Sign in to follow this  
orbital

3rd person view and other aid’s? discussion .

Share your opinion on the different aid’s to the gameplay.

3rd person:

I primarily use 1st person because aiming and maneuvering is more accurate. But for night ops, chillin around camp fire or tight movement among many Zed’s, 3rd person is invaluable!

Personally I do enjoy having the feature enabled, it is nice to have on certain occasions.

Crosshair:

Is nice when going through loot on the ground and in 3rd person but meh’ I can live without it.

Playernames:

Discussed in other threads but in short, complete removal of player identification is unacceptable to me.

In other words;

I love the realism simulation ARMA platform provides, however mods/servers that removes ALL options of visual aid have a very short lifespan for me (read interest). Even though It might be a simulation, it is still a computer game on a monitor, that can not deliver anywhere near a real life environment, and senses human have to their surroundings.

It’s difficult weighing between a entertaining gaming experience and a hardcore simulator.

Third person on though, you can use it to look around corners and generally see places you wouldn't normally, making it detrimental to PvP.

Spacebar "scanning" is something that changing difficulty to expert on the server should remove, as I have on my servers but it doesn't seem to have, however implementing something like tags that show up when you aim at people shouldn't be hard.

Crosshairs are a bit immersion breaking to me.

Personally, I only play on servers that have third person enabled, just because I enjoy being able to see my character do things, and also, the game feels more solid. In my opinion the first person perspective in ARMA II is one of the worst I've ever played. It's choppy, hard to see, and makes me feel like I'm lagging when I'm not. Ontop of that its easy to forget if your crouching or standing up right. I suppose I could go without the crossairs, but I love being able to use third person.

We have to remember that although it's a simulation it's also a game, and that in real life we have senses at work, that we don't in a video game. Essentially we are only using sight and sound when playing a video game, but in real life you can feel a difference in the air when someone is sneaking up on you, or when their around the corner. Personally I feel the third person aspect adds even more realism to the game. You can see your character gutting an animal, building a fire, bandaging himself, and helping a teammate.

The third person aspect makes me feel like I'm playing a zombie game, and not a zombie mod for ARMA II. I think that right now, the way its set up, is perfect; some servers have third person and crossairs enabled, some do not. I don't think the mod should limit itself to just first person or vice versa, because how it is now, people can play however they want, and its fair for everyone since it is server decided. As long as everyone has the option, I'm sure everyone will be happy, so I don't see the devs ever taking it out.

On EU servers 3rd person is disabled, beeing a Eu'er my self I often choose a US server just to get the 3rd person option.

Seems like we agree on the subject Ghost_Kage.

I like at least having third person, though I can play with 'em all off.

I don't like 3rd person and play only on servers with forced 1st person. Crosshair? Absolutely not. And I also don't want player tags. If I want to know who somebody is, I actually have to talk to them/go up to them adding more tension to player interaction.

Maybe an option to go up to someone and exchange names through the menu to reveal tags during your life would be a good idea though since character models look the same. That would simulate sight recognition since you have "met" the player by exchanging names. After you die though, you have to take the same risks and meet people face-to-face again to get their tags revealed.

Personally' date=' I only play on servers that have third person enabled, just because I enjoy being able to see my character do things, and also, the game feels more solid. In my opinion the first person perspective in ARMA II is one of the worst I've ever played. It's choppy, hard to see, and makes me feel like I'm lagging when I'm not. Ontop of that its easy to forget if your crouching or standing up right. I suppose I could go without the crossairs, but I love being able to use third person.

We have to remember that although it's a simulation it's also a game, and that in real life we have senses at work, that we don't in a video game. Essentially we are only using sight and sound when playing a video game, but in real life you can feel a difference in the air when someone is sneaking up on you, or when their around the corner. Personally I feel the third person aspect adds even more realism to the game. You can see your character gutting an animal, building a fire, bandaging himself, and helping a teammate.

The third person aspect makes me feel like I'm playing a zombie game, and not a zombie mod for ARMA II. I think that right now, the way its set up, is perfect; some servers have third person and crossairs enabled, some do not. I don't think the mod should limit itself to just first person or vice versa, because how it is now, people can play however they want, and its fair for everyone since it is server decided. As long as everyone has the option, I'm sure everyone will be happy, so I don't see the devs ever taking it out.

[/quote']

This - the fluidity of the first person gunplay is really lacking in ArmA 2 which causes all kinds of problems with trying to shoot on the move which you have to do because of the Zombie speed.

Personally' date=' I only play on servers that have third person enabled, just because I enjoy being able to see my character do things, and also, the game feels more solid. In my opinion the first person perspective in ARMA II is one of the worst I've ever played. It's choppy, hard to see, and makes me feel like I'm lagging when I'm not. Ontop of that its easy to forget if your crouching or standing up right. I suppose I could go without the crossairs, but I love being able to use third person.

