Sign in to follow this  
Hendrix27

Taking the game too seriously

I think there are a few people who take the mod/game too seriously, and expect too much. Now I know this is in some aspects a simulator and it is I will agree very realistic. But this is still a game to some extent, you can't expect every little detail to be that of real life.

I've seen posts of people who complain about how the PvP isn't realistic, how the shooting on sight and getting their camp sacked isn't realistic. This is still a game, people are making decisions based on the fact they are in a game. I'm sure the majority of players don't treat PvP like a real life situation (while I know there are plenty who do, sometimes I even do myself)

Or how food and water runs out unrealistically fast, this is still a game, if they made it so you only had to eat and drink based on real life standards that would be kind of silly.

And other things such as the glitchy animations, or the fact that its unrealistic that morphine can fix a broken bone, or that you magically get better from eating food and using a bandage. The list goes on.

This guys post is a good example: http://dayzmod.com/f...������� (looking back my reply to this post was stupid and not thought out, I get that)

Overall my point is that people need to just remember that this is still a game, while it is very realistic you guys can't expect this to be exactly like real life.

This is just my 2 cents anyway.

Edited by Hendrix27

I've seen posts of people who complain about how the PvP isn't realistic, how the shooting on sight and getting their camp sacked isn't realistic. This is still a game, people are making decisions based on the fact they are in a game. I'm sure the majority of players don't treat PvP like a real life situation (while I know there are plenty who do, sometimes I even do myself)

But that is realistic. Say DayZ happened to us in real life, you would have to kill everyone you met and take their belongings. Self preservation and survival of the fittest and all that.

If it really happened to all of us, it's like "you either die as a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain".

Quote from Batman, Dark Knight

Edited by JohnYueAlien

But that is realistic. Say DayZ happened to us in real life, you would have to kill everyone you met and take their belongings. Self preservation and survival of the fittest and all that.

I guarantee you 99% of Day Z players wouldn't run around capping people at a glance because they liked their backpack or whatever they were holding in their hand (or for fun), despite the fact that everybody likes to grow their epeen.

Eh? Dayz isn't real?

you mean I haven't been surviving on Chernarus for the last 3 weeks?

God Dammit, I thought my time had finally came.

If it was real life I can promise you, as you said, 99% of the players in the game wouldn't have the guts, stomach or will to pull a trigger on someone. There are alot of psychological factors that come into play, and even though none of us like having our brains examined and typically shrug it off by taking on the tough guy act, there would have to be a serious and desperate situation before anyone pulled the trigger on sight over a can of beans or backpack.

Difference in the game is, it doesn't matter. The guy you just blew away will respawn. He'll be upset, but he'll be able to run around and get his stuff back, or gun down someone else for their stuff. It doesn't matter because you respawn.

If you gun someone down in real life they won't respawn. You remove that person from the face of the earth with all the consequences that will bring with them. What will others think about you? What about the persons family? Kids? Parents? Also, shooting someone is serious even if you just wound them. Alot of people seem to have this impression that a gunshot wound to the leg isn't that dangerous. Well... gunshot wound to the leg can cause you to bleed out, can cause serious problems with muscles which may never fully heal again.

Sitting infront of a PC and shooting pixels in the shape of a human is one thing. Doing it for real is a completely different ballgame altogether.

So anyways, ontopic. A game is a game. Shooting someone else don't matter (besides the rep you make for yourself in the community). To stop the shoot on sight mentality there needs to be mechanics in place in the game that makes you think twice before you pull the trigger.

E.g. fix the Alt-F4 / abort issue will help within the cities. Are you gonna fire that Enfield at another player, knowing you can't alt-F4 out to get rid of zombie aggro? Especially so if the zombies are improved and more dangerous indoors as well ?

Also by making guns plentiful and ammo scarce, are you going to fire your gun knowing it took you 3 hours to find enough bullets for one clip?

There are plenty of ways to discourage the fire at will mentality.

It is, however, up to the devs to put those things ingame.

And as far as I understand Rocket based on interviews and how he wants the game to become. He wants the choice to still be yours. Do you take the risk of shooting others? Is it worth it?

Right now people shoot eachother because there is zero/minimal risk and alot to gain from it (such as free loot, obviously), or because they are laying 700m away with zero risk of zombie aggro or being detected just to inflate their murder count.

The risk vs reward is absolutely not balanced in the current state of the game.

Well, yes some people take it too far but, if it were to happen in RL, there would be more murders going on, because in RL you cant server hop to get food or water, you can just go to some random pond and fill a canteen, food doest respawn at markets, you wont find any weapons in barns and what not, unless those people just so happen to have one.