Sign in to follow this  
Onihane

Personal Space for Players

So, recently it has come to my attention that there is talk of possibly adding underground bases or some sort of player "home" if you will. I think this could be a great idea if done well, here are some things I would consider on the subject:

A) Ask yourself do you want players to have a private safe haven to call their own that can be accessed from any incarnation of your character tied to your cd key through maybe a menu button, or something more realistic like maybe a fallout shelter you can lock with a key. I like the idea of a key'd shelter but I encourage everyone to post what they'd like to see as well. Make an item that holds a spair key that looks like a rock or a patch of grass or something and that sounds pretty balanced to me. Players wouldn't want to loose their spair if they have their main key on their character which can die.

B) It could be possible to completly outfit your space with things like lockers, astetic items like deer mounts and other clutter items, refridgerators, generators if you want lighting, stuff like that. This could also encourage players to work together more for their common base and impact the random bandit population as wel las provide maybe a type of trade system. Cause I mean, who dosen't want more random cool stuff?

C) Should the said base or home be easily obtained say each character has one by default, or should it be something that is completly build from the ground up with say things like scrap metal?

And on a completly seperate note; Fortune cookies. Eat em, fill up, get some flavor text in green on the bottom of your screen. "He who carries beans, gets beaned" That would be pretty funny.

Sorry if this topic is similar to others I haven't done much digging. But, I encourage everyone to post their thoughts and feelings about things like this, because I know the dev's do read these and the goal of this game is to be player made in the end.

• Like 1

Whose making these keys? Keymaster from the matrix?

AH yes, good observation. I dunno, maybe have some kind of junk item like deadbolt assembly. I am against the idea of there just being something without reason.

With the keymaster comes a gatekeeper.

(nothing to add, but the joke had to be made.)

• Like 2

^You have my beans, sir. :)

I already have a house in Day Z. There's a school nearby, shopping is convenient, and even a fire station just down the road. Too bad about all the "visitors" on my lawn...

• Like 1

No homes. No safe places. No stash.

Why would any of those things be in this game? This isn't World of Warcraft.

• Like 1

There should be a mechanic to let you hide caches of food stuffs and ammo. The draw back is other players could find them while looking for a place to hide their shit. Here in Texas burying guns and ammo are common. (people bury spares so the government cant take them if they get froggy).

They even sell air tight containers to bury AKs and ARs in.

Maybe:

Shovel + Garbage bag = bury your treasure.

There would have to be some small visual queue to add risk.

Metal detectors could be added for treasure hunters. :D

Edited by REVOLT

maybe a milltary stonghold where players cant shoot each other and safely trade?

only downside i can think of is the fact that snipers would lurk around the entrance and shoot anyone who comes along then steal there gear

so it would end up being controled by a group and they would horde all sorts of stuff in there and only let there clan/group enter without getting shot

being able to go into the sewer systems for the citys would be good

have high lvl loot in there, but also massive mobs of zeds to make it a really big risk

maybe a milltary stonghold where players cant shoot each other and safely trade?

Is not ever going to happen. Ever.

You will never find a safe place in DayZ ever.

only downside i can think of is the fact that snipers would lurk around the entrance and shoot anyone who comes along then steal there gear

so it would end up being controled by a group and they would horde all sorts of stuff in there and only let there clan/group enter without getting shot

thats why i also put that part in there

"safe havens" would end up being death traps and not serveing said purpose

it would take away from the game

it would lose its gut wreaching panic as ur trying to evade sniper fire while running through the forest knowing that there is a safe place to go and re-stock if u died

You will never find a safe place in DayZ ever.

You keep saying stuff like that and I question youre attention to Rocket's Rezzed vid. Underground bunker...rather safe to me.

One thing thatd be awesome...A generator and power in the bunker thinger.

Imagine having to find the generator and get it back safely. Keeping it fueled, oh man. Modular bunker expansion? Yers yers.

And now that DayZ has some competition, probably best if they dont let certain things become glaring points of lacking in their game.

^Hey Jayke! You win the totally useless post due to lack of any explanation of your disagreement with the OP award. Gratz.

And now that DayZ has some competition,

Whats the competition?

On Topic though, i'm unsure about going underground, it almost sounds a bit to Minecraft mixed with a dash of Fallout 3/Metro 2033..

How would it implemented? Instances? A map made of blocks? Pre-made bunkers you can 'claim'? None of those methods seem to fit personally.Also, why would you want to live in a pit when zombies are shuffling around on ground level?

Surely one day you'll open the door/hatch to find a bunch of infected stuck in the doorway! See we should go up not down...

Treehouses.

Edited by Never