Ms.Rose

Day Z etiquette

Hey everyone, I'm new to Day Z. I've been really enjoying the game, but have a few questions specifically about how to react when you see another player. My instinct tells me to kill whoever I see, provided they are carrying a weapon. This is mainly because, by taking the time to ask "friendly", I've given them the upper hand to kill my character. I was wondering though, if this type of behavoir is frowned upon? Am I not likely to come across people who will shoot me and therefore don't need the hyper-precaution? Also, are there some golden rules within the community to live by?

• Like 2

Way I do it is:

Avoid them if they haven't seen me,

Non aggressive if they have seen me

Shoot them if they aim at me for too long

Works out alright, ya know.,

• Like 1

No there are no rules. And most of the players shoot on sight. Some players still take the risk to see if someone is friendly though. Best way is to cover behind a wall or so and use ingame voice (capslock) to try to find out if he's friendly or not. If he does not responds and is maybe aiming at me I'll shoot him but I try not to if possible.

Also leaning (pressing Q and E repeated is a sign of a friendly player.. of course you don't know if you can trust them....)

• Like 1

I generally shoot whoever I see if they are up north and I'm running solo. Giving people a chance usually turns out poorly. In the south if I have just started I team up with people sometimes.

Me and the guys have picked up some strays along the way if there are a group of us. Gives us the security of being able to ask if they are friendly and if not they dont usually give a group of 4 to 10 any trouble.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this mentality. For a bit I thought perhaps I was just being a twat.

Do what it takes to survive, no matter what. Don't trust others. It'll hurt you in the end.

Take calculated risks. Learn from your mistakes.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I'm new to Day Z. I've been really enjoying the game, but have a few questions specifically about how to react when you see another player. My instinct tells me to kill whoever I see, provided they are carrying a weapon. This is mainly because, by taking the time to ask "friendly", I've given them the upper hand to kill my character. I was wondering though, if this type of behavoir is frowned upon? Am I not likely to come across people who will shoot me and therefore don't need the hyper-precaution? Also, are there some golden rules within the community to live by?

Welcome to Dayz. I'm fairly new as well. You are only contributing to the paranoid player that seems to be growing in this game. That is fine. It is hard to trust players in this game. However, the way I see it, there is a likely chance you will die later on anyway in a firefight. I think the benefit of risking your life in game to potentially meet someone cool is worth it. Heck, I've only really met 2 people I've continued to play with in this game. But by not being violent...I have met maybe 10+ people who I spoke to for 2 minutes and we carried on. Honestly, the maps are huge. You really have to be careless to run into people in this game in the woods. Sometimes I think people SEEK conflict in this game. I only expect to kill or be killed in the city. Perhaps you should change how you travel. Or you could just risk it. I like the risk. I don't like loosing my gear but it teaches me to not hold onto things that aren't important. Pixels < Sanity :) Hope this helps.

Edited by The_Man
  • Like 1

Welcome to Dayz. I'm fairly new as well. You are only contributing to the paranoid player that seems to be growing in this game. That is fine. It is hard to trust players in this game. However, the way I see it, there is a likely chance you will die later on anyway in a firefight. I think the benefit of risking your life in game to potentially meet someone cool is worth it. Heck, I've only really met 2 people I've continued to play with in this game. But by not being violent...I have met maybe 10+ people who I spoke to for 2 minutes and we carried on. Honestly, the maps are huge. You really have to be careless to run into people in this game in the woods. Sometimes I think people SEEK conflict in this game. I only expect to kill or be killed in the city. Perhaps you should change how you travel. Or you could just risk it. I like the risk. I don't like loosing my gear but it teaches me to not hold onto things that aren't important. Pixels < Sanity :) Hope this helps.

Thanks for the very thoughtful response. I'm not quite sure if its paranoia exactly. How the game functions dictates the actions of the players. Precaution seems like a reasonable response. If you're able to make friends in such a hostile enviroment, that just makes a friendship that much more kickass, imo.

you should only ask if someone is friendly and let him live, when he clearly poses no threat, if he´s recently spawned or if lets say for example, you´r overwatch has him in his crosshairs

My advice is don't run around with a gun people will shoot you if they see a gun. I ran past 2 guys and they didn't notice me until I was completely behind them and I didn't notice them either. They started shooting at me for no reason. I think it was because I had a gun (with no ammo). So I had to yell "Stop shooting at me a-holes I don't have anything!" they eventually stopped of course. When you see someone and if they haven't spotted you, hide and ask if they are friendly or not, or you know keep hiding that's what I did. Guy with a hatchet ran past me and didn't notice me. I could have killed him, but he only had a hatchet what was the point and I'm not a complete douche. Morale? Don't be too trusting, play it safe and hide first then take action. If all goes well you will get out of the encounter alive and maybe more loot lol.

The etiquette is "do what you want to do". Play the game your way, play it the way you enjoy it.

