IroquoisPliskin (DayZ)

I will never be a bandit. Survivor nice-guy stories

about less than half an hour ago i was sitting inside the cherno supermarket looking for tools like the hunting knife compass and map and stuff found what i needed and looked for some food next thing i know someones come running into the shop from the back and tried shootin me with the akm (i have no idea how i got out the door in time he must be an aim fail) but i considered running off then realised if hes shooting at me he must be shooting at others i went back around to the back and seen him trying to loot something im pointing a lee enfield at his head waiting for him to realised he looked straight up at me

LOL boom in the head picked up his ak and walked away

two seconds later i realised three people joined the server i had a look at their names and each one of them had [fail] in their name and then i realised the guy i just shot was part of that "fail" clan so i just did one out of cherno and didnt look back

now im not a bandit but he shot first im sorry but i dont take being shot at very lightly...

• Like 4

>Looting quietly at the military tents at Stary Sobor

>Hear shots, zombie aggro

>Hear the screaming an unconscious character does when being attacked

>Pull out my M9 SD, the only weapon I have ammunition for

>Empty my clips into the zombies eating the survivor

>Zombies are all dead

>Attempt to bandage/ give transfusion

>Flies buzz, survivor's dead

>Pause to absorb what just happened

>Get taken out by a DMR or M24 sniper while standing there.

After being shot at/killed several times when I have attempted to help someone, I'm not sure I can follow the "helpful survivor" doctrine anymore. Kill on sight seems to be the rule of thumb now.

• Like 2

So last night I was on a subreddit and there was this guy who, about an hour before, asks for help. He said he was near Bor, which was exactly where I was. So I message him asking for the details of where he was because I had enough equipment to help him out.

I load the server where he said he was and go to the deer stand that he was supposedly in. You guessed it, he wasn't there. I stay around the deer stand for a while and suddenly I see this guy run up to the deer stand with a sniper. He climbs the ladder and looks in the returns to the ground as there was nothing in it. I at this stage was under a bush next to the stand. He spots me and I stand up ... BOOM he tries to no scope me. He missed, so I ran. I could have opened up my AK74 and obliterated him but flight was my first instinct. He tried hitting me a few more times but was a terrible shot.

I gave this redditor a second chance although at this stage feel I was being set up. He said he had got it wrong and was at another deer stand nearby. So I log back on and go to this other deer stand. This time with even more precaution than before. I get there and find a guy laying in the deer stand with dead zombies all around the bottom of the ladder. This had to be the guy. It was, he had a broken leg and low blood and by this stage was getting hungry. So I patched him up and we went and looted a few places together and managed to kill and cook a cow.

I had never met this guy in my life, I get shot at trying to help but still decide to try help although thought I was being set up. Eventually helping this guy gave me things I needed. I feel good with myself and gain equipment :D

• Like 7

With my very first character I remember going to the noob airstrip searching the hangers then hearing a voice call out saying “friendly”. I called back “friendly” and in came a group of four armed to the teeth individuals. They ordered me down (I had nothing, just spawned), took the only bandage I had and then unloaded on me, revived and patched me up, and then they killed me again. I re-spawned on the beach east of the airstrip and started to make my way back only to see a blue van driving towards me. I jumped into a group of bushes but it was too late, they had spotted me. Lo and behold it was the same group of guys who had shot me minutes before. “Not you again” was my response… they started to laugh ordered me to stay down but this time instead of taking what little I had and killing me they loaded my pack with gear, even giving me a 1911 pistol before they left. I later encountered a guy bleeding out he stated he was friendly and asked for assistance. I went up to bandage him and he thanked me by killing me. Every person (well with one exception) that has stated they are “friendly” has proven to be anything but friendly. I’ve tried to play as a friendly but after weeks of the same results I’m thinking of changing my approach when it comes to other survivors. I think from now I’ll shoot first and ask questions later.

