Sign in to follow this  
JaxElite

Overhaul of the needs of players

I know that parts of this suggestion have been made before but parts are also completely new. So the following is my personal idea of the system of food drinks blood etc. I will handle the parts in the order they are shown ingame:

Temperature

Bad symptoms from overheating caused by infections or staying too long too close at a fireplace. Symptoms would be something like:

- sweating, causing the player too dehydrate faster

- slowed down reaction (equals slower mouse settings, delayed shooting, kneeling or laying down)

- blurred vision

Overheating caused by an infection will come and leave with the infection or you can temporary cool down by cooling ureself with water (lakes or bottles, bottles will be emptied due to this and your thirst will stay). Overheating caused by fireplaces can be cooled lasting with water, or any other way to cool down your body temperature.

Also i think everyone has noticed that the body temperatures are slightliy off, causing our characters to be almost death all the time^^

Food

Does cooked steak saturate you the same amount then cold beans does? I dont think so. Food should not be filled completely by eating just a can of pasta.

Starvation starts way too fast. A normal man could survive a few DAYS without food, not just a few hours. Of cause this will be bound to symptoms of starvation being shown in order of apperance while you stave:

- stomach growling

- pain

- slowed down movement

- liability to infections

- blurred vision

- loosing your balance (falling down, loosing ability to move straight)

- loosing "blood"

- passing out

- eventually dying

Drinks

Drinking should add the same symptoms which should be added to eating but the tyme it takes you to dehydrate should stay the same.

Blood

is ok the way it is

Rest

Rest is a completely new part of the game. Your character will get exhausted over time showing the following systems:

- slowed down reaction (the same as with overheating)

- slowed down movement

- cooling down

- shaking

- liability to infections

- blurred vision

- loosing your balance (falling down, loosing ability to move straight)

- passing out

The first symtomps will occur afte 1-2 days without rest. Notice that you can not die even if you never rest but your chances to survive will decrease radically. Symptoms can partly be cured by simply waiting without moving but you can only stop every symptom and refill your rest if you sleep. How long you have to sleep to sleep to regain rest depends on the time you spend without rest ingame and the ground under you. You cannot disrupt your sleep manually, but a friend/bandit/zombie/animal/daylight/flare etc can when producing light on you or sounds close to you. To make it not too boring you can sleep while being offline but note that your body will stay on the server where you disconnected and can be killed or looted.

The rest system would make it harder to survive but would add a huge amount of realism to the game and will force players to move more tactical - searching for relatively safe or remote places to sleep. And the last thing is: haters gonna hate - i dont care

I agree on the starving to death in an hour on a game that has a real 24 hour day, it makes no sense. make food rarer and needed less often.

Alright ideas apart from the staying on the server while asleep, death to a server killing hack while not even logged in, No thanks.

any other idea how to rest without watching your chara sleepa few hours? I also dont like the idea of being killed while being offline but i have no other solution

I think the system is already 'realistic' enough, although I agree on the starvation part. People are able to not eat for days without dying, so it's a bit silly to already starve in hours.

But making the mechanics the way you purpose is a bit pushing it, if you ask me.

But making the mechanics the way you purpose is a bit pushing it, if you ask me.

which parts do you mean?

which parts do you mean?

The temperature, symptoms of starvation (and dehydration) and the resting part. I just feel that in this case it's just too much realism which in turn will be negative for the gameplaying.

I know that there are people who would like this to get implanted and although I enjoy the occasional realism in games. I don't think I would enjoy this.

....right - i am not sure about the resting part myself now^^ i thinik i should cancel that idea in my head but i would like to see the symptoms in something like "hardcore" or sth like that. have recruit regular veteran expert and hardcore...(btw where the hell is the difference between expert and veteran?)

Edited by JaxElite

Some solid ideas, although I usually sit a safe distance away from a fire. Sitting close enough to be warm but not close enough to become dehydrated would need to be implemented. Where this effect would work awesome is if we ever have burning buildings or forest fires. Being chased through a burning building by zombies could get fairly intense and you probably wouldn't feel so well afterwards.

Edited by LastShenanigan

Your thoughts on food and water are great and I would love to see them implemented, I just started playing and played for like an hour before dying of dehydration, because I couldn't find any water to drink. I also partially agree with the idea of rest, but I would think it to be better if it were more of a short burst thing (you sprint for awhile and have to sit down for a few seconds to catch your breath etc...).

- I agree on the Temperature, but it's known to be bugged (rocket even said so in some interview)

- I don't agree on the food lasting long, i know it does in real life, but change the need for food and you change a very elemental part of the game, needing to get food in your playtime, how ever short...

In regards to food, i would love Rocket to use a Callory system, where different foods give a different amount of callories (and even soda would give some callories), this would give every 'food & drink' item a dual-stat, one that satisfies thirst (liquid) and one that satisfies the callory need. This callory system could then be integrated into the 'activities' you undertake, and the weather, etc... making for a more subtle system alltogether. A can of beans f/e comes with liquids as well, while raw meat hardly does, water doesn't have callories, while coke does. etc...

- Blood needs some work too, i would personally prefer a 2hp/min regen, which is abouts the natural regen of the human body. Food should then give less direct HP, while at the same time, more items would give a lil HP. Bloodbags should give the amount of HP back that is contained in a bag (1 liter of blood, being 2 pints, being 2000HP)

- Instead or rest and sleeping, which i must say you did a decent effort to make it somewhat suitable for the game, still needs some work. I would personally already be very pleased with a Fatigue system, which wouldn't let you run for miles on end. It could work somewhat like the 'rest' system you put up, but it would work only as a short term resource instead of a longterm.