Sign in to follow this  
andrew99

What if everyone started with a tent?

Then everybody gets his tent at 10 zomie kills or just increase its spawn rate.. Too many tents really aren't a threat.

A threat? I didn't say they were a threat but they're rare. So they should be coveted and found rather than just given to a player, I especially dislike the idea of just being granted an item on kills. Or even on time survived.

As I've said before, I think they've been wiped for now so I don't see the point anyway...

...And then there is the simple little note: Tents are not really a safe place to store your stuff.

Anyways... The tents are NOT safe. I do not generally put my best gear into the tents, because I cannot be watching them 24h a day. Unless you really go into the middle of nowhere to pitch the tent, the stuff from the tents is more likely to get taken than the stuff on you. And if you go pitch it in the middle of no-where, then it isn't really gonna help you gear up any sooner compared to just looting some coastal city. Its faster to run into a city and collect similar loot from there than to run into the middle of nowhere and empty your tent to get that loot. (After which your tent would be empty and you would be back to square one)

If you think that your current gear would be somehow much better had you had a tent in the beginning, I doubt that a bit. Perhaps it might be. or perhaps not. Frankly, I don't think my gear would be much better right now.

(I've collected stuff to 4 tents scattered around the map, but I haven't had any need to use pretty much any of that stuff... And other people have just looted lot of that stuff already. So in reality, the tents have been of no use for me really. Just some storages for some silly hoarding.)

I'd rush down before they kill the zombies so they cannot hear me, then go Clint Eastwood on them because I know I

don't risk facing the fact that I threw my whole weekend's gametime away. Maybe I kill them and I get a lot of very

good items.

Naturally if you really intend to carelessly just run into a city, guns blazing and all that, then the stuff might be safer in the tents than on you. But then that begs the question that is this game really supposed to be some kind of deathmatch where everyone can just run to the city thinking that "it does not matter if I die, I'm carrying nothing of value". If anything, that would just make the game even worse. The PvP deathmatch and "I don't care about my survival" is already going rampart enough as-is. We don't need people to start feeling that there is even less value to their survival.

I guess that would make the game shootouts more "fun", at least from a casual shooter player perspective.. But that has never really been the point why this game is so unique and appealing. There are plenty of casual shooters out there... Ones with much better controls, much less bugs, etc, etc.

What has made this game so interesting and unique has been exactly that feeling of permanent death. That on every encounter, or every careless move, you could be done for, and it is game over, everything lost. All those hours of playing lost in a blink of an eye. That and the uncertainty of other players intentions is what makes every encounter so meaningful. That's what makes you truly fear every player you see. That's what makes you feel remorse and bad for the other guy when you do your first murder in the game. etc.

Any modification to alleviate that feeling, by giving any safe storage for your acquired loot, would not make the game more interesting. It would make the game more like every other generic shooter game out there. And I don't see why we would need one more of those games.

And I do understand that this is not some black and white thing, the game either being a casual shooter or hardcore survival. Its always going to be somewhere in between the absolute extremes. Definitely on the hardcore side though. A balance between extreme feelings and still having some fun.

So the tents on spawn would not be an unthinkable thing, but I think the game is better without them. And if there were tents on spawn, the spawning tent logic would simply have to be different from current one to prevent the excess fill-up of the maps with the tents (as already explained on earlier replies).

Don't you understand that if a player

dies who was in a group before loses nothing, and the one who was alone and without any tents loses everything???

Big contrast...

I understand the point, that for example, groups of bandits already have a safety-net, their buddies.. Who can pick up the guns from their friend's dead body and give them back to the guy after he respawns. Which pretty much de-values their death, as nothing of real value was lost. Solo players don't have similar safety net, unless they have found a tent. That is one of the extreme benefits of clan play. I know its not fair that death has a significant meaning for some, while not for others.

But this is an issue that should rather be solved so that even the groups of bandits would have to value their survival - not by doing the opposite of giving everyone an automated safety net that de-values the impact of death for them too.

This game should thrive to provide what gave it the hype in the first place. Extreme survival. Paranoid encounters with other people who's intentions you cannot know for sure. Not the deathmatch where death does not even matter.

mrducky, you're speaking sense, but you lack the imagination and creativity to correctly relive a situation in a "make-belive" DayZ environment, just like the rest. You don't know how much more this game could be.

just increase tents spawn. The day you find a tent you become less frustated by pkers that have ruined this game.

I get what you are trying to say, although you don't understand the significancy of making the higher level

gameplay more achievable, enjoyable and rewarding.

More achievable:

It would help players at the earlier stages of their life, by providing safe spot to hide their most hardly earned

belongings. - Think about it, wouldn't you hide your precious stuff under the ground or in a bush if it was a

zombie apocalype - dayzlike - and you could easily be spotted and robbed when entering a town? - After a play dies

(because it happens always), he'll have a bit easier job of getting along. - Don't you understand that if a player

dies who was in a group before loses nothing, and the one who was alone and without any tents loses everything???

Big contrast...

More enjoyable:

For instance, imagine you are looting Elektro, you're in the tower of the fire-station, to the most northern part

of the city. You know you have a ton of hours' hard work on you, gps, nigh vision, stc. Although you're only armed

with a revolver now because you just found a sniper at the ground floor, your old AKM is still there. Suddenly, you

hear shots, 3-4, you look down through the window you see 3 guys entering the building with a bunch of zombies on

them.

What would you do?

The majority of people presumably would log out right there. Some would shit themselves instantly and camp on the

highest floor until he is found - or maybe not. And a few sucidals would maybe try to take them down.