It never ceases to amaze me, the number of idiots who think kill or be killed = survival. It must be a cultural thing. Think Virginia Tech. Think Columbine High. Think Hurricane Katrina. Where I'm from, we recently had a cyclone 1/3 larger than Katrina. 500km of coastline was effected, many towns utterly destroyed. Water and power were cut to hundreds and thousands of people. Tens of millions of dollars of damage was done to property. One person ...ONE PERSON, died. And he died because of the exhaust fumes of the generator he was using inside. In the weeks following the Cyclone, there was no looting. There was no raping. There was no murder. What there was, was a whole lot of people helping other people. I myself went with a work party to the worst effected area and swung a chainsaw for a few days, clearing fallen trees from roads and yards. I worked for free, and while we worked, locals would come out to us with food and drink. Free. As a vote of thanks for our help. Others donated food and money to relief centers. Others took battery operated radios, gas cookers and tinned food to shops in effected areas and just left them "for anyone who needed them."

If you're playing Drathmatch Day Z, kill on sight, survival of the fittest, you're a freak. You're not one of the masses, you're not in the majority. You're fucked in the head basically. You're the batshit insane lone gunman who eventually dies in a hail of police gunfire. And don't try that "there won't be any police when the shit hits the fan," bullshit. I was stranded in outback Australia by a flood once, with 300 other people. No police. Limited food supplies. And by the second day, a retired ex army chef turned truck driver had turned the roadhouse into a messhall, and was preparing meals of export quality beef and fresh veges (that would have rotted in the trucks, had we not eaten them.) We ate like kings. Slept on the floor in the bar. We survived by pulling together, making the best use of the available resources, and as humans tend to do (the ones who arent batshit insane, that is,) we got ourselves organised and continued to act with civility and common decency.

So there's a ray of sunshine. In times of real tragedy, you're going to find people are generally good. You'll be helped. You'll be fed. You'll be housed. You'll be treated with compassion and respect. Unless you're in the US, in which case you'll be left to fend for yourself, and eventually shot and killed by some spastic who's had too much ritalin. Some spastic just like you. And thankfully, you won't respawn. You'll rot in the street like the piece of shit you are.

I play Day Z the way I live my life. I help people. I get stuck in and do the hard work that needs doing. I'm charitable. I'm friendly. If you're doing it tough, I'm there to help smooth the way. I'll never be a bandit.

Something to think about.

There is a difference between real life and videogame worlds. Don't mix those up, ever.

DayZ is a deathmatch game by its game mechanics and its reward system, so as a consequence people play deathmatch.

It's as simple as that.

Freaks and murderers run around and kill people.

Gamers sit on their ass and play videogames.

Two very different things.

Edited by perestain
  • Like 7

I'm a bandit by heart. But I have a code. I'd never shoot an unarmed player. I'd never turn on someone that I've said 'friendly' to, unless they turn on ME. I mostly pull robberies and stick ups to get the items I want. But, if someone doesn't comply, well, as a great man once said, "If someone tries to kill you, well... you try and kill 'em right back."

But I have a few 'Good guy Kaz' stories. This one time, I was making a run through Balota, low on blood. I heard gunshots, and peeked out behind the second hangar to check where they were coming from. I saw a poor, defenseless player sprinting across the airfield, with a good 15 zombies on him and a fellow bandit (well, hardly) shooting at him with an M4, about 300m's from me. One, I wanted the M4. Two, the defenseless player looked like a fresh spawn, and I felt bad. So let out a burst from my AKM, and the other bandit dove to the ground, bullets whizzing past his head. I moved forward, and he sprayed his gun at me, a round hitting me square in the thigh. My legs broke instantly. I had no morphine, and 3k blood. I knew I had to get this guy, maybe he had morphine or cooked meat in his inventory. So I let out another burst, and I got him straight in the head. Bandit kills, +1. The zombies that were still after the noob dropped fairly easily, and I called out to him, saying things like

"Help, friendly!" He ran over, and looked at me. He said, simply,

"Thanks, but sorry, man, ain't got any meds.."

