Sign in to follow this  
moofactory

Why cant the visuals look like this??

There's an older arma2 mod called "rage virus/Escape?" or something anywho....

Much like the visual enhancements modders have done with skyrim VFX injectors, this seems to have a really

awesome atmospheric effect overlay.

The fog effects alone, breathes it new life, let alone the subdued tones and red hue.

Where as the vibrant crisp clean look of the default arma 2 engine makes it feel outdated

or..unfinished in the way a 3d animation for a film might look unfinished before the

overlay effects have been done.

Perhaps its just the sun is going down, perhaps there's a lot of dust being kicked up and its a different map.

But for me it really feels... closer to how id imagine this kind of game's atmosphere and feel.

Hard to describe.

I feel the default feels a little... too clean looking for this kind of game type.

Your thoughts about atmospheric effects and visual tone of DayZ?

Should be enhanced?/should stay as is?

Can it even be enhanced on the current format?

because in the real world not everything looks like an old western movie during a sandstorm. i agree there should be more weather/enviromental affects but i dont know how often they get sand storms in russia.

arma 2 has its own shader overlays at the moment and i agree there should be more skybox/sun and clowd affects and maybe some morning dew and mist and fogg but i wouldent go this full out on a mod that focouses as much as it can on realism.

Edited by crimsom
  • Like 1

great FX, I think its should be added as weather effect, so its will happen sometimes

No matter how beautiful it looks - I'll have to agree with crimsom. This looks more like something that would be suited in the Fallout 3 wasteland, rather than the Chernarus wasteland. But if it was being used as a mist effect for certain weather types/altitudes then YES PLEASE! :D

• Like 3

i'm glad it doesn't look like that. that looks like shit. literally. its all one shit color brown. I have no problem with the visuals the way they are. what i care more about is the shit animations but that's probably an arma 2 problem.

• Like 1

i dont like it. barely any visibility. this looks like what chernarus would look like from nuclear radiation or something.

From what i imagine chernarus is just a military experiment gone wrong, that turned into a rapid spreading infection that wiped out the majority of the population. no nukes, no chemicals that pollute the earth. just a lot of infected human beings. and the PvP aspect would be hindered greatly with visuals like this. it wouldn't feel the same.

• Like 1

I guess, not exactly this extreme. Its only an overdone example in comparison to something very nutural.

But it does give it something of a more dramatic appearance.

I guess when I see zombies/Infected/horror films the environment tends to compliment these.

You dont see many games or more so, films of this type where the scary creatures are in broad daylight.

Im thinking way less about the pvp element and a whole lot more about the mood.

I think id like to see some persistent mood to the environment visuals that's not quite normal.

its those subtleties that compliment the setting and the story.

I think what im getting at is a few important cinematic techniques using colour and atmospheric perspective

Atmospheric-perspective

http://www.arthints....ic-perspective/

Color-Coded by Genre

http://www.cracked.c...-look-same.html

Colour theory in film

http://www.outside-h...nematographers/

Colour sets the mood of a game or film, And this with atmospheric effects only heightens the mood trying to be portrayed.

Im sorry, but while Arma 2/3 might strive for realism... DayZ is fiction grounded by realism, and if story is going to play any part of DayZ as a stand alone game.

The environmental mood, Day or night should reflect the mood and feel of story to appropriately set the scene, which means some creative freedoms must be had.

I would expect its supposed to be a dark moody scary suspenseful game, the environment needs to complement this.. just enough so its not obvious.

Edited by moofactory
  • Like 1

mornings should have fog. lighting should be affected by the moon/sun and clouds. winds should kick up dirt on dirt roads.

You dont see many games or more so, films of this type where the scary creatures are in broad daylight.

That is exactly the theme that the Resident Evil 3 movie wanted to deal with, because the idea hadn't really been explored much. :P

Chernarus is no desert wasteland though - and these effects in the video seem they would compliment that environment more - the screen saturation especially. But I can really see it working if it is used for mist/fog instead. Because in this video it is being used more to give the impression of a kind of dust effect, or to add a sense of it being hot and humid? That's just the feeling I get..

Edited by BECKiEE

That does indeed look amazing. Although I enjoy the scenery of what we currently have, so imo they don't need to change drastically, if they ever change. :)

That is exactly the theme that the Resident Evil 3 movie wanted to deal with, because the idea hadn't really been explored much. :P

Chernarus is no desert wasteland though - and these effects in the video seem they would compliment that environment more - the screen saturation especially. But I can really see it working if it is used for mist/fog instead. Because in this video it is being used more to give the impression of a kind of dust effect, or to add a sense of it being hot and humid? That's just the feeling I get..

