Sign in to follow this  
DayZPvP.com

Why You Should Turn Shadows Off When Playing DayZ

In other words - Turn off shadows to play like a little whiner who can get free Ghillie Suits, isn't that right OP ;) ?

I should turn off shadows to make the game easier despite the fact it's difficulty is what attracted me in the first place?

Next you'll be telling me I need to learn how to server hop and Alt-F4, no thanks!

People who turn off shadows (for any reason other than performance issues) are playing the wrong game.

• Like 5

In other words - Turn off shadows to play like a little whiner who can get free Ghillie Suits, isn't that right OP ;) ?

You can't take ghillie suits off dead bodies so what you said makes no sense.

Don't hate because you might have to play safer.

I should turn off shadows to make the game easier despite the fact it's difficulty is what attracted me in the first place?

Next you'll be telling me I need to learn how to server hop and Alt-F4, no thanks!

People who turn off shadows (for any reason other than performance issues) are playing the wrong game.

I do not use or promote any kind of exploits. Get your facts right. Changing video settings has been done since the early days of PC gaming. If they are not meant to be changed then they would be server-side locked like the view distance.

I got my facts straight, this is a thread promoting the changing of graphics settings for the sole purpose of gaining an edge in combat, that's an exploit right there.

graphic settings are changeable because PCs are not like consoles, every one is different and each need different settings to work efficiently, locking it server side would cause all sorts of incompatibility issues and that's the only reason it isn't locked.

The excuse that "this is PC gaming, everyone does it" is very un-sportsman-like and one of the main areas Consoles are better than PCs, at least on the 360 I know all my enemies are seeing the exact same thing I am.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

graphic settings are changeable because PCs are not like consoles, every one is different and each need different settings to work efficiently, locking it server side would cause all sorts of incompatibility issues and that's the only reason it isn't locked, that doesn't mean you've been given a green light to change graphics for the sole purpose of giving yourself an edge in combat, it may not be glitching but it's definitely an exploit and the excuse that "this is PC gaming, everyone does it" is very un-sportsman-like and one of the main areas Consoles are better than PCs, at least on the 360 I know all my enemies are seeing the exact same thing I am.

I am simply sharing the facts. I am not here to make a moral statement, only showing how the game works.

Thank you for your opinion.

If you'd get that close you'd have been long dead and on long distances you don't even see the objects that detailed and would've seen them regardless of what settings you use...

If you'd get that close you'd have been long dead and on long distances you don't even see the objects that detailed and would've seen them regardless of what settings you use...

This is very true. Good players will take all this in to account when deciding if they have a good hiding place or not.

Edited by DayZPvP.com

I guess these kind of "Tips" are why BIS had to implement limits to the "Gamma" and "Brightness" controls in a recent Beta version.

I never got the point of making my game look worse just to get a lame advantage. I hope they lock shadows on...only thing is, that will hurt people with lower specs PCs who actually need to turn them off.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

that will hurt people with lower specs PCs who actually need to turn them off.

Irony is that lowering the shadow settings is likely to cause lag rather than solving it, as the game seems to have a bigger chance of being CPU limited over GPU limited and lowering your shadows renders them over the CPU :P.

Irony is that lowering the shadow settings is likely to cause lag rather than solving it, as the game seems to have a bigger chance of being CPU limited over GPU limited and lowering your shadows renders them over the CPU :P.

If you have no shadows its no stress on the cpu.

High or off for me. For most games shadows are the first to go for me. My processor is clocked at 2.2 I think. GTA4 was the worst. Putting shadows in the lower settings looked god-awful.

Edited by DayZPvP.com

not if you turn them off though :)

PS, Id expect them to be locked at High, with the ability to go to very high if you wanted.

But yes, Shadows on a setting lower than High will render them on the CPU.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

If you have no shadows its no stress on the cpu.

Point was that if they are locked on they will likely be set to low and people would make it even worse (their performance).

Point was that if they are locked on they will likely be set to low and people would make it even worse (their performance).

Not much can be done. It's just the reality we deal with and that's why I wrote the article. I am not going to avoid it just because it is controversial.

I have told you guys in the IRC before, but will say it again, and again: thanks for the great game Vipe

"How to abuse the graphics for an unfair advantage" would be a more appropriate title.

You call it abuse, others call it performance. Everyone needs to make their own decision on what is more important - eye candy or FPS.

Personally I will choose performance every single time in a multi player game. Pro gamers have been doing it for decades.