VossRG

Long term survival is pointless

My goal for the last few days has been to live in the interior by hunting. Yesterday' date=' I almost accomplished this - I found a knife and matches in Cherno, and was 10 yards from the treeline and safety when a "survivor" killed me in one hit.

Today, I decided to avoid the big cities. I found a Winchester in a barn, and made my way north. Eventually, I found a knife. I took a break and then connected to a different server, which was doing the "no zombies, no loot" thing. I decided I would check out one of the northern towns, just to see what's there.

In one of the buildings was a dead survivor, who had matches. I was so excited that I hid myself in the building, while I looked at a newly-found map to figure how to get out as safely as possible.

After about 2 minutes, I left the building in a sprint, only to be instantly gunned down by "survivors" at the doorstep.

That followed hours upon hours upon hours of searching every promising building, which entailed carefully scouting it out from a distance, determining which route to take, crawling around the zombies with no margin for error, and then doing it again at the next site.

There is no point in having such goals as a survivor in this game. Life will only get easier and easier for the bandits as they accumulate the rarer and more effective items, while it gets harder for us.

Instead, just have fun in Chernogorsk or Elektrozavodsk, running from zombies or shooting player killers (or being player killers). All the time you put into attaining a goal will only be snuffed out in a second.

In the end, no amount of caution can save you. So throw it to the wind, and live for the moment.

[/quote']

Sounds like you're just being reckless and your foolishness is getting you killed.

I've survived for almost a whole week now. I've been mobbed by zombies. I've engaged in 4 fire fights against bandits, in 3 of those the bandits had the advantage in numbers, and I came out alive. I was even knocked out in one of them and put down to a mere 350 blood but thankfully one of my buddies was nearby to give me a transfusion.

Yeah, you will get messed up every so often, but by being cautious you can minimise risk

Try to survive alone in a zombie apocalypse and you will surely die. You will increase your odds of survival if you team up. Therein lies the problems of those who deceive and lie to achieve there own personal agendas though. So be sure to choose your friends wisely.

I dont agree Lexi. I think if you want to depend on anyone, then depend on yourself. The minute you rely on others, is the minute you lose control.

Dont get me wrong, there are many advantages to grouping up. But, as the case in many horror films, it only takes one bad egg in the group to cause death.

I cant believe just how much this game makes you think about so many different issues. I've never played a game quite like it, its sweeeet :)

I died 3 times by bandits.. my laws are.. You shoot at me... I shoot you... you look suspicious i shoot you... you aim at me... i shoot you.. I tend to avoid survivors... if zombies are after them i will help.. I usually book it out if i see someone....

Survivors are generally weaker because they INSIST on remaining in the south' date=' blasting away at zeds and players alike, meaninglessly, in Elektro and Cherno until someone finally puts them out of their noob misery.

No matter which server you join you'll find some stooge typing furiously away: "Friendly in elektro? Who's shooting by the hospital in Cherno?" etc etc. It's comical.

The north, NW and NE are much different. The loot is much better. Encounters with other players are rare...but deadly. I'd wager 60% of Day Z players haven't been north of Pusta...

Most players -- in any game -- do what is both easiest and most popular. For Day Z that means running around Elektro and Cherno and whining about the absence of loot.

[/quote']

^^This would be why survivors never make it far where as bandits tend to cross a lot more land and scout for more gear than just looking for the same crap in the same town. Learn to explore the whole of the map and your chances of survival will go up no matter what role you play.

I have a map(3 maps, 2 for my buds, no dupping), compass, GPS, toolbox, huntingknife, NVG, Binoculars, matches and I am alive for over a week while playing 5-6 hours per day ;)

Conclusion: Stay in Cherno and rot you noobie :D

I addressed this issue and fixes right here.

But at the moment, game is in concept phase more or less, hence the debug screen and common fixes.

Sounds like you're just being reckless and your foolishness is getting you killed.
What foolishness, pray tell? My decision to move far north, travelling through forest, raiding only farms and kolhozs? My decision to not enter the UAZ I found that was being repaired north of Zub, for fear of the engine starting and giving away my position? My decision to abort my approach to Vyshnoe, as the zeds were making it too risky? My policy of checking the opposing treeline before starting my approach? Was that foolish? Was that reckless?

I was murdered in Novy Sobor, but it easily could have been anywhere. Everytime you make an approach to a building, you are a sitting duck. Two lives ago, I sat on a hill and watched two survivors carefully crawl to the kolhoz north of Chernogorsk. I could have easily shot them from where I sat. Would that mean they were reckless? No, it just means they were lucky that I'm not a murderer. I didn't have that luck when my time came.

You don't have eyes in the back of your head. You don't have X ray vision - at any moment, someone can appear at the treeline you just left, drawn to the same loot you were drawn to, and shoot you in the back. Or they can be around the corner of the building you're crawling past. No amount of precaution can prevent that.

Groups can help their fallen comrades. Lone wolves have no one.

There are tents, but I have seen a (undeployed) tent exactly once in this game (the server restarted a minute later, before I could take it).

I'm sure I would be called reckless if I endangered myself by looking high and low for this item that is designed to mitigate risk. You can't win.