I guess as Ive said above, its more the subtle hue and atmosphere changes that would allow the mood to creep in.

Diablo 3 did it pretty well as an example:

d3-4.jpg

The earthy slightly muted tones as above give off a much different mood to this:

7213052108_71bb27c66f.jpg

Indoors

diablo_3_demon_hunter_dungeon.jpg

This is only a very quick example but you will understand what I mean.

Hue adjustments dependent on where you are and day/night... wow does it quite well going between zones.

In this case, indoors vs outdoors... quite a dramatic difference, a bad example but im sure your getting the idea.

hue-ajust.jpg

At the moment, I just think its too vibrant, too much blue and greens are too strong.

Edited by moofactory

mornings should have fog. lighting should be affected by the moon/sun and clouds. winds should kick up dirt on dirt roads.

The engine has its limitations aswell

On topic: I think maby one area might be nice if it'd look like this, but making the entire map look like this isn't realistic.

I guess as Ive said above, its more the subtle hue and atmosphere changes that would allow the mood to creep in.

Diablo 3 did it pretty well as an example:

d3-4.jpg

The earthy slightly muted tones as above give off a much different mood to this:

7213052108_71bb27c66f.jpg

Indoors

diablo_3_demon_hunter_dungeon.jpg

This is only a very quick example but you will understand what I mean.

Hue adjustments dependent on where you are and day/night... wow does it quite well going between zones.

In this case, indoors vs outdoors... quite a dramatic difference, a bad example but im sure your getting the idea.

hue-ajust.jpg

At the moment, I just think its too vibrant, too much blue and greens are too strong.

Diablo 3 is possibly the worst example you can give to illustrate your argument.

If you knew where the idea of whimsyshire came from, you'd know why.

Edited by chaR

I guess the average gamer just love brown.

Also this map i believe is proving ground from the PMC addon, it DOES look very apocalyptic even without effects, dead trees and wild vegetation.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

The engine has its limitations aswell

On topic: I think maby one area might be nice if it'd look like this, but making the entire map look like this isn't realistic.

Diablo 3 is possibly the worst example you can give to illustrate your argument.

If you think it's a joke at MLP which a lot of people seem to believe then that's wrong.

It's a joke about how earlier builds of Diablo where much more cartoony in grapic style and how many people where complaininging how it would become some kiddie game.

Anyway, on topic, Dayz could do with some more weather effects to help set the mood, currently it's rather bland.

No I think the way blizzard work with colour to convey mood in a scene are a great example to illustrate my argument.

My point about whimsyshire IS that its cheerfull full of fluffy cute things. (its totally out of place within the game, content AND colour doesn't suit)

(I know it was done out of all the beta testers bitching about D3 being too colourfull and about rainbows :D)

But its the subject matter in the scene that has determined the hue and colour treatment overlays in the scene.

Same as the first and third screen are treated differently from one another.

Muted earthy tones on the plagued land... and ocean blue hues with a slight mist in a dark cold dungeon.

It it complements the subject matter according to the landscape and the mood that the designers wanted for that level.

Varying this mood via colour/hue and atmosphere effects will give the game much more immersion.

For example, being in a forest could give off a more aqua hue, being on an open plane could give off a more earthy hue.

Being in churno or electro could give off a more cold grey blue hue against the concrete buildings, the open medows could be a little more yellow/green.

Mountains in the distance could give a more blue green hue.

When its overcast it could be alot more dull, when the sun is at mid day it could be bright and a little more vibrant

when the sun is setting, it could be alot more red/orange/yellow/... when its night it could be alot colder looking with deep blues.

The defaults for arma 2 are boring and constant, doesn't feel like that final polish.

If everything is like that all the time it would get boring fast... similar with the colors, i don't know if you get out of your house much, but colors in nature are actually fairly bright. I do think though the things you mention should be integrated into the day/night/weather cycle. The fog/dew is cool, but only realy makes sense in the morning, evening and night, esp. when it's sunny fog clears like fast, similar when it rains. The hue should also change based on the time of day, and perhaps even based upon the 'passed weather' (if it's hot for a while and thus dusty sand clods everywhere and grass dries out), and in the evening/morning colortones can be a bit more reduced due to lack of sun... coolest would realy be if they had seasonal changes, then your two ideas would go great with summer and prolongued drought for the color. and mist for spring/autumn. But if you realy want mist i think some seasons should realy have 50m view mists at times...