DinMetal

defibrillator in the game.

Suggest to add a modification of the DayZ defibrillator, to for example: the player back to life, which is dead no more than seven minutes, for example - while there is a well Tipo clinical death, or instead of 7 minutes 30 seconds set.

Edited by DinMetal

I don't like the idea of "reviving" a dead player. Dead is dead, in my mind. Not to mention, you would need a hell of a lot more than just a defibrillator to revive a clinically dead person.

Or instead of just being "7 Minutes" it should also have a maximum amount of negative blood just so you make sure they are dead bandit wise. Lets say if you are at -10000 blood or below you can't be defib'd

Would subtly add in another "teamplay" element.

Or instead of just being "7 Minutes" it should also have a maximum amount of negative blood just so you make sure they are dead bandit wise. Lets say if you are at -10000 blood or below you can't be defib'd

Would subtly add in another "teamplay" element.

Well, I think you can put a restriction of blood - such as not less than 200.

I think it'd take away from the punishing atmosphere of the game, if people could just run around reviving dead allies.

• Like 2

Wait, so if you bleed out completely, to the point where your heart is unable to pump any more due to lack of fluid, then applying a strong electric shock will somehow help it?

For reference, IRL you'd go into cardiac arrest at 7200/12000 blood, and you'd require an emergency injection of blood to raise it up above that level before a defibrillator would be of any use.

The blood mechanic already encourages team-play -- down at 2000/12000 blood you're basically already dead unless you've got friends with you.

• Like 1

The defibrillator is a great idea, but it needs to be expanded on to better sort out the balancing of the game mechanics.

First off, we need to clean up some of the medical actions in the game.

Epi-Pens and Morphine injectors. I don't think its fair that players can hold 10 and 5 round clips for the M107 and AS50 when one bullet from a clip is the same size of a Epi-Pen or Auto-injector. It would be nice if they stacked or could be placed in a medical bag, similar to the the space where hand gun ammo, m203 grenades, and bandages go, but separate. No, this would not make finding them any easier, just storing them less of a hassle.

Then there is the defibrillator, is it one use? or a tool? or some thing that can go into your medical bag?

And finally, we get to how it works. The situation is, your buddy's and you are hanging out at North West Airfield and the group happens apon another group. Fighting breaks out and your group comes out on top, but sadly one man down. Thankfully, it wasn't the medic, but now you have to revive your slain friend. Your buddy was shot, But instead of the "You are Dead" screen we all know and love, he is met with that green hour glass only it is red. So, in the time he got shot to the time the fight ended he was looking at the "red" hourglass waiting to see if his buddies made it through the fight before it runs out. The team was quick in its extermination of the other team and back in time to save "Buddy". Now you can't just use the defib and he will be up and ready to fight another day, you have to perform triage.

First, you have to Put the defibrillator down and let it charge, noted by the high pitch charging sound. (Takes about a min)

Second, while you are waiting, tend to his wounds. Bandage the poor guy.

Third, give him a blood bag, he bled out during the fire fight, he needs to be topped off.

Forth, administer adrenaline to get his heart going.

Finally, the defib is charged, use it. That will put his heart in sinus rhythm and bring "Buddy" out of the "Red" Hourglass State.

If all this is done before the "Red" Hourglass counts down then "Buddy" gets to live to fight another day. If the "red" hourglass counts down, or if he chooses to just die (a option that needs to be added on all hourglass screens) he will be greeted with the "You are Dead" screen. Some consideration can be made on whether he can be revived from certain situations like; Did he get a head shot? Was he sick before he was shot? Bandit or no? What Ever.

Understanding the sheer amount of effort to revive a person, and the spawn rates of the needed items, mixed with the need for them out side of reviving players, one could keep this idea from being to over powered.

There are currently 4 reply's written by me that go into extreme detail about the mechanics and balancing of the defibrillator mechanic, please scroll through the entire forum post and read the commits written by me, or with the "Zombie Bait" avatar to there left as I have done my best to address the remarks and issues brought up by survivors against this idea.

The reply's include:

0 blood equals death mechanic

the defibrillator doesn't do that in real life

its too over powered of a mechanic

this isn't bf3, wow, l4d, insert game with defibrillators in it

where is the realism

Edited by MysticViperX
  • Like 4

no defib the game really isnt that hard to live once you get know what you can and cant get away with also i always hated battlefield bad company 2 for their cheazy defib revives.