I guess my real point was not that long term survival is impossible, but that as a lone wolf, you shouldn't be too dedicated to a long term goal - in the end, you'll be just as dead, so enjoy your survival while it lasts.

I've survived inside Cherno without issue for the last couple of days, it's a pretty boring town but the constant traffic keeps me well stocked, the secret is NVGs, a silenced rifle and the patience to wait for dinner to come to you.

I haven't looted a single building since arriving, just hung around my vantage point and ambushed the unwary or unprepared. The moments when I'm scurrying off my hideout to loot their bodies is worrying, I'm sure I'll eventually get caught off-guard while looting but for now I've managed without issue.

well the beauty of this game is the many ways you can play it. I wouldn't say your a nooby for going to cherno and looking to team up - you're just looking to play a risky game.

I like to alternate. Sometimes after surviving a long while in the wild and dying, I'll head straight into town on my next life with some noobies I met on the coast.

The beauty of this game is you can play it anyway you like. It puzzle me when I see people criticizing other peoples play style. The game is what YOU make of it, that's what is beautiful. No scripting, no rewards, no achievements. Its grizzly and unforgiving, its DayZ

Organised survivors are just as bad as bandits. The whole "if youre not with us' date=' youre against us" attitude takes over and the group will kill all they come across, without question. Its just what happens, no one wants to take the risk of losing an established group member, over possibly adding a new one.

[/quote']

Unfortunetly, this is extremely true.

Me and 5 other friends were playing together on a pretty full server last night. Our basic rule was "if they look at you for more then 3 seconds, shoot them." also, any close encounters we would KOS. We all literally spend hours finding eachother and heading up to the main airfield full of guns and ammo. Loosing a member is TERRIBLE.

If you expect to live forever in this mod, you're missing the entire point of survival. You're not supposed to be immortal, you're just supposed to live longer than the last time. There's a reason the only measured mechanic on the main page is "Average Life Expectancy." I've been playing for over two weeks and only died 3 or 4 times, always to zombies, never once to survivors or bandits, mainly because of my caution. Sneaking into any town doesn't take more than 5 minutes, and if that's a long time for you, then you really should learn to be more patient. This is what separates us from the bandits: For survivors, the things that happen as we survive, the close calls with zombies, the few fleeting moments of cooperation or the insane runs across half the map for a single specific item, even dying in that mad quest, those are what we're playing for. Those are the great stories we tell that get new people to play the game.

I don't agree with OP. My friend and I have been doing really well moving from place to place. Sticking to the woods as much as possible. We've only come across one other survivor while looting a town. My mate stayed up on the hill with his CZ to cover me while I went in.

Being careful will cost you time, but you'll have more time to spend.

My goal for the last few days has been to live in the interior by hunting. Yesterday' date=' I almost accomplished this - I found a knife and matches in Cherno, and was 10 yards from the treeline and safety when a "survivor" killed me in one hit.

Today, I decided to avoid the big cities. I found a Winchester in a barn, and made my way north. Eventually, I found a knife. I took a break and then connected to a different server, which was doing the "no zombies, no loot" thing. I decided I would check out one of the northern towns, just to see what's there.

In one of the buildings was a dead survivor, who had matches. I was so excited that I hid myself in the building, while I looked at a newly-found map to figure how to get out as safely as possible.

After about 2 minutes, I left the building in a sprint, only to be instantly gunned down by "survivors" at the doorstep.

That followed hours upon hours upon hours of searching every promising building, which entailed carefully scouting it out from a distance, determining which route to take, crawling around the zombies with no margin for error, and then doing it again at the next site.

There is no point in having such goals as a survivor in this game. Life will only get easier and easier for the bandits as they accumulate the rarer and more effective items, while it gets harder for us.

Instead, just have fun in Chernogorsk or Elektrozavodsk, running from zombies or shooting player killers (or being player killers). All the time you put into attaining a goal will only be snuffed out in a second.

In the end, no amount of caution can save you. So throw it to the wind, and live for the moment.

[/quote']

Keep to hardcore servers and play cautious. In hardcore servers, players cannot use mousewheel to spot you from 1000+ meters away(or max view distance), they cannot peak around corners with 3rd person. They cannot see you in bushes, forests, cover at all. If you play at night, its actually much easier to scavenge as the cover of night is the best and all you need to worry about is 10 feet in front of you. (unless the moons out). Good luck!

so bandits are gathering all this gear, and you die to survivors? where are the bandits in your story?

so bandits are gathering all this gear' date=' and you die to survivors? where are the bandits in your story?

[/quote']I put survivors in quotation marks, because they obviously were trying to become bandits, or had no problem with becoming one. By simply murdering people, in an instant you get access to any rare items the victim was carrying, which might have taken him hours to find.

Surviving is easy. Go into towns in the night. Stay outside the towns in the day. Don't be visible if you don't want to be shot.

I don't agree with OP. My friend and I have been doing really well moving from place to place. Sticking to the woods as much as possible. We've only come across one other survivor while looting a town. My mate stayed up on the hill with his CZ to cover me while I went in.

Being careful will cost you time' date=' but you'll have more time to spend.

[/quote']

carefulness will amount to nothing if you happen to cross paths with a mean dude.

Crawl all you want, if they see you, you are done