Sign in to follow this  
gantonski

Why do you shoot on sight? (TL;DR)

I read a lot of hate on here about people hating the griefing by other players and i want to start some kind of discussion to either validate, or prove (in a simulator context) its wrong.

Let me start by telling a quick story from just about an hour ago..

I was in NW Airfield with a red food icon. I (shamefully) was server hopping to try and fulfill that requirement, going through the fire station, ACT and the barn building. As i was in the ACT i saw a person slow-crouching up the stairs. They may have heard my footsteps, as i wasnt being particularly careful. He was equipped with a pistol and i had my M16.. once i saw him i just unloaded until it said he died.

I do not consider myself a griefer (but i am impressed by both zombie/player kill count). I was just in a large amount of fear for my gear (breaking rule #1) since i had just recently found a heli crash, and also got my hands on a M24, with a fair amount of medical supplies and a revolver.

He didnt shoot one shot, maybe he was a friendly. My heart was falling out of my anus and shot him because A) he startled me and B) I didnt wanna die/lose my stuff.

so, people say its not real life.. and maybe i wouldnt hold onto thos items in real life the same way i do in game... but thats why its called a simulator and not 'real life'. i think the disconnect is in the ability to communicate 'negotiations' and possibly other players inability to sympathize.

TL;DR

Since griefing is kind of a lose term (anyone who gets killed without starting a fight can blame griefing), where do you draw the line? is it breaking the first rule of dayz? (dont get too attached to your gear) or is it to protect your time played on present life?

i currently have (i think) 2 murders and ~260 zombie kills, and have a fairly good inventory. I will do what i have to, to protect my stuff, even if that means shooting when i feel there isnt time to communicate negotiations or rational thought.

same.. i see a person in elektro running around the fire station/office or hospital.. i shoot the moment i get a clear view... i don't realy care about if that player have been killed 10 times in the last 30 min... i have tried that and i have learned from it... nuffing better to sit on a hill with a sniper and pin them down one by one... :)

same.. i see a person in elektro running around the fire station/office or hospital.. i shoot the moment i get a clear view... i don't realy care about if that player have been killed 10 times in the last 30 min... i have tried that and i have learned from it... nuffing better to sit on a hill with a sniper and pin them down one by one... :)

You sick bastard! If I ever see you I'm going to hack you to death with a hatchet and teabag your corpse. :D :D

• Like 1

i still feel guilty whenever i kill someone, only murdered 2 people in weeks.

Purely out of self defense really, they didnt shoot first but they were coming straight towards me, just a case of the wrong place at the wrong time.

I know they would have killed me though, but i still feel guilty about it.

Many people have the thought in their heads that everyone shoots on sight, So if i don't shoot them first, they will shoot me, even though i try to be friendly. :|

I only kill on sight if they are near my camp of course. Other than that I tend to avoid.

Until now I never started a firefight and my mates think I am crazy to do that. In my opinion PvP and banditry is what makes this game so intense, but useless KoS destroys it.

Some weeks in by now and no murder on my account.

The choice between a small movement of my right hand vs the boring routine to get basic stuff again ...

Until now I never started a firefight and my mates think I am crazy to do that. In my opinion PvP and banditry is what makes this game so intense, but useless KoS destroys it.

Some weeks in by now and no murder on my account.

Today I ran into a guy in the woods, I don't think he saw me. Would he have turned towards me, I would have shot. On my behalf it's kill on eye contact.