Defibs = Shit.

With a defib you would turn DayZ into L4D!!!

How the hell would a defib help restoring heart beat on a heart exploded by a gunshot?? No way!!

And how the hell would a defib help if your head got exploded by a 7.65 bullet? No way!!

The blood mechanics are pretty unrealistic right now, but are viable for the game to move on.

Actually, as ActionMan saidbefore, the defibs won't help if you have no blood in your veins.

And what about Brain Death? NO F*CKING WAY!! Or are you Frankenstein?

• Like 1

Not gona happen. like they said dead is dead it's fine atm.

The defibrillator is a great idea, but it needs to be expanded on to better sort out the balancing of the game mechanics.

First off, we need to clean up some of the medical actions in the game.

Epi-Pens and Morphine injectors. I don't think its fair that players can hold 10 and 5 round clips for the M107 and AS50 when one bullet from a clip is the same size of a Epi-Pen or Auto-injector. It would be nice if they stacked or could be placed in a medical bag, similar to the the space where hand gun ammo, m203 grenades, and bandages go, but separate. No, this would not make finding them any easier, just storing them less of a hassle.

Then there is the defibrillator, is it one use? or a tool? or some thing that can go into your medical bag?

And finally, we get to how it works. The situation is, your buddy's and you are hanging out at North West Airfield and the group happens apon another group. Fighting breaks out and your group comes out on top, but sadly one man down. Thankfully, it wasn't the medic, but now you have to revive your slain friend. Your buddy was shot, But instead of the "You are Dead" screen we all know and love, he is met with that green hour glass only it is red. So, in the time he got shot to the time the fight ended he was looking at the "red" hourglass waiting to see if his buddies made it through the fight before it runs out. The team was quick in it extermination of the other team and back in time to save "Buddy". Now you can't just use the defib and he will be up and ready to fight another day, you have to perform triage.

First, you have to Put the defibrillator down and let it charge, noted by the high pitch charging sound. (Takes about a min)

Second, while you are waiting, tend to his wounds. Bandage the poor guy.

Third, give him a blood bag, he bled out during the fire fight, he needs to be topped off.

Forth, administer adrenaline to get his heart going.

Finally, the defib is charged, use it. That will put his hear in sinus rhythm and bring "Buddy" out of the "Red" Hourglass State.

If all this is done before the "Red" Hourglass counts down then "Buddy" gets to live to fight another day. If the "red" hourglass counts down, or if he chooses to just die (a option that needs to be added on all hourglass screens) he will be greeted with the "You are Dead" screen. Some consideration can be made on whether he can be revived from certain situations like; Did he get a head shot? Was he sick before he was shot? Bandit or no? What Ever.

Understanding the sheer amount of effort to revive a person, and the spawn rates of the needed items, mixed with the need for them out side of reviving players, one could keep this idea from being to over powered.

Your idea is almost good.

But no, it won't work.

(I hate to use this acronym)IRL, you have a few minutes, maybe seconds to apply epi. on a person's heart and try to defib him.

After the heart stops there are only a little time left until the brain cells start dying by the lack of Oxygen.

I watched a few attempts of "reanimation", and only fewer succeded. It's not a guaranteed process, and are even less guaranteed when the issue is a serious gunshot wound where most of the internal tissues were heavly dmged.

However, if this game would take the realism to the blood stuff, any bloodbag would be even possible, since it perishes in a really short period, and, all of us have different blood types, making it impossible to make ordinary transfusions. =)

I just do not agree with player reanimation because it would ruin even more the game. Just it.

B-B-B-BUT IT WOULD RUIN THE REAAAALISM. I WANT REALISM IN MY GAME ABOUT FICTIONAL ZOMBIES.

Holy shit, you guys are terrible. Go ahead and keep saying things like "It would take more than just a defib to bring someone back to life" but in REALITY, a simple bandage won't save you from a bullet wound either, due to possible infections or internal damage. But no, I guess its fine that a bandage can heal ALL horribly-bleeding gunshot wounds. Realism at its finest.

And anyone who says "This isn't [insert game name here]" is 12 and afraid of change.

I thought about writing up a good, defibrillator review last night... being harse and time consuming for people that use it, but allowing the benefit for a teammate to be back on their feet. But when it comes down to it, I don't want to catch a bandits buddy sniping on a building.. walk all the way over there and have him revived...