[/quote']

This - the fluidity of the first person gunplay is really lacking in ArmA 2 which causes all kinds of problems with trying to shoot on the move which you have to do because of the Zombie speed.

+2

I play 3rd person and only go ironsights when trying to do precision aiming, if the mod ever goes full 1st person only I will be mad as fuck.

The 1st person is clunky and shitty overall in comparison.

All of these complaints are simply how arma is supposed to be. you can't shoot on the move, you have to stop, take aim and kill the target. Keep practicing and you'll get better at it. But dont plan on dumbing it down for beginner players.

Atm there is no shaking in 3rd person view when u are in need of painkillers.

I've said it several times but;

3rd person mode has no place in PvP, it will be abused. Try the 1st person, get used to the clunkiness and enjoy the immersion.

All of these complaints are simply how arma is supposed to be. you can't shoot on the move' date=' you have to stop, take aim and kill the target. Keep practicing and you'll get better at it. But dont plan on dumbing it down for beginner players.

[/quote']

So you're saying arma is supposed to be bad and clunky?

All of these complaints are simply how arma is supposed to be. you can't shoot on the move' date=' you have to stop, take aim and kill the target. Keep practicing and you'll get better at it. But dont plan on dumbing it down for beginner players.

[/quote']

So you're saying arma is supposed to be bad and clunky?

lol ^ QFT

And to the people saying 3rd person is horrible for PVP I've personally never had one instance where 3rd person won me a PVP or I thought someone else used it to get a 1 up on me. It's a pretty miniscule issue. And I've played 80 some odd hours so far.

It has been clunky like that since OFP.

A big part of it is to simulate real life, because unlike most games today, you aren't just a floating camera and gun.

The other part of it is that the engine is just clunky feeling because that's what they had to sacrifice in order to make such a great milsim. Anyone who has played a lot of Arma/OFP has learned to love it, as the clunkiness is still a lot closer to real life than other games have achieved.

The problem is that some movements are VERY swift fluid and dynamic and others are just god awful.

-Head turning is very crisp and precise.

-Leaning is damn near instantaneous.

-Moving forward and back/strafing is almost delayed, like a lag or a small amount of early unresponsiveness.

So you have some great feeling moves combined with some poorly designed/implemented ones that together cause the feel of a game without tight controls.

I really don't care what people prefer as long as 1st person is never forced on a mod level and servers are given the choice to enable or disable 3rd person.

Let the playerbase/servers decide what they like.

It has been clunky like that since OFP.

A big part of it is to simulate real life' date=' because unlike most games today, you aren't just a floating camera and gun.

The other part of it is that the engine is just clunky feeling because that's what they had to sacrifice in order to make such a great milsim. Anyone who has played a lot of Arma/OFP has learned to love it, as the clunkiness is still a lot closer to real life than other games have achieved.

[/quote']

simulating "real life" doesn't always transition into good gameplay.

simulating "real life" doesn't always transition into good gameplay.

It's a military simulator.

And this is a zombie mod

Right, but it's built on a simulator's engine. Unlike most games, the player in this is basically a character model that you have full control over with a camera stuck on it. Everything you see in first or third person is actually there and happening. I suppose the mod devs can do a truckload of work on new animations and such to make it play somewhat more like the mainstream shooters out there, but many of us like the charm of the milsim engine as it is. Plus, that would mean the mod (I don't like calling it that, but oh well) would have to be made into much more than just a simple mission.

One thing that could make first-person a lot more tolerable for people would be to turn down, or off, the 'head-bobbing' option. It's not all that realistic anyway to have that much head-bobbing, and same goes for the motion blur when looking around. Another thing you can do is turn down the "free-aim" setting.

I'm not a huge fan of 1st person view either and will only use it when taking aim or for a better view indoors. Also as im not playing on the greatest computer in the world does seem to have more of an effect when playing in 1st person, to me it feels really clunky and laggy like its taking a hit to my fps, but when i switch to 3rd person its fine.

As long as we have the option to choose our own preference i think most of us will be happy.

Atm there is no shaking in 3rd person view when u are in need of painkillers.

I've said it several times but;

3rd person mode has no place in PvP' date=' it will be abused. Try the 1st person, get used to the clunkiness and enjoy the immersion.

[/quote']

I'm not sure how this can be an advantage when everybody has the option, it's not like anyone suffers from it¿

---

I agree to the points made about 1st person and it DOES give a great feel to the experience. This is however not only a First Person Shooter Mod with some competitive plot, it is (or atleast invites to be) much more than that.

The MOD draws me into the woods, spending hours exploring, getting a new perspective to ARMA's incredible landscapes. Now that the option to switch betwene the two available view is in the game engine, it's a shame if I can't use them.

Honestly, If I want to play a ARMA FPS battle, this MOD will not be my choice.

Im going to use 3rd person until I get head-tracking working.

I use TrackIR 5 which is simply amazing navigating amongst zombies! Yes, it works best in 1st Person mode :)