"No problem, dude." I responded. I was bleeding badly, losing blood fast. Without any bandages in my belt, I knew I was done. "Take my rifle." I said. "You'll need it more than me. There's ammo and food in the pack.". He thanked me, and shouldered the AK. I turned, crawled a few feet towards the other bandits body, and dropped dead. Guy had the good will to bury my body, but not the other bandit's, after he was done getting the rest of the stuff, too. Never did see him again. And I still got that M4.

Edited by Spartan114
  • Like 8

When i first started playing I drug bodies to save people after dieing 50 times I kill everything that moves.

I choose not to kill people, but my friends Kill on sight.

If I where you, I would find ways to make things happen to your "friends" or "group" I have been in a couple of groups like that, I shoot the guy and try and bandage him, other guy walks up and hits him, I find it easy to walk away to a roof top close by. saying you have to go eat or something.

anyways I will always be friendly, I met a kid by the balota airfield medical tents in a deerstand, I had no ammo and I knew I couldnt really fight back if he was not friendly, I was a bit new to the game, I started yelling "Hey! friendly!" thinking he was shooting at me, I realised he was shooting at zombies, I started pointing out directions and locations of zombies to him, I then ran up to one of the other deerstands, to my suprise he walked up and climbed up it and stared at me, I had my ak47 and he had his m4a1 acog camo he just looted and picked up and I asked if he needed any ammo.. he said if you have any sure, I noticed a ak47 mag in his pack, I asked if we could trade, he said sure, m4a1 for ak47 mag, we then teamed up and went all the way to cherno, in cherno we met up with his brother in a hail of gunshots, hail as in markovs revolvers dmrs all kinds of stuff.. my big group had logged off later and a couple of guys still where on, he had a DMR and was giving me locations and stuff, we where flared and grenaded, but we only passed out, His brother came and saved both of us.... as it turned out he told me his bother was telling him to shoot me because everyone else is a bandit on the game, I am glad I am steam friends with them now.. I will never stop being a friendly person....

• Like 3

I'm a bandit by heart. But I have a code. I'd never shoot an unarmed player. I'd never turn on someone that I've said 'friendly' to, unless they turn on ME. I mostly pull robberies and stick ups to get the items I want. But, if someone doesn't comply, well, as a great man once said, "If someone tries to kill you, well... you try and kill 'em right back."

But I have a few 'Good guy Kaz' stories. This one time, I was making a run through Balota, low on blood. I heard gunshots, and peeked out behind the second hangar to check where they were coming from. I saw a poor, defenseless player sprinting across the airfield, with a good 15 zombies on him and a fellow bandit (well, hardly) shooting at him with an M4, about 300m's from me. One, I wanted the M4. Two, the defenseless player looked like a fresh spawn, and I felt bad. So let out a burst from my AKM, and the other bandit dove to the ground, bullets whizzing past his head. I moved forward, and he sprayed his gun at me, a round hitting me square in the thigh. My legs broke instantly. I had no morphine, and 3k blood. I knew I had to get this guy, maybe he had morphine or cooked meat in his inventory. So I let out another burst, and I got him straight in the head. Bandit kills, +1. The zombies that were still after the noob dropped fairly easily, and I called out to him, saying things like

"Help, friendly!" He ran over, and looked at me. He said, simply,

"Thanks, but sorry, man, ain't got any meds.."

"No problem, dude." I responded. I was bleeding badly, losing blood fast. Without any bandages in my belt, I knew I was done. "Take my rifle." I said. "You'll need it more than me. There's ammo and food in the pack.". He thanked me, and shouldered the AK. I turned, crawled a few feet towards the other bandits body, and dropped dead. Guy had the good will to bury my body, but not the other bandit's, after he was done getting the rest of the stuff, too. Never did see him again. And I still got that M4.

Bandits with codes of honor! I LOVE IT.

You sir, are my favorite.

• Like 5

Yeah, had a story like this myself too :D. Was in a church in some town (Cant remember the name xd) and a random guy pops in. He was bleeding badly and was about to die.. Patched him up and decided to team up :). I couldve decided to kill him (He had a really nice gun :P) , but ive decided not to. :D

I do like that this game kind of gives you an option to kill other humans if you'd like, but it appears most people have chosen that route, obviously.

