Sign in to follow this  
Those Five Jewz

map question

i've heard that you should have a map on a different monitor

just a question

would printing the map work the same as a separate monitor?

noob question i know but im new to Day Z

Edited by Those Five Jewz

The different monitor thing is referring to the map you can collect in game I think. Seems a bit over the top. I use the Wiki map: http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/Gmap/beta/gmap.html.

This plus a compass works a treat. Just Alt-TAB back and forth. If you have an in-game map you can also open a mini-map display so no need for 2 monitors.

The different monitor thing is referring to the map you can collect in game I think. Seems a bit over the top. I use the Wiki map: http://dayzwiki.com/.../beta/gmap.html.

This plus a compass works a treat. Just Alt-TAB back and forth. If you have an in-game map you can also open a mini-map display so no need for 2 monitors.

thanks for the help, but i was wondering that if i dont have another monitor or a map in the game

that if i should use a map separately just so i have an idea of where i am

Alt-Tabbing is not recommended due to some serious life thretening bugs ;)

I think most people refer to DayZDB map or some such when they mean having the map on another monitor.

Bugs with Alt-Tabbing range from the annoying "Stuck direction Button" when you tab back in so your character won't stop moving.

Single shot fired from whatever weapon you are holding

To the FREAKING annoying FIRE STUCK ON which wastes your ammo and gives you away or worse ;)

All these bugs are fixed by hitting ESC then back into the game but by then it's sometimes too late ;)

If you have to Alt Tab put your gun down or switch to secondary first to be safe.

Yes Printing the map out works if you can print it A3 but A4 should work fine too =p

Alt-Tabbing is not recommended due to some serious life thretening bugs ;)

I think most people refer to DayZDB map or some such when they mean having the map on another monitor.

Bugs with Alt-Tabbing range from the annoying "Stuck direction Button" when you tab back in so your character won't stop moving.

Single shot fired from whatever weapon you are holding

To the FREAKING annoying FIRE STUCK ON which wastes your ammo and gives you away or worse ;)

All these bugs are fixed by hitting ESC then back into the game but by then it's sometimes too late ;)

If you have to Alt Tab put your gun down or switch to secondary first to be safe.

Yes Printing the map out works if you can print it A3 but A4 should work fine too =p

ok makes sense thanks

The foldable "tourist" map that BIS used to give away ( I think you can buy them now) is handy to have as a reference. Unlike many of the on-line maps, it doesn't show lot spawn locations, which is fine with me.

I managed to download a .pdf copy and had it printed to its 1:20 000 scale so it is compatible with the protractors on my Silva Ranger compass. Let the inner geek shine!

Also, you obviously cannot zoom in and out with a paper map, so I find it more immersive (realistic) than using the ingame map where you can zoom down to a 100m x 100m grid.

Edited by Wawazat

The foldable "tourist" map that BIS used to give away ( I think you can buy them now) is handy to have as a reference. Unlike many of the on-line maps, it doesn't show lot spawn locations, which is fine with me.

I managed to download a .pdf copy and had it printed to its 1:20 000 scale so it is compatible with the protractors on my Silva Ranger compass. Let the inner geek shine!

Also, you obviously cannot zoom in and out with a paper map, so I find it more immersive (relalistic) than using the ingame map where you can zoom down to a 100m x 100m grid.

yeah i think im just going to print one purely for the fact idk how to hook up a second monitor nor do i have one

Yes - the point is that you have a reference to look at on the side. The benefit of using the online map on a 2nd monitor is that you can filter some of the icons out. If you're new to the game, I would use dayzdb.com/map and remove all 4 types of Low Yield buildings (Residential, Industrial, Farm, and Military). Next, remove Vehicles.

That set-up right there is a solid, print-able map. If you are printing in Black and White... and have some colored pencils laying around (or highlighters), then try to mark all ponds (blue) and the trees (green) around the cities/airfields. You should also color the High and Medium yield buildings according to their category (in the first paragraph).

If you want to mark some important bits on your map...

1. I'd put a big red circle around the Northwest Airfield, Vybor, and Stary Sobor. You'll find bandits all over Chernarus, but in these three areas, you'll find the best equipped ones. Also, players very rarely come to these areas alone, so if you see another player, assume that he's got friends. Bottom line: stay away until you're ready. The next big PvP areas to note are the Northeast airfields and Berezino (Southside - near the Hospital/Supermarket) and Cherno/Elektro (obviously). Also, I've seen Polana pretty active recently, my squad got in two firefights there today.

2. Don't use the Dayzdb.com/map for vehicle spawns. Instead, use this http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles#Spawn_Locations_of_Vehicles and mark whatever you want. To be honest, I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for vehicles. Assume that organized squads already have most of them, and if you come across one randomly, then cheers!

3. Like I said before, water. Mark water. When you're living in the North (off the coast) you only need 4 items to survive forever without having to go into town. Hatchet (to kill animals and cut trees down), Hunting Knife (to gut the animal and collect raw meat), Matches (to use the wood to make a fireplace which keeps you warm and cooks meat), and a Water Bottle. If you have the water marked properly on your map, make sure you are always within a short walk of another pond or worst-case-scenario, a water pump on the edge of town.

4. In the future, when you're a weathered survivor with a sniper rifle strapped to your back, you need to mark your favorite sniper locations. These are areas that are elevated, hard to attack, and easy to escape from (all obviously after you have a good field of view of your sector). Two examples of sniper positions are the forested hill to the Northwest of Vybor and the Northern ridge overlooking Polana.

I think that right there will give you a relatively clean map, with loads of information that will get you through the end of the world.

• Like 2

Nice tips man.

Also I like the printed map as over reliance on the online map never really encourages you to actually READ the damn thing.

Just learning to read the map (elevation / Basic orienteering etc) really help stop you getting lost.

Just knowing your rough area from the splash screen then taking a look at the surrounding hills / tracks / roads and being able to say I'm HERE, and this is THAT WAY is so nice, especially when you want to loot deer huts en route!

You really need a compass to do this well though :(

Edited by Cannon

I was wondering, has anyone seem an online map yet where you can place and save your own markers on? That would be epic. ;x

Something else to think about try bringing the Map up on a tablet or smartphone if you have one. I tried it on both my iPad and Android smartphone and both came up. I will admit the map on the Android is challenging to view but it works in a pinch.

Good Luck.