We may not get this option now, but what will Arma 3 bring to the table??

• Like 1

I thought about writing up a good, defibrillator review last night... being harse and time consuming for people that use it, but allowing the benefit for a teammate to be back on their feet. But when it comes down to it, I don't want to catch a bandits buddy sniping on a building.. walk all the way over there and have him revived...

We may not get this option now, but what will Arma 3 bring to the table??

it wont be defibrillators, as the primary cause of death in combat is Hypovolemia, and defibrillators wont really help people that doesn't have any blood left for the already stopped heart to pump ;)

• Like 1

Oh it is this thread again, seriously there is a thing called a search bar. But anyway to copy my reply from the other 2 threads I have seen in the past week on this subject;

Unless you are having a heart attack, using a defibrillator is going to kill you. Despite what media would have you believe, it is not a magic cure all. It basically only works if you heart is quivering irregularly (fibrillation) by forcing the heart to momentarily stop so it can resume a normal rhythm by itself.

If you get shot enough to die and thus warrant some kind of resurrection, you are going to need a trained trauma team, a fully equipped surgery room to have any chance. I don't think this fits in with the atmosphere of the mod at all. In an otherwise mostly "realistic" and harsh world an almost pseudo magically item to bring you back to life after suffering multiple bullet wounds or zombie bites seems incredibly out of place.

Edited by Madfast

B-B-B-BUT IT WOULD RUIN THE REAAAALISM. I WANT REALISM IN MY GAME ABOUT FICTIONAL ZOMBIES.

Holy shit, you guys are terrible....

You missed the part where (1) it doesn't fit with the "realism-inspired" blood-based health system, AND (2) there is already a freaking revive mechanic so defib is redundant.

At 1/12000 blood you are already "dead", ok?

* You still need your friends to come and save you at that point, and there's no realistic 3 minute timer to race against!

* Assuming you've used the "pause injury" button (i.e. bandage), they can take as long as they like to revive you!

* You even get to be concious most of the time while your brain is being starved of oxygen (but contrary to realism, doesn't rot)!

The "REALISM"-based unrealistic medical system already implements the feature that's being asked for, so adding a defib either means:

* Replace the existing system with BF3-style death/revive, where defib within 10 seconds = infinite lives. Seems too fast paced for a game this slow-paced, you'd never get to your friends in time if not right next to them, and in that case, the existing system still works fine.

* Add an extra requirement to using a blood-bag that the target has to be "dead" (<2k blood), and you need to posses a new defib tool to use it.

...and both of those do nothing to improve the game experience for me. It just makes it harder to revive someone.

And anyone who says "This isn't [insert game name here]" is 12 and afraid of change.
No, it's the people who demand that DayZ copy systems straight out of [insert game name here] that are afraid of change. You're suggesting the replacement of game rules that you've not even learn to play by yet. Edited by ActionMan

i feel that this is a bad idea, but it brings up another idea. what about faking death? i have been shot at before, by a sniper who is missing, but pretty close. what if i could just fall over, and start the death animation cycle. a good sniper will of course shoot again, and such. but it will draw some players in, and that would be a great moment. when he goes to loot the body and suddenly the other player shoots back.

this of course, realistically, would be a hail mary play. but it is a survival situation, and if the player keeps his head to time the fake right while being shot at and moving, then it could be fun.

• Like 1

Let's think like this. If you have your blood volume lower than certain amount, you're dead. First, body dead, and after several minutes, brain dead. To perform the reviving, one must give blood transfusion while defibrillating. Not a bad idea for reviving people who just died under than certain amount of minute. Headshot or some other severe injury is instant death, though.

Let's think like this. If you have your blood volume lower than certain amount, you're dead. First, body dead, and after several minutes, brain dead. To perform the reviving, one must give blood transfusion while defibrillating. Not a bad idea for reviving people who just died under than certain amount of minute. Headshot or some other severe injury is instant death, though.

this is an interesting idea. i could see this being sort of fun, like another unconscious variable. blood, bandage, defib. something to get the blood going again. Realism aside, this is what i personally would want, and wish, i could do in this sort of world. help my friend who is shot down. Arma 2 has an interesting mechanic for this itself, shot down but not dead. could be helped up.

people whom die need to stay dead, think about it unless your like right near the person when they pass you wouldn't be able to bring them back and if you did pending on how long their brain was inactive the person or player would be brain damaged.

Edited by G i i w e d i n