I'll always be a helpful player because I simply find it much more fulfilling. Yesterday I ran into a player who had some supplies I could have easily shot him for because he was unarmed, but I took him with me. He seemed reluctant at first, and I bet if he had a gun he would have put me down fast.

We were in Cherno, scrounging empty hotels for anything that may be useful. I heard several gunshots but I was pretty sure they weren't meant for us. My silent partner wasn't so convinced and decided to make a break for it down the streets. The undead decided to accompany him and then there was no hope.

Off to find the next person to survive against the living and the dead.

I agree completely. :)

• Like 1

I only help people if they're unarmed. If they have common guns, I'll just avoid them.

If they have military gear, though, KOS.

When I kill them, I rarely take their gear though. I leave it for other people.

Think of me like Robin Hood.

Edited by Flying Mathias

Ive been playing the hell out of this mod for the past 2 days, I grouped up with a guy in my barracks and his friend back home, now i got a friend in OK thats gonna jump on with us, working with a group is awesome. What I am sick of is indiscriminate killings. I couldn't tell you how many lives ive gone through because of asshole bandits/survivors that shoot for no reason, even when im unarmed. I've only commited one bandit act, only because I had 30 Zombies on my tail and an Axe, and no time to distinguish friend or foe. I ran into a factory and walked backwards up the stairs hacking at every zombie that followed. Theres about a 30 second gap before the next group of zombies approached so I quickly ran to the 3rd story. In a room alone and unarmed was another survivor, I heard zombies on the stairs and quickly acked away at the guy, sadly didnt die immediately only to run to the stairs and be eaten by the zombies. I finished off the remaining zombies and looted what I could. I felt bad, he had nothing on him. I never want to be that guy again.

I've talked to my friends and decided were gonna focus on bandit hunting, we'll patrol the spawn areas questioning all who were murdered so that we can find and hunt them down. We will welcome any who want to join us.

• Like 2

>Looting quietly at the military tents at Stary Sobor

>Hear shots, zombie aggro

>Hear the screaming an unconscious character does when being attacked

>Pull out my M9 SD, the only weapon I have ammunition for

>Empty my clips into the zombies eating the survivor

>Zombies are all dead

>Attempt to bandage/ give transfusion

>Flies buzz, survivor's dead

>Pause to absorb what just happened

>Get taken out by a DMR or M24 sniper while standing there.

After being shot at/killed several times when I have attempted to help someone, I'm not sure I can follow the "helpful survivor" doctrine anymore. Kill on sight seems to be the rule of thumb now.

There's many people like you out there. You can decide to repel the plague, or become it. Its a losing battle for our side but that does not mean we should give up.

Edit: Sadly I have joined the plague. Its just too hard to survive these days. I decided not to shoot unarmed people and be a robin hood bandit, but they usually end up shooting me...

Edited by Etmer
  • Like 2

I do have to confess my first murder.

It was night-time and the friend I was meeting up with had been shot in the small business office in Cherno, near the hotels. I was crawling my way there as there was still gunfire and zombies near by, he had died just as I reached the entrance. I took his painkillers and moved out of the building where I was greeted by the gunman who likely shot down my friend. He shot me twice, I think, and I put one well-placed bullet into his head, dropping him instantly. I took off to the nearest of the hotels and bandaged myself up, glad I grabbed those painkillers.

He, like Han, shot first. I think I was in the right.

Edited by IroquoisPliskin
  • Like 2

Senrain has a nice one

July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I was watching NWAF with my AS50 just the other day, and there were two strangers at the opposite ends of the airfield, male and female. I followed their movements. I realized as they both crawled towards the fire house, evading the undead and quickly glancing over loot that they were going to end up bumping into each other.

I had front row seats through my scope into the open door of the fire house, and I was anticipating a shootout followed by me finishing off the victor. Boy was I surprised.

