Sign in to follow this  
ShadowPhileas

The Importance of Bandits

Hello Guys,

so here's the story:

Me and my buddies (in total we were 4 players) had some bad luck finding a good server, so we eventually went on one with only 5 other people on it. So we made our way through the map, found some nice gear, nothing to fancy though (AKM, G17, M1014, M1911, Winchester, stuff like that). Food and drinks weren't an issue due to hunting animals and water bottles. We were well armed enough, that we could go through Electro, killing every zombie, and have no problems at all.

So, after that (we've been playing for like 3hours) we realized that it got quite boring once you had the midd-game gear, since most midd-game weapons are 1-hit-kills for zombies and have large magazines.

Due to the low amount of other players its was almost impossible to find other players, and even more they would probably not be bandits cause of the low player count. Said so, zombies were the only threat, and even they weren't a challange anymore.

We logged off, and went on a full server, and half an hour later, two of us were killed by bandits, while the others were running for their life. And though me and my buddy died, it was more interesting and challanging and fun, than playing without bandits.

In Conclusion, without the threat of other players killing you the game becomes boring after 2 hours, since it gets just so easy to deal with the zombies. I personally think that Bandits play a huge part in the DayZ experience, since it really simulates the social interaction during an apocalypse.

So the next time you get sniped by bandits, remember: Even though it sucks ass that you just died, without the possiblity of it to happen, it would be boring.

What do you guys think about this?

• Like 1

You're half right. Zs are not much of a challenge and they should be the #1 challenge.

I agree, bandits add some much needed spice to the game. I wish not everyone was a bandit, but hey it's just a game so I can't complain. I think the zombies really need some buffs. Sure, they're hard to deal with when you first start playing DayZ, but after an hour or two of learning the mechanics, they're hardly a threat.

If you check my posts, they are all pretty pacifist. Yeah, I hate bandits and wish them gone. But I do this only as a part of a roleplay. Of course as my character I'd prefer not havin both zombies and bandits at all, live good long life, make my own farm etc... But as a DayZ player I totally agree, you're right. No bandits will lead all gamplay into zero interest. There's no light without the darkness. I will not ever myself choose a path of a bandit (except for a good ol' group firefight at an airfield). I don't like killing. And I think it's very easy to just find wepons and shoot without thinking everything that moves. Zombie? Survivor? Boar? Blah! Whatever. BAM!!! It's borin too ;) I'd rather help out someone and bring good to this apocalypse.

P.s. Yeah, bandits do the dirty job in DayZ, they're part of the balance. I don't like dirty job :D

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail

Totally agree, and some of us forum goers have been saying this for months now. People screaming for the removal of PVP or PVE servers are just short sighted morons. As you said, remove the possiblity of PVP and the game would get boring fast. What would be the point of raiding the NWA for highend gear when a simple winchester or revolver is more then enough to take down infected? People would get bored without something to do beyond killing infected and farming loot without the risk of PVP or people raiding your tents.

I'm fairly new to DayZ, been killed three times by players. Every time I had no intention of shooting them they just took advantage of it. Now I feel like killing on sight if they have a weapon. The PvP element certainly keeps me on my toes. I've never killed a player nor had any intention to do so (yet) but the fact that I could get sniped or being watched is an important part to the game in my opinion. At first pvp was of no interest to me, zombies were the main concern. The more gear you get the more of a problem bandits become. I think that when you get mid-game or whatever zombies should still be the main/strongest enemy of any survivor. I've not had a decent enough weapon or squad yet to say zombies are a walk in the park, I still prone everywhere xD I could certainly imagine that it would be boring without the fear of bandits killing you. Even though player interaction is a big part to the game, I think it's too exaggerated with bandits and all. In a zombie apocalypse zombies should be the main concern every single time.

You're half right. Zs are not much of a challenge and they should be the #1 challenge.

Yeah, i thought that too. I would love to see headshot-zombies only, and maybe add something like shooting of their arms and legs to make them less of a threat. Of course, we wont see stuff like that in the DdaZ alpha, but we can hope. i think that this would give the zombies more balance in the midd- to late-game