Sign in to follow this  
Jonny5

ARMA 2 FOG UPDATE RUINED DAYZ???

It has always been there, but it has never been this close before.

Really? they changed the fog range? lol, i liked the dynamics of the fog like when it rains it gets really foggy, i wonder why they changed it.

i will have to check this when i get ingame again.

Edited by Zyfer

What fog? I have never noticed it.. Only during heavy rains. Turn off Post Processing or HDR i guess.

I love the fog, adds some challenge to the game...snipers will not be snipers anymore... lol

you obviously have never tried sniping in arma2 before. This doesn't even hurt the bad snipers, it really only affects the good ones.

I hate it, used to love being on a hill top or in a heli and seeing for a loooong ways, now no matter what it just looks drab the entire time, rain or shine...

Lame, anyone know if there are servers with the fog farther back? I thought something was wrong when I needed to be within 700-800m next to green mountain before i saw the radio tower.

It's more about balance. All players should be FORCED to see a maximum range that the server dictates.

Umm this is how it works. Your settings for view distance mean jack squat when in a multiplayer mission. The view distance is set in the actual mission file and is the same for every player in the server to make it fair.

I believe DayZ has it set to 1800 meters iirc.

Umm this is how it works. Your settings for view distance mean jack squat when in a multiplayer mission. The view distance is set in the actual mission file and is the same for every player in the server to make it fair.

I believe DayZ has it set to 1800 meters iirc.

It is like half of that. I set myself up in an open clearing and tested on several servers with waypoints enabled to i can see how far I could scope. fog starts around 500-600m and you cant see past 800-900 meters. Maybe it is 1000m, but the fog gradually gets thicker from where it starts so you really cant see anything halfway through it.

It is indeed 1800 meters normally, but there is a fog probability between 0 to 100% reducing visibility and a bad weather probability between 0 and 100% reducing it as well. Practically you will see around 500 to 700 meters. The weather is determined with every server restart, as well as it dynamically determines a direction to which the weather should be heading (more sun/more rain, more fog/less fog over time). I've only seen one game so far with a visibility of 1500 meters, so you could see Stary Sobor from the East hills of Novy Sobor and Guglovo.

The view distance determined in the server settings by Dayz acts as a maximum, so as long as your own view distance is higher than the server view distance you will render the server view distance. If you set your own view distance to 500 meter you would see even less, so I would advise to always keep it around 3 km which is more than enough for Dayz. If you play a normal Arma 2 multiplayer game, 5 km is mostly the limit and very few servers actually allow to see 10 km far, as you would need quite a decent computer to render this large distance with more than 25 fps. It's also mostly great for flying aircraft, from a vehicle or player perspective 5 km would be more than enough as you will probably look through the entire valley.

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

i thought it was an in game atmospheric condition...

I never really noticed until you brought it up...

I do remember seeing a lot more now, but I haven't used a sniper, nore' have I found one. I find binoculars take to much time to pull out as I move a lot with my "close range" weapons.

I've played only on one server since patch, but didn't see fog being too sick. I did have post-processing turned off though.

long story short, people don't feel safe unless they're over 1km from the target they're trying to kill, or if they can't see someone coming out of elektro from stary...

this stupid sniper sim isn't working right! I want my moneyz back!

• Like 1

Just took a screenshot of the NWAF:

Basically objects seem to stop rendering somewhere after 900 meters and all you can see is the ground. My render distance is at roughly 2000, post processing off, etc.

The marker is at 903m. There should be the series of four hangars 50m behind that marker. The zombie in the picture is somewhere between 700 and 800 meters.

ArmA2OA2012-07-2700-49-56-32.jpg

Edited by Rowrin

Being sniped from 15 miles away is fun.

Being sniped from 15 miles away is fun.

If you are standing still for the 2-3 seconds that it takes for a bullet to travel 1.5 km and somehow standing in plain sight. . . let alone 15 miles. . .

yep, can't snipe from 1200 meters anymore. the game is ruined and there's no reason to play anymore

War Z promised me 100,000 meter view distance. take that rocket man!

yep, can't snipe from 1200 meters anymore. the game is ruined and there's no reason to play anymore

War Z promised me 100,000 meter view distance. take that rocket man!

Would be interesting to see how your computer handles 100km of landscape in every direction. Good luck man....

Edited by Matze

Would be interesting to see how your computer handles 100km of landscape in every direction. Good luck man....

War Z uses the photoshop engine. it's way better optimized then Real Virtuality