Just be ready to get judged alot.

• Like 2

Unfortunately 90% of the people you're going to come across in-game will shoot you just to see if there's anything you have that they want/need. Avoid other players when possible but if it comes to a showdown play smart, don't run right at them XD

Thanks for the very thoughtful response. I'm not quite sure if its paranoia exactly. How the game functions dictates the actions of the players. Precaution seems like a reasonable response. If you're able to make friends in such a hostile enviroment, that just makes a friendship that much more kickass, imo.

You are right. Paranoia has negative connotations and I should have used better diction. I think maybe if they increased the distance of chat then it might be better? It is hard to say you are friendly when both people have rifles...I agree about the 2nd thing. Problem is...I've only made friends with people who didn't have long range weapons.

How the game functions dictates the actions of the players.

Depends on how geared up you are, and how many buddies are playing with ya. When we run into Electro fully armed 10-15-20+, Zombies, food, water, is an afterthought. We now dictate the action of other players.. Thats what I love about this game, every time I play, I could write a short story.

There is like 5% "etiquette" in this game. The rest is just a bunch of run and gun kids that kill people for no reason.

I cant wait(and by that i mean i HOPE) he adds some objectives to this mission that require teamwork. Fix the powerplant, start a "store", something, ANYTHING.

• Like 1

Am I not likely to come across people who will shoot me and therefore don't need the hyper-precaution? Also, are there some golden rules within the community to live by?

Don't point your gun at people, especially your friends. Misfires can happen and friendly fire is always on.

Always stop the bleeding first then administer further aid.

Any stranger you meet in game will likely just try to kill you. It's fun to throw smokes and flares at unaware survivors! :D

Find some good folks to game with and your overall game-play experience will improve, though lone wolf style is fun too.

If you're ever need medical aid, fill out a quick RMA form and help will be on the way!

Most of the time I try to play with strangers and trust them, even if nine times out of ten I get shot sooner or later.

I play this way because :

- I don't give a shit about my gear. Really.

- I know I'll eventually meet great people to play with later. Not-so-great people too...

- Meeting people and teaming up with them is the most interesting thing to do in this game. Shooting on sight is just sterile and boring. An example.

For me the unique thing about DayZ is that everyone can define his own set of rules, and stick to them or not.

Etiquette? In Dayz?

This is a apocalypse. Plz.

AN* You can shoot people on sight, loot corpses, herd zombies into the ocean but please! Do not forget your grammar!

Hello there

Etiquette seems to have gone out of the window recently.

My advice is to avoid strangers and don't kill unless you are threatened.

Hopefully mechanics will be added to curb the KOS culture that's risen up.

Rgds

LoK

I for one avoid shooting other survivors at all costs. I have run from them, hide from them, and generally stayed away from places I think other people might be. Even with all my efforts to avoid others I still die from people more often than I die from Zombies. It appears people are just out to kill other people without care or reason. It would be nice if they would at least engage me for a reason or even give me the opportunity to negotiate a surrender but no they just shoot and kill and then run around all willie nillie looking for the next victim.

To me this is really the only immersion breaking part of this game. I can over look the bugs and the game engine problems but getting killed mercilessly really bums me out. I mean I would even be up for getting robbed from time to time but the fact there is no reason for others to respect life in this game and so destroy it at any opportunity just makes me sad, sad what that says about those people.

I was lucky enough to run into a guy yesterday that I heard comming and so I yelled out on the in-game voice chat that I was friendly and non-aggressive. He yelled back and we negotiated our peaceful co-existance for the few minutes we were around each other and then once he got what he was there for and I had what I needed we parted ways. Sadly a few minutes later I heard a gun shot and saw he was killed. I stopped by the church on the way out of town and said a prayer for his soul.

I must be really lucky since most of the people I have meet have been friendly, willing to team up, or at the very least gone their way without giving me issues. There has been the occasional gun nut that I have die to, but none that I felt was being an ass about it. At least they had the courtesy to loot my body afterwards, I hoped.

Most of the time I try to play with strangers and trust them, even if nine times out of ten I get shot sooner or later.

I play this way because :

- I don't give a shit about my gear. Really.

- I know I'll eventually meet great people to play with later. Not-so-great people too...

- Meeting people and teaming up with them is the most interesting thing to do in this game. Shooting on sight is just sterile and boring. An example.

For me the unique thing about DayZ is that everyone can define his own set of rules, and stick to them or not.

Thats a good point. If you are not too afraid in dying, this is the most interesting way to play I think. I met a few cool people on DayZ servers this way, but I died a lot also.

If you are afraid in dying, just find players to play with in the forum, meet in TeamSpeak and shoot everyone else.

someone had a cool idea up there about group work....I've thought about this prior to ur post, a way to get players to cooperate would be a way to establish full radio communications, by linking up each city you encounter to a grid....but also a similar mechanism to enable to railway to traverse the whole map..