Sign in to follow this  
Squeezit

Bought Arma specifically for this mod...

Perhaps I should have played the actual game first though.

Still learning controls, can't seem to close doors but I can open them. (enter key? lol)

I have a quick question though, I found an Axe in a treestump. Pressed enter on it several times, but never gave me the option to pick it up. Friend of mine said you could use axe's (or knives) so was I hitting the wrong key?

I kept trying to pick it up until a zombie decided to show up and interrupt me (yay my first zombie) which then chased me veeeery far away (picked up several more zombies on the way) also found out zombies can swim too as I tried to swim across water to escape. Found a lighthouse, climbed it, then ended up going prone on top of hte light house (watching the zombie climb the mountain towards me, wondering if it knew how to climb a lighthouse to get me) fell through the ground of the light house by going prone, and died. Came back to see I had apparently respawned and sat there screaming in agony (lulz) and climbed back up the lighthouse. (I seem to be dying though, or something. Not really sure)

So my main question is, is it just some axe's you can't pick up? Was I hitting a wrong button?

Should I just play the actual game before messing with DayZ? :P

Thanks guys ^^;;

Also is it possible to type chat? D:

If someone saves my life, I don't want to be the dick that just ignores him :C

Edited by Squeezit

Axes are found in barns, sheds etc.

I can help you abit starting up if you like.

Send me a PM

• Like 1

Use the scroll wheel and the middle mouse button for the majority of object interactions, Right click on items such as axes in your inventory to interact with them in certain ways dude.

You can only pick up axes from the ground. The one in the tree stump was not a weapon.

• Like 1

The axe in the tree stump is just a prop. The axe you are looking for should say "Hatchet" when you look at it. and it should be on the ground, And when you find it, you click the middle scroll button OR scroll and it will give you a option menu to the far left. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Look at the axe, use your middle mouse button click to pick the axe up.

If you dont have a mouse wheel, look at the axe and when you see a little gun icon in the middle of your screen with 2 little arrows around it....pres "g"

Then go into your inventory by pressing "g". Right mouse button on the axe and say "remove from tool belt"

This will take the axe from your belt and put it in your hands. Then press "r" to reload the axe...yes i know reloading is weird. But the way and axe works in DayZ is just like a gun...al be it short range!

Edit...just noticed your on about axes in the tree stump. No as mentioned...you cant pick thse up. They are just objects there for show!

Edited by GeordieMarv
  • Like 1

I played a bit of the armory in Arma 2 to get used to guns & vehicles etc. It didnt help too much as the 1st time i found a vehicle in day z i crashed it & killed myself after about 5 minutes!

I played day z first, i'm going to have to be really bored one day to actually play the game. but I am a fan of realistic modern warfare so I will probably do so over the weekend. I dont barely have time for dayz in the week what with work etc :( oh and my CSS team lol.

Oh wow! I didn't look back at this thread right away because I didn't expect so many answers so quickly! :o

Thanks, I'm glad to see this is a very active community :)

For activating doors, I've found that aiming at the top of the door helps a lot. Also be wary of swinging doors and gates. They're more dangerous than zeds and other players :(

Swinging doors/gates can hurt you? O.o

I think I've been running through the mountains for about an hour x_x they don't end

Edited by Squeezit

I use the middle mouse button. People say that it is too hard to use, but I don't see the problem with it. It's how I learned to play arma.

Press M3 (middle mouse button) as the action key, also you cannot take axes from treestumps, they are just textures

Middle Mouse button doesn't seem to do anything for me, or is that only when I see an item or something interactable?

I found a cow in the middle of the mountains.

Only thing alive (or dead) I've found up here.

Couldn't seem to do anything with it though

I bought it for just this mod as well, and im still a badass at surviving. So the only thing I think you can get frm playing it previously is learning the controls.

It does take a while to get the hang of the controls, but invest the time and it will reward you immensely.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the help, but I think I'll have to give up this morning :P

Spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to get out of these mountains but they're endless x_x (running in a constant direction, occasionally moving left or right, but always going in a mostly straight direction, you'd think I'd find some way out...) and I gotta work today so I need to get some sleep :P

Goodnight, thank you again for all your help! (I might revive this thread tomorrow, or after work tonight...)

Edited by Squeezit

I appreciate all the help, but I think I'll have to give up this morning :P

Spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to get out of these mountains but they're endless x_x (running in a constant direction, occasionally moving left or right, but always going in a mostly straight direction, you'd think I'd find some way out...) and I gotta work today so I need to get some sleep :P

Goodnight, thank you again for all your help! (I might revive this thread tomorrow, or after work tonight...)

Great tip for keeping a sense of direction is to take note of the angle of shadows of buildings, trees, your own character..... you can then use this to stay roughly on the right track. Before I figured this out I spent hours running round in circles wondering why when i headed inland I always ended up at the coast.

Of course a map and a compass would negate the need for shadow-reading. lol

I'm guessing you have to find a map and compass somewhere? :P

Yes, try markets. Look for the shopping cart icons on this map: http://www.dayzdb.com/map

Compasses and maps share the green pouch graphic on the ground, so look through every green pouch you find.

Edited by randir14

Yes, try markets. Look for the shopping cart icons on this map: http://www.dayzdb.com/map

Compasses and maps share the green pouch graphic on the ground, so look through every green pouch you find.

that map has helped me huge, definitely check it out. and if you're looking for something, the market is always a good place to start. a lot of useful spawns in those bldgs.

Thanks guys, a friend of mine showed me the map, only downside is I can't figure out where I spawn at to find where to go :/