chaostactical

Character Identification

Would be nice.. seeing as how legion runs with up to two dozen people on our server, to have some distinguishing feature so we dont shoot on sight, and how we can know who not to trust, ect....

anything, like.. clothing, or what not.

Just posted this in another topic and think it's a good idea:

"Maybe an option to go up to someone and exchange names through the menu to reveal tags during your life would be a good idea though since character models look the same. That would simulate sight recognition since you have "met" the player by exchanging names. After you die though, you have to take the same risks and meet people face-to-face again to get their tags revealed."

"Maybe an option to go up to someone and exchange names through the menu to reveal tags during your life would be a good idea though since character models look the same. That would simulate sight recognition since you have "met" the player by exchanging names. After you die though' date=' you have to take the same risks and meet people face-to-face again to get their tags revealed."

[/quote']

This is a really, really, really good solution.

I think that it would be even better if it let you identify the bodies of the people you have met as well.

lightsticks are homo, that shouts "SHOOT ME NOW" at night.. but

maybe a peice of clothing, a bright yellow or blue shirt.. or a player model.. :3

Yhe , we The Freelancers [20ppl] would like our symbol on our hat or sholders

I don't usually like people suggesting to implement features that come from other mods, but PR got it quite right, you can point someone and hit a key to show you their name, and there's also a delay. This way you have to spot someone before seeing their name, it works up to a certain range, you can't spam it, and it's less artificious than having to "introduce" yourself to people via an action menu.

Oooh, let us wear little flags on our hats with player set symbols!

You can see who it is while keeping your sights centered on their head!

There's a basic "greeting" command you can give in Vanilla ArmA2 when you approach a unit.

Perhaps doing this to another player could trigger having their name-tag appear at a certain range, or with a push of a button.

i think color identifications, would be nice... so you can see from far enough away to know if you can approach or stay away.

its not about cosmetics, its about character identification, just something basic to differentiate dickhead PK'ers, from allies, or clan members.

Chaos' pid='3879' dateline='1335650869']

its not about cosmetics' date=' its about character identification, just something basic to differentiate dickhead PK'ers, from allies, or clan members.

[/quote']

And at last we come to the crux of the threads topic.

Yeah, the whole TS "Ok, spin around, ok now crouch, ok now look up and down real fast, ok i think that's you" is a bit silly.

Though the flag idea was a joke, a model animation that pulls out a scarf or a sheet or something and waves it above head for a second would fit in pretty well with this mod. For people looking for it and using binoc's they'd be able to see the color on the card.

Should be easy enough to put in a huge variety of simple color combos and patterns. Only issue is going back to the models and adding anims.

I recently gunned down someone I would rather not have because we were heading straight for each other. Being decently equipped I was not about to risk someone killing me and stealing my goods so I was forced to drop the poor guy. After seeing "X was killed" I realized it was someone I knew and I felt really bad about it but the situation didn't allow me to ID him.

I really wish there was a way to differentiate one player from another without having them do some sort of animation. In the end the whole "raise flag/card" option will force me to give my position away by asking the person who I may/may not end up killing to ID himself. If we could just wear some sort of arm band or different colored cap/shirts it would save a lot of hassle with the whole "Ok go prone right now" thing.

I think this suggestion has a lot of merit and I see no negative impacts from an ID system other then your enemies knowing who you are.

Vulkan' pid='3879' dateline='1335650869']

its not about cosmetics' date=' its about character identification, just something basic to differentiate dickhead PK'ers, from allies, or clan members.

[/quote']

If you want to identify your clan member, look for the guy hacking the forums.

Just posted this in another topic and think it's a good idea:

"Maybe an option to go up to someone and exchange names through the menu to reveal tags during your life would be a good idea though since character models look the same. That would simulate sight recognition since you have "met" the player by exchanging names. After you die though' date=' you have to take the same risks and meet people face-to-face again to get their tags revealed."

[/quote']

I really, really like this idea.

Holstered weapons. That is all. If someone has a weapon out. They're hostile. If not, they're not (at least while they don't you have time to type or talk it out, flee, etc). This is all I need. /shrug

so many people want to have this mod as realistic as it is and as realistic as possible. i pretty much like it this way, cuz i'm totally fed by all these FPS and unrealistic games. DayZ (and ArmaII) are games/simulations i've been looking for for a long time.

now, it's pretty realistic to recognize people by their appearance. for example: me and my two friends went into a ruin to take a look what's inside. once we left the entrance behind and stood in the ruin's tower i recognized we were suddenly 4 people. as a matter of fact not being able to tell apart who's who someone paniced and one person started shooting and it turned into a massacre. i was the only one to survive, my two friends remained dead and i avanged them after the stranger ran on top of the tower (i don't know what exactly happened, but i guess everyone just shot at everyone, involving friendly fire. happily I immediatelly managed to run outside and didnt get in fire line).

if we had optical differences on the models this may have happened in a different way. in real life everybody doesn't look the same and you can recognize pretty fast who's a person you know and who's not. would be pretty cool if you could somehow make your character individual in an optical way. dunno if that's possible since i read somewhere that arma doesn't naturally support skin changing (would also explain that open sea glitch).

PS: if that stranger in the tower reads this post, please don't be mad, we were all scared as hell :D

Go play TF2 if you want some cosmetic shit.

"Cosmetic shit"? What kind of retarded...

Seriously, being able to identify targets by sight is "cosmetic shit" now? Not, you know, the entire reason things like flags and uniforms ever came into existence in the first place? Differentiating friend from foe is key to strategic success on the battlefield. Armbands, facepaint, uniforms, particular hair styles, tattoos... whatever it takes. Knowing who to shoot and who not to shoot goes a little deeper than cosmetics I should think.