BobBlackadder

Disappearing Inventory when swimming

Date/Time: 21/5-12, half past 1 am in game time, IRL time half past 2 am

What happened: lost all inventory, bag with all in it andmain weapon, kept sidearm, belt and speciel equipment.

Where you were: Pobeda dam

What you were doing: refilling water bottles when swimming to shore I kept swimming inside the ground, relogged when i came back the stuff were gone. If it has any importance, I think I was swimming with my pistol drawn, might not be, but could be.

*Current installed version: 1.5.7

*Server(s) you were on: EU5

This is a pretty well known bug, Swimming pretty much anywhere deeper then waist high means all your stuff minus your pistol+ammo drops to the bottom of whatever you're swimming in. I've had it happen to myself a couple times but was fortunate enough to have the stuff close to the shoreline so that I could go prone in the water and pick my stuff up off the ocean floor; mind you it was close enough to land that I wasn't deep enough to drop my stuff back in.

Losing gear when swimming is a feature(maybe bug) of ArmA 2.

I think the idea is you would drown if you tried to swim with large amounts of gear on you, so you lose it instead.

I kinda find that "Drowning with large amounts of gear on you" thing a bit exaggerated. Maybe if you had some super heavy stuff, but soldiers with similar gear can still swim with it. Losing a bit of gear i can understand, but when you lose litterally everything but your sidearm, that's when it gets a little rediculous.

Its a feature not a bug, try swimming with full backpack and weapons in real life. That's right its impossible.

lrn2arma

Its a feature not a bug' date=' try swimming with full backpack and weapons in real life. That's right its impossible.

lrn2arma

[/quote']

Not a feature, IIRC the original Arma design was that you would be able to swim till you got tired THEN you would dump your gear, it's never worked right however because the amount of time it takes you to lose your gear varies, it can happen when you get exhausted or the instant you start to paddle.

The concept is silly,i never got why they didn't just make overburdened characters unable to swim.

"It's an Arma problem" isn't an excuse for things in a mod, hence the reason Rocket is fixing ladders and changing the inventory a little in the new patch.

Its a feature not a bug' date=' try swimming with full backpack and weapons in real life. That's right its impossible.

lrn2arma

[/quote']

Not a feature, IIRC the original Arma design was that you would be able to swim till you got tired THEN you would dump your gear, it's never worked right however because the amount of time it takes you to lose your gear varies, it can happen when you get exhausted or the instant you start to paddle.

The concept is silly,i never got why they didn't just make overburdened characters unable to swim.

"It's an Arma problem" isn't an excuse for things in a mod, hence the reason Rocket is fixing ladders and changing the inventory a little in the new patch.

Really? u said its not a feature but u later describe it as a feature that doesnt work properly.

it's never worked right however because the amount of time it takes you to lose your gear varies' date=' it can happen when you get exhausted or the instant you start to paddle.[/quote']

What if the variation is based on your stamina.

You lose your gear when you're exhausted, you lose your gear instantly, if you're already exhausted.

It is a feature, not a bug, and it is based on your stamina. Llike Dallas mentioned, don't go swimming when you are out of breath already. Stop for a while to calm down before you go swimming.

Ah, this reminds me of my days in boot camp trying to tread water wearing cammies, boots, a kevlar helmet, an alice pack and holding a rifle.

It actually is possible for extended periods (depending on how much gear you have). If you float on your back and kick your feet, you can float pretty much anywhere, but its tiring.

I only tested it with an empty backpack in the editor and it felt like I could sprint alot longer, than what I've experienced in DayZ with a full pack. While swiming it's a bit difficult to hear your breathing over the crashing waves, but it sounded like, I regained some of my stamina by threading water or swimming slowly in "walk toggle".

It happened to me a few minutes ago, and it's a ridiculous feature. At least let the player know you are drowning and have to loose your gear. And I agree that just because it may be a feature in Arma 2 doesn't mean you shouldn't get rid of it in a good mod.

Also if you toggle walk you should be able to swim/thread water either forever or for alot longer than if you're fast swimming by toggling run.

I just tested this by slow swimming a large distance back from the ocean debug zone with gear. I was put into the debug zone after sniping laying prone, so no exhaustion prior to ocean. While you can slow swim a very long ways, you eventually drop your gear. I estimate that I slow swam for somewhere under 5 minutes before I dropped my gear. I was unable to further test whether or not treading water every minute or so would replenish stamina enough to slow swim indefinitely.

On a related note, I just lost a M4A1 CCO SD, M9SD, DMR, Coyote large, GPS, and a few other things. >_<

Had to revise, can't recreate in the editor and recommend swimming for more than 5-10 carrying all gear.