They spot each other and pause to stare at each other for but a second. Then the female survivor's hand rises to their forehead.They were saluting the male survivor. I'm a bit shocked, as the male survivor's hand too rises to his forehead. I stared at them as they formed their instantaneous alliance and began combing the airfield together.

I could have shot them both, I considered it for a moment. But no I just watched as you two worked together with a common interest. Because of this I protected you two as you ran across the tarmac dodging bullets from the third stranger atop the fire house. I shot him in the chest from 900 meters away, I doubt any of you heard the shot that killed him.

If those two strangers are reading this let me just say. You are amazing.

If you want to give your beans here is the thread http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39804-a-tale-of-two-strangers-and-a-touched-sniper/page__hl__%2Btouched+%2Bsniper

• Like 9

My first day (which was actually yesterday, lol), I had just come off the beach and was attempting to loot a small town for whatever I could find, when another survivor comes up on me from behind. Luckily he was shouting "friendly, friendly", and I quickly did the same. He was nice enough to kill the zombies outside and advise me to head North to a bigger city for better loot.

This is probably my new favorite thread. So many asshats in this game just play it to kill other people. herpderp I could do that too, assholes. You don't need to kill someone just because you see them, although I've almost lost my will and broken down to KoS... just because of other people >.<

so frustrating "Hey man, friendly" "Cool me too" *bam*

wtf.. Go back to my body. Oh.. Wow. Hey! Everything I had is still there, ! What a kill!

I was passing through Solnichniy and happened upon a survivor who was unconscious and bleeding. I bandaged his wounds, and he got up and ran from me. I told him in direct chat to let me blood bag him. He comes back from around the rock and gets close to me. I start to transfuse him when he takes my AK out of my backpack then unloads on me.

Survivor is now a bandit. So ungrateful.The number of bandits in this game kinda sickens me.

• Like 3

First night-time experience, not much of a story. You've been warned.

So I played my first night time game last night. Pitch Black. After about 25 min of roaming, I find Kamenka. The first building I go into I find an axe. Kill a few zombies, and head towards Komarovo. Almost out of town, I find a guy flashing his light everywhere as he runs from zombies. I finally intercept and kill the 2 chasing him, which he hides in a bush. I can only tell because of his nameplate. I kept flashing my light on and off at him to signal friendly, and eventually he came out. We ran together for a good 2 hours, finding another axe for him, and eventually a makarov in the city of Komarovo in the process. Newly strapped, we decide to head towards the airfield.Nothing. No guns, not even tin cans in the airfield, so we proceed to head to Cherno, has to be something there, right? Almost entering the town, I get randomly sniped while walking about 15ft from the guy. Try to use direct chat to no avail. Eventually, the guy shines his light at me to see what happened, and instant death for him too.

All in all, I played with him for 3 hours...See, if I could communicate, I could of warned him about the sniper, and maybe he could of survived long enough to hold my gear till I got back. Not really a story, but it was my first nighttime experience, which was ruined by lack of communication.

Edit:spelling

Edited by jordan2412

Found a random guy that was unconscious (Heard gunshots and went over there to see what was goin on) that was around Sosnovka. I bandaged him and gave him morphine, transfusion, painkillers, and lastly an epi-pen.

after he got up he thanked me and he put his CZ550 on the ground and left.

I tried to follow him and tell him i didnt need it but he kept running.

i already had a Ghille suit, M107 (For the cars), and M16 M203

Edited by PkStormx

A couple of hours earlier today I was standing south of Stary Sobor, observing the town with my binoculars when I started spotting infected around the city. I knew what this must mean; there's a survivor! I cautiously watched as the infected spread from building to building until they finally stopped appearing, but I could not spot the survivor who was probably making sure he could not be seen by any of the many bandits who frequent the area. I waited for a few minutes before I decided to approach the town.

I started running through the forest, I ran maybe 50 meters, past a few rocks, a few trees and then I saw him; a survivor running up the hill only 20-30 meters away. I hit the ground immediately hoping he wouldn't see me, but he did. I was terrified that he would consider me hostile and protect himself by shooting first, but there were no shots. He went prone behind a pine tree and then there was silence.

