saXoni

New computer

Hey guys. This might be in the wrong section of the forum, but it was the closes section I found regarding help and tips.

I need a new computer. One that can run Arma II flawless without any issues. My budget goes up to around £1200/ $1800, so I should be able to get myself a decent computer. If you don't know exactly what I need you can also just recommend me for example a CPU or graphics card.

Thank you,

saX.

If this post is in the completely wrong section I apologize - feel free to move/delete it.

• Like 1

Case: Antec - Sonata III Silent ATX-case (500W)

CD/DVD slot: Asus - DRW-24B5ST

Processor: Intel - Ivy Bridge i5-3570K (3.4GHz)

RAM: Kingston - 2x 4GB (DDR3, 1333MHz)

Motherboard: Asus - Intel Z77 (ATX)

HDD: 1TB Caviar Green (3.5")

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX670

This is what I have, it cost 1029 € (1259 USD) without Value Added Tax.

It runs ARMA 2 / DayZ on the highest possible settings with a smooth 50 FPS, from what I could tell. It's an estimation, though, I haven't checked with an actual program.

Edited by Dr621

Thank you Dr621, I'll see if I can find anything similar to that rig.

"I need a new computer. One that can run Arma II flawless without any issues." not gonna happen... :) But it won't be your computer causing the issue if you get something like Dr621 suggest.

What Dr621 suggested is pretty legit, thought I would add: ARMA/DayZ would love you if you went for a SSD for your primary harddisk.

And I myself would also always pick a AMD graphics card over Nvidia...Nvidia too high price, for little added benefit (Not trying to start the usual fanboy flame war, this is just my own personal opinion).

A AMD 7850 or 7870 would also be good options, if you run too high in price, but a 670 is currently probably the "best" card you can buy.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!! DO NOT buy a cheap motherboard and/or power supply! This is basicly the "heart" of your machine, if you skimp out here, you will pay for it later on. At the very least, get something midrange. I would say 100£-200£, should be earmarked for a good motherboard (do be careful tho, there are super crazy 300£+ motherboards, this is not what you want either ;) )

+ make sure you get a decent fan for your CPU, nothing worse than a sub-par fan going crazy 24/7.

my 2€cents.

Edited by Tweakie

Ive spent £700 and im running it fine price includes everythink so actualy around 350

Intel celeron duel core 2.4ghz 1155

GTX 550 ti Asus edition

Corsair 8gb ddr 3 ram

gigabyte motherboard socket 1155

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can come up with. Just keep it coming if anyone else has something they'd like to say!

Nothing really specific just some generalizations. You have a good budget so you really shouldn't have any problems getting a good rig. It's most likely that a stand alone will run off of the ArmA 3 engine so shoot for that.

Intel CPU: ArmA is very CPU dependent so keep that in mind.

Video Card: I prefer NVIDIA as I have had less problems with them over the years. Just make sure whatever you get that it has over 2gig. ArmA 2 on mine takes up around 1.6gig so that will be important to keep in mind for ArmA 3.

RAM: Next gen engines are coming out next year so they will probably make use of even more. 8gig+.

Motherboard: Depends on if you like overclocking or not.

Power Supply: Next to the CPU it's the most important so don't skimp out on it. I'd say one that's at least 400-500 watts over what your components require and that it is built solid.

Case: One with lots of fans, bigger the better.

Cooling: I have a Corsair water cooler for my CPU that does a fine job. Don't have a GPU after market as I already have plenty of air flow.

Edited by SIMJEDI