Jimmjim

Nerf the crawling & winchester

Please don't get me wrong, I love this mod and would love to support it all the way to its final release.

I feel that crawling is a little overpowered; you can crawl pass hundreds of zombies in flat, open, lit, area without getting caught. Even if you get caught, rolling away or crawling away WITHOUT STANDING UP looses the zombies most of the time. I understand the 'sneaking' aspect of the game but it should be made a little harder.

I also feel that the Winchester is overpowered (for a gun so easily found). 15 consecutive 1-shot-kill rounds without reloading? That's nice. It saved me in horde attacks several times but the challenge isn't there at all.

These are just my opinions. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Crawling, for me and I assume many other players, is an important stealth element due to the broken AI of ArmA. Zombies can see through walls, spot you on a very high roof and then proceed to chase you (Perhaps running through some walls and doors in the process). Crawling is therefore required and relied upon but it still keeps the tension because I know for a fact I can't do anything else or I'm screwed.

These zombies are fairly dim-witted and shouldn't respond to movement so easily and crawling through tall grass or moving slowly past them on the floor shouldn't stick them on alert.

The Winchester is something I may agree on, but again for the time I feel like it is suitable. I say this because of the pointed out issue that once a zombie starts to chase you the only way to stop them is with a bullet. Personally, despite going through cities I am very unlucky in terms of loot only turning up car parts, food and flares. Ammunition for me is scarce and so are weapons; leaving me with the Makrov with little stopping power bar the head (useful when zombies are darting from place to place).

We're all bound to alert a zombie, mostly by the current glitches present and once that happens, especially for myself and new players, we're screwed and that's game over for us. We can't escape, only shoot, and once you can't shoot anymore then you're out of options but to die.

Crawling' date=' for me and I assume many other players, is an important stealth element due to the broken AI of ArmA. Zombies can see through walls, spot you on a very high roof and then proceed to chase you (Perhaps running through some walls and doors in the process). Crawling is therefore required and relied upon but it still keeps the tension because I know for a fact I can't do anything else or I'm screwed.

These zombies are fairly dim-witted and shouldn't respond to movement so easily and crawling through tall grass or moving slowly past them on the floor shouldn't stick them on alert.

The Winchester is something I may agree on, but again for the time I feel like it is suitable. I say this because of the pointed out issue that once a zombie starts to chase you the only way to stop them is with a bullet. Personally, despite going through cities I am very unlucky in terms of loot only turning up car parts, food and flares. Ammunition for me is scarce and so are weapons; leaving me with the Makrov with little stopping power bar the head (useful when zombies are darting from place to place).

We're all bound to alert a zombie, mostly by the current glitches present and once that happens, especially for myself and new players, we're screwed and that's game over for us. We can't escape, only shoot, and once you can't shoot anymore then you're out of options but to die.

[/quote']

I find winchester a little too easy to find and I always end up with plenty of ammunitions to use. (one slot is 15 rounds and I've had up to 10x15 = 150 rounds one me)

As for the crawling, I don't mean to remove it but for it to be made a little less forgiving. You can even loose the horde by running away, turn a corner, and crawl....

For the run/shoot or die part. Simply walk into a house or an area with ceiling. Zombies will not run in it and u can simply shoot them without a challenge.

If you run out of ammo, I feel for you but that is just for not scavenging enough, IMHO.

I find winchester a little too easy to find and I always end up with plenty of ammunitions to use. (one slot is 15 rounds and I've had up to 10x15 = 150 rounds one me)

As for the crawling' date=' I don't mean to remove it but for it to be made a little less forgiving. You can even loose the horde by running away, turn a corner, and crawl....

For the run/shoot or die part. Simply walk into a house or an area with ceiling. Zombies will not run in it and u can simply shoot them without a challenge.

If you run out of ammo, I feel for you but that is just for not scavenging enough, IMHO.

[/quote']

I scavenge a lot, I recently made a post detailing how I searched for literally two hours through a city area and found nothing but food, chemlights, flares and car parts.

That crawling mechanic sounds OKAY. I mean maybe tinker with it a bit but dim-witted drones chasing you as you dart around a corner and hide in the brush seems like an effective method of escape and currently the only one in the mod past possible forced-walking you mentioned. However what happens if I'm caught out in the country?

Again, I may agree on the Winchester but I'd rather have the zombie AI reworked first and then we can determine properly what is overpowered and what is not.

What are you talking about? Zombies not only come into buildings, they completely ignore doors and sometimes even walls.

I think all the Winchester needs is a sound increase, i haven't heard a shotgun that quiet before.

What are you talking about? Zombies not only come into buildings' date=' they completely ignore doors and sometimes even walls.

[/quote']

Try it. Zombies will RUN after you outside but it will WALK after you inside. *wink*

What are you talking about? Zombies not only come into buildings' date=' they completely ignore doors and sometimes even walls.

[/quote']

Try it. Zombies will RUN after you outside but it will WALK after you inside. *wink*

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that zombies would not physically enter the building. My mistake.

I barely use crawling hahaha, why do people crawl anyway? Except for hiding and camping in bushes...

I barely use crawling hahaha' date=' why do people crawl anyway? Except for hiding and camping in bushes...

[/quote']

You know the people whose bodies you loot all your food and meds from? They have to crawl places to get it. It's easy to forget that when you play easymode.

Just givin' ya shit, buddy. You're certainly not going to get any in-game.

I barely use crawling hahaha' date=' why do people crawl anyway? Except for hiding and camping in bushes...

[/quote']

If you crawl, going through a city is a candy. (unless you find bandits.)

The point I was trying to make is that crawling makes the sneaking too easy.

[/quote']

If you crawl, going through a city is a candy. (unless you find bandits.)

The point I was trying to make is that crawling makes the sneaking too easy.

I think the point is it's a case of making sneaking possible, or impossible. There isn't really any other way around it, due to the way zombie AI works. Plus crawling is slowwwwwwwwwwwwww and also makes you an easy target. And it's not perfect, if you get too close to a zombie they still agro, even if you aren't moving at all.

Winchester needs to be nerfed in some way, but the 15 rounds is legitimate. Also it's not actually a shotgun, they are just using the shotgun shells as the image for the ammunition. It's actually a lever action rifle, and takes a .44-40 round I believe. They should probably remove Winchester 1866 pellets entirely.

The best way to nerf it though would be to slow the reload time down to 7-10 seconds as you reload each round, and since the ammo is basically a magnum pistol round, it should be fairly inaccurate at distance. Which it kind of already is I guess.

Heh, ive been hoarding winchester ammo in the hopes of finding one on my latest character, but after going through at least 10 barns and open buildings i still havent found one... i found a lee-enfield, 3 CZ550's and 4-5 crossbows, but not a single winchester :/

but i honestly believe the winchester is just a placeholder for some sort of civilian shotgun (for now there is only the M1014 and the saiga in the game, hardly civilian in most cases), and when they get it implemented, it will most likely be a regular 5,6 or 8 shot pump-action if you ask me.

Although, i would have loved a 2-barreled breech loader :D