Sign in to follow this  
Neokolzia

Arma 2 Bullet Travel/Windage/ Other Factors, possible to bombard at 5+km?

I was thinking if I could get ahold of the calculation Arma 2's engine uses for bullet deceleration and drop, I would beable to say take a group of players with M240/Mk 48 Mod 0's, and provide fairly high percision fire support at 2-3km (easily further I imagine).

If A formla could be created, would be as simple as, finding Said group of players say at cherno with your spotter/forward watcher, give exact position, and calculating the true distance to target, including the elevation drop/rise, easily done with Pythagoras, a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

Now if you could get all this fairly basic info, you'd beable to have the formula so you'd enter all the details of the target, and your squad, and solve for the angle which your squad would need to fire at, which is a bit more difficult I think since there is no easy to way I'm aware of in-game to get precise angles in-game with guns, even then though with rough angles and say 6-8 players with M240's Mk48's, raining hell at the marker's direction at a rough 30 degree angle, since I don't believe windage is a factor in Dayz, the bullets should not only Land near the target, they will be easily verifiable with the tracer effect, not sure how long the tracer remains active in Arma 2.

I could just imagine doing this against Cherno or Electro on a High-Pop server at night time, with a side by side video of the Over watch and the firing squad, with all the tracer effects going off, would look amazing, it would rain fire down in the target, and accusation of hacking will ensue.

Edited by Neokolzia

simple formula: know the future

its takes something like 3-4 sec to bullet to hit the target at this distance (2 km)

those who you was shooting at can DC before the bullet even hit them :lol:

Edited by DooM4MR

yes I am aware the travel time would be high.

Thats not the point,

A, We would be out of Audible Range

B, In Day time they wouldn't see or hear it coming barely

If they hear bullets start to land all around them then ya they might DC, thats why this would be more inclined for High Population servers.

And I don't think it viable to assume everyone is going to shit themselves and DC when they see this hailstorm of raining fire bullets from the sky, those people are pussies.

Hello

If I were you I'd check out the Arma forums as long range sniping has been discussed to death and even tables have been drawn up.

Unfortuneately with DAYZ 1km rule, engagements over this range are going to be difficult.

Using a spotter system might work, but your guys would have to be very well trained and disciplined.

Perhaps with the addon of something like the built in artillery computer for spotters this could be achieved.

It does however seem like alot of work for something that could be achieved with a couple of decent snipers, or chaps with suppressed weapons.

Good out the box thinking though, keep it up.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok

Near-impossible. You could give it a go, but gathering the equipment would be an adventure in and of itself, full-auto firing would probably spread your target zone to an extremely huge area, the number of places that wouldn't have sufficient cover to prevent this tactic are staggeringly limited, and even if you did manage to get it in their general area they'd probably be running for cover very quickly.

That said, a bunch of those things popping off and bullets getting even reasonably close to the target will probably make them shit themselves if they don't know any better.

Get the shooting range mission by murcielago from armaholic and try this at 1400m. If you aren't firing a .50 cal round, your round is going to drop more and more and more and lose speed and do little to no damage. Don't expect to engage anyone at 1000m+ with anything that isn't a sniper rifle or a HMG.

The question I'd have is if bullets persist that long. If you're firing the bullets at a long enough distance, do they persist until they hit something?

For example if you had all those same guys firing bullets straight into the air, would they come down in the same general area or would something trigger them to despawn before they arrive at a target?

Unless the engine was specifically built to accomodate this idea, I doubt it would work. Even if you had a way of knowing exactly what angle you were shooting at, your mouse DPI wouldn't support the adjustments required to shoot that far. Further, we don't really know if damage is a function of velocity or distance (based on round/weapon type).

In short, I'd say this is pretty much impossible. Even if the rounds are velocity based, and properly effected by gravity, and you could get the proper angle, a long distance shot wouldn't have enough energy behind it to impart lethal damage (terminal velocity is not lethal); the person would just log off or run away.

Edited by Ancient

Wrong,

prone the M240/Mk 48 has Zero Horizontal recoil and an extremely low vertical recoil, its essentially recoilless in the prone firing position and is possible to reach the desired angle,

Will the bullet lose some velocity yes, will the bullet be legal at the target distance of say 3km, you bet, we aren't firing straight up, were firing at an angle to increase the trajectory.

US proves this every year with multiple headshot fatalities due to people shooting their guns in the air and stray bullets managing to find their way to a person, these are commonly even 9mm's, and they are lethal even at ranges over 1mile.

So your telling me a 7.62x51mm round which is an very high velocity round carrying alot more mass, and designed to fly alot farther, won't effectively make it to the target? (m240/mk48 has an effective range shorter then m14/Dmr but the bullets remain lethal far far far far further than this)

I expect if everything was done correctly and without the given windage, I would see a target zone of about 25-50m, and hitting it should be achievable accurately.

Edit:

I'm not sure myself if this is achievable, but you can't blame me for wanting to shoot a ton of tracer rounds in the air with a entire squad of LMG's and hope I can get them all to land near the same spot and create this amazing affect.

Edited by Neokolzia

You are talking about 2-3km distance. So that is a big no. Go to armaholic and download the shooting range mission (by murcielago) and TRY this. It has a projectile camera so that you can follow the round all the way. If you are talking about 1.5km--it is certainly possible but with very low damage per hit.

would be ace to just reign fire onto the fire station in elektro, scare all the dumbies in there :>

I am currently working on windage calculations in the Shooting range on moving targets.

Finding the time to travel of the bullet for each range, calculating the amount of lead needed for each stance (running, crouch running, sprinting) ...

It's hard.

Good luck with your idea thought, hope you manage to get it done.