (actually, a fatal) flaw in any notion of playing the game solo.....

[/quote']

You don't know about blood packs and blood from meat do you? You can find blood packs in hospitals, and cooked animal meat will give you blood as well.

Next time, try looking around the New Player Discussion, as it can help you with other stuff as well. Don't worry, we all learn new protips and features everyday about Day Z.

I definitely play lone wolf all day. I mean, people I've encountered on Day Z are either incompetent or want to take your shit... neither of them are helpful.

To those who think soloing is impossible on 1.5.7, are you high off your ass? I've got a Coyote Backpack, M4 w/ 6 mags, DMR w/ 4 mags, most utilities, a ton of cooked meat... all by myself. It's so much better now that soloing is difficult, not easy. You can't play the same way, you have to be stealth... not kill all zombies. You shouldn't be able to go guns blazing into a town without a MASSIVE amount of zombies being turned on to you.

If you want to solo, you have to make as small of a footprint as possible... on other players and on the zombies in the towns. You've got to accept that, short of having a LMG... you're not going to be mowing down zombies all day.

Get blood from cooked meat, you can get EIGHT freakin' steaks from a damn cow! Each healing you 800 health. It's a massive target standing stationary in the middle of a field. You've got to learn that Day Z is as much about simple survival as a concept, rather than just surviving zombies.

As to the OP, I'm really enjoying Day Z. It's the game of my dreams, and it's only in Alpha. There's something to be said about that.

Only thing I'm pissed about is that my friend is too cheap (He has a bo-jillion dollars in the bank) to buy a mid-range gaming computer to play alongside me.