I could not see nor hear him, I laid there for what felt like forever until I started slowly crawling backwards into the forest. I finally found the courage to stand up and run in the opposite direction. I ran as fast as I could until I got to a big open field, with a downed helicopter. I took cover behind a stone wall and I could still feel my heart beating incredibly fast but at least I felt a bit safer now. I could still not see nor hear anything except for the infected who had now started to emerge from the helicopter wreck.

I had already pushed my luck today and was not particularly keen on running across an open field near one of the most sniper-populated areas in the whole of Chernarus. But for some reason (I must have still been in shock and not thinking straight) I decided to walk back to the tree where I had last seen him. He was nowhere to be found. I figured I've had enough excitement for one day and started running down south through the forest to find a spot to end my journey for today. I had not eaten for quite some time and fortunately found a boar which I decided to make my dinner.

I must have ran at least one kilometer, crossing a dirt road and then started climbing the hill on the other side. This is when I see:

Randall: "I see you"

My body froze for a second or two and then instinctively I started running as fast as I could up the hill. At the top I turned around, laid down in the grass and waited for a moment. But I could not see anyone.

I had so many thoughts running through my head that I could not decide on what to do next; should I say something back? where is he? will he be able to hear me? Finally my survival instincts took over again and I got up and kept on running as fast as I could. I ran for several kilometers, going down hill, up hill, through thick forestation, doing everything I could to make sure no one could follow me.

I finally stopped when I felt confident that he could not possibly be following me still. It is not until this point that I realize that this was only the second time someone had tried to communicate with me through my week long journey. Now after the fact I cannot but wonder what had happened if I had actually responded. Was he just a survivor trying to make his way through the wasteland? Was he just as terrified as I was seeing another survivor at that hill? I will most likely never know.

Thank you Randall, thank you for talking to me. And most of all, thank you for not shooting me.

PS. If you read this and your name is not Randall, I apologize. It all happened so fast.

Edit: Sorry for the TL;DR xD

Edited by Redien

I once just spawned in Elektro and heard multiple Makarov shots, I went to investigate.

I went closer and see a guy who was shooting zombies with his makarov.

He apparently had his bones broken and almost out of ammo.

I had NOTHING, and I could have been his only saviour.

I asked if he was friendly and if he would need help. And he said yes, so I took a mission to go to the hospital.

I find a winchester on the way to the hospital. Then I find a guy that was hiding from something. Then he tried to shoot me, so I obviously defended myself and murdered him.

Then I find the hospital, took morphine, bandages and blood bags and went back.

He was still there, lying on the ground.

I give him morphine and a blood transfusion, then I soon found out he's a newbie, and ask my survival friend if he can come with us, and he said no since he was a new guy.

We did not see eachother since then, and since my "friend" isn't playing with me anymore, I regret that I left him behind.

I give random survivors medical and zombie killing help from time to time but I rarely get the chance. Most encounters I come across are bandits or snipers.

The last time I helped someone he was noob with a Mak who ran into a barn with about 25 zombies on him. What an idiot. He was bleeding to. I got on Direct Comms and told him to bandage while I covered him. I shot a bunch of zombies while he bandaged. Told him a DB shotty was in the house across from the barn too. Didn't say thank you but I was satisfied I got to help and that he didn't kill me for my Bizon afterwards.

I've only been playing for 2 days but I've come across good and bad people.

On my first day I was running from like 30 zombies down a railroad not really knowing wtf I was doing haha.

But some nice guy, who I never got to see, starting shooting all the zombies chasing me. And when I turned around they were all gone but he was no where in sight. Such a nice guy. <3

On the other hand, some douchebags surrounded me in the grocery store today. I was looking at a can of beans or something when all of a sudden shots starting busting the glass windows. Some guy starts crawling into the front so I try to go out the back but there's another guy. They surround me and kill me. :(