Now imagine you have all your valueable stuff in a tent, but you have your ALICE bag full of food and carbine mags

which are compatible with the best guns you have at "home".

What would you do?

I'd rush down before they kill the zombies so they cannot hear me, then go Clint Eastwood on them because I know I

don't risk facing the fact that I threw my whole weekend's gametime away. Maybe I kill them and I get a lot of very

good items.

And more rewarding:

This way you actually get to keep your important items along "The Road" of your shatterable life, the rewards of

the hunting and looting for which you have suffered so much.

And what are the cons?

Really not much. It's not like giving Mario extra healths...

What mrducky said sounds like a good idea too:

Giving away free tents is no achievement nor would it give any sense of reward, if every player were to have it then the tent wouldn't be so valuable anymore. It wouldn't do much to help players at the start because they wouldn't have anything to store in it either, the tent only becomes something useful once you've worked up and scavenged for proper gear and decide to stock up. Giving players a free tent would be like, giving everyone a free rifle at the beginning and yeah, the lonewolfer does lose everything while the teamplayer doesn't because that is as mrducky said, the advantage to teamplay. So I don't see what the big problem is.

The way it is right now, works just fine. All I see if this were to happen is tent spam, tent blockades, tent cities and more banditry and murders.

Now imagine you have all your valueable stuff in a tent, but you have your ALICE bag full of food and carbine mags

What would you do?

good items.

Now, that right there is why we don't want free stuff. Carelessness. What you're saying right there is that you would not value your death if you did get shot in the face by that bandit or whatever and starting right there, think, what stops everyone from doing the more of the same careless things if they have virtually nothing to lose when it's all safe in a tent they didn't have to work for?

Right now, people with tents or important items value their lives because most of them know they risk losing something they worked hard for and getting killed would mean having to work their ass off again, which means they are more careful and don't run around carelessly knowing they still have things they can get back to.

And more rewarding:

This way you actually get to keep your important items along "The Road" of your shatterable life, the rewards of

the hunting and looting for which you have suffered so much.

Items which you wouldn't lose of you weren't so careless in the first place, if this is what you want, then you might as well ask rocket to give you back all the stuff you had in your bag upon respawn.

This idea is flawed. You need to think more of how this would affect gameplay positively and negatively and not just the benefit of the player since the beginning. The game/mod wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is right now if everyone were to be running around with free things. The stuff we get to spawn with on the shore is just enough for what we essentially need to begin our lives and loot, now we actually need those while we don't with tents. It's not something people need in order to survive, it's basically something players want to expand their capabilities in their lives.

mrducky's idea is alright, but it's still pretty much the same thing.... free tents.

Maybe just increase tent spawn rate and allow people to destroy other people's tents. More tent usage, less tent cities

• Like 1

Rather no. Most new players dont have anything to stash in their tents. Tents would become kinda spammable and ruin the landscape.

Btw you can destroy other people tents, ever used a grenade? or vehicles? Works fine.

Edited by DestinyAscension

Im not against it or anything. But im all for realism. All i can say is right now a zombie walks into the room and bites you.......were you just typing on the computer holding a tent? When i go to work i dont strap a tent to my back. For realism's sake i say no. Other than that why not i guess.

The player must be happy with everything he can get. Thats why starting with nothing gives the game more fun in surviving. Of course some new die fast, but playing again makes a game a good game. And if some say "this game is stupid" is this perfect because they are probably not old enough to play the game at all. The only thing I would start with, except with nothing, is maybe a watch. Some can suggest you start with a random item, but starting with nothing gives the game the best "i can survive feeling".

But maybe andrew99 is lucky and dayz allows server provider to create the starting items manually.

Please, those who come here and instantly write their ideas, read the posts that were made before. Most of your concerns like "tent spam" and "flawed reality" have been put into spotlight.

You exaggerate a lot of stuffs. When I said this,

More enjoyable:

For instance, imagine you are looting Elektro, you're in the tower of the fire-station, to the most northern part

of the city. You know you have a ton of hours' hard work on you, gps, nigh vision, stc. Although you're only armed

with a revolver now because you just found a sniper at the ground floor, your old AKM is still there. Suddenly, you

hear shots, 3-4, you look down through the window you see 3 guys entering the building with a bunch of zombies on

them.

What would you do?

The majority of people presumably would log out right there. Some would shit themselves instantly and camp on the

highest floor until he is found - or maybe not. And a few sucidals would maybe try to take them down.

What would you do?

good items.

just because I choose to act a bit more aggressively, rather then LOGGING OUT OF THE GAME - which totally screws the realism, doesn't mean at all that death is not a big deal for me, or the game becomes a deathmatch...

I still don't get those who think that this game is quite realistic and more realism would make it even better. What would helicopter engines and brand new windshields do in barns? How come you haven't been eaten on the coast while you were daydreaming? Why doesn't a fella die when I put 5 bullets (makarov) in his head? And just the fighting mechanisms, too simple to be realistic. But I already said this:

People just don't get that in real, surviving means survivng at all costs, having fun is out of the question. In a survival game, you have to have fun, and in order to do it you must stay alive. So, a survival game can't be that realistic because it ruins the fun. Although this game, as I said, is far from being realistic. And the funny thing is, that some realism, concerning some elements, actually would make the game easier (drinking from a lake without a bottle, going down a ladder automatically not pressing a stupid button, not starving to death in a few hours, better melee fighting, more natural weapons).

The most important things is making the higher level gameplay more achievable, enjoyable and rewarding. To which I could say more drastic changes that would help, but a tweak at how tents work would be the lightest.

Edited by andrew99
  • Like 1