Sign in to follow this  
v1ktor

I thought 225km was big.....

When i first started DayZ I thought WOW! Battlefield 3 was a total failure with 1km/1km (if lucky) maps and it seemed to take ages to run from Cherno to Elektro. Now, a week later I have logged 67 hours into the game (steam claims so) and the map is starting to feel VERY small (especially after I have stolen 5 vehicles now). You can run from Cherno airfield to the NWAF in 38minutes flat and 1 hour from cherno to north end of the map.

Were there any plans to expand the map or anything of that sort?

You can run from Cherno airfield to the NWAF in 38minutes flat and 1 hour from cherno to north end of the map.

Were there any plans to expand the map or anything of that sort?

If I facepalmed any harder my children will be born with broken noses.

:rolleyes:

• Like 11

Im lost, Cherno has its own Airfield?

NWAF isnt considered the northend of the map?

yes, there is an airfield just west of chernogorsk and there are no other big landmarks around so which is why I call it the cherno airfield

If you have math problems I do feel bad for you, 1km=1000 meters. You run 100 meters (1 gps block) in 18.7 seconds (lets just say 20) The main airfield is 8 km away from the airstrip down south so lets do some basic math.

20 seconds per 100 meters*10 (100*10=1000 meters [1km])

200 seconds for 1 km

8 km total

8*200=1600 seconds

1600 seconds/60= 26.6667 minutes which is the perfect timing and I would add 4min to that for some stops.

Edited by v1ktor

You should actually play a bit instead of just sprinting to insert high end loot spot here. Loot is really only there to assist you in surviving and adventuring. It's not the point of the mod.

Edited by KennyNZ

Yep, they definitely plan to increase the map size, and the server size to about 200 people.

Thank you for being the only one to actually respond to the question.

Thank you for being the only one to actually respond to the question.

No problem. The current engine can already handle maps double the size up to about 450km2 I believe.

Edited by Wrath

They cant change the size of chernarus unless Rocket can get one of Bohemias map designers to expand it. I would assume they are busy with Arma 3 maps though.

Yeah you won't see changes till the standalone. What Rocket just said in his latest interview is that he also wanted islands. So you'd be crossing between islands on boats etc. I think that sounds awesome.

actually, it seems there are no real safe places to make a camp anymore. It is either too high traffic or way to obvious

• Like 2

It only really feels small because, once you go north, all you're going there for is the airfields and somewhere to set up camp.

All those towns around the middle of the map, or up north but not near the airfields, go unused and unvisited. Who wants to go to a town with crappy loot and lots of zombies when you could get an M4A3 at the NW airfield?

What I think Rocket needs to do is a complete overhaul of the spawn places in Chernarus. Heading north should still get better loot, sure, but why not spread it out more? Set a couple of buildings in the northern towns as town doctor's buildings that have only a box of med supplies spawn, or a town police office that has a chance of spawning a couple of Glocks, M9s, and MP5s.

That way you still have the airfields still as the best loot spots, but it gives incentive for people to branch out and explore the less visited towns, thus making the map seem "larger".

• Like 4

I agree. By Game standards the Map is huge, but for practicality it is very small.

They cant change the size of chernarus unless Rocket can get one of Bohemias map designers to expand it. I would assume they are busy with Arma 3 maps though.

not true there are many modded maps in arma 2, stop spoutning assumptions as fact.

however, the map designer (Bukta?) has already said he is hoping to do some changes to chernarus for dayz alone. expanding it further inland, and presumably some islands. Perhaps they will replace some buildings with enterable ones?

When i first started DayZ I thought WOW! Battlefield 3 was a total failure with 1km/1km (if lucky)

yeah and now DICE/EA are very proud of them self by makeing largest map in BF history - form one airfild to another will be 2400m (but you will not be able to fly that coz enemy spawn is no flight zone) and distance between first and last target will be 1900m :D

yep, expect to see bigger maps in the future, probably split into large zones. Rocket also hinted at other islands accessible via boat. He acknowledges that one of the biggest draws of DayZ is the exploration of the map so he intends to give us bigger areas with more interesting things to see and interact with, I can't wait!!

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

I don't understand you. Can you explain where he was being silly? Aside from maybe failing the search function?

Edit:

Balota is right next to Cherno and Cherno is a lot bigger. Don't act stupid, unless you aren't acting. Then I'm sorry.

And no, NWAF is by far not the north-end of the map. Look at the map again and tell me there is nothing above NWAF. You can run for a good 20 minutes extra up north from NWAF before you reach the "end" of the map.

Edited by Athrins

must be trolling.. it takes you an hr to get across the map and your complaining the map is to small. <_<

• Like 1