skyter

Post apacolyptic greifing simulator for D-bags

The butthurt, is strong with this one.

Also if you don't want to get shot, then you should consider shooting first. If not, then cry me a river.

Oh and another thing, a key factor in this game is realism. Thats how things would go down if this happened in real life, whether you believe or not.

Tissue?

And whether you believe it or not, that's not how things would go down. Realism is out the window considering it's a zombie apocalypse game and there is no such thing as a zombie. Do we understand yet?

Humans, on the brink of extinction, would kill themselves off? How ludicrous is that? Would there be some people who would betray you? Sure. Though I know that killing someone else for no reason is not something that most humans will do. If zombies truly are a serious threat, enough to threaten extinction, most people would work together to survive and potentially find a cure to the disease. Thinking everyone would shoot each other no matter the circumstances is a thought process that points to idiocy. Realism? Guess, what, we don't respawn in real life. Things would be completely different.

Realism this, realism that. If this game were a realistic zombie simulator, almost nobody would intentionally seek out pvp because they would be too scared that the other guy would win and they would be dead forever. Nobody would ever stockpile loot for the next life because there isn't one. People would band together for protection because the best safety is to be found in large numbers.

This is a game that is very intentionally and strongly unrealistic. We all realize that, right? What should matter is what allows the game to be as successful and fun as it can be. I feel like there are people in here that get a nice big ego stroke from feeling like they're some kind of hardass zombie survivor who'd be totally fine in a zombie apocalypse because they play a "realistic" game, and that people making it easier will take away the thing that's making themselves feel good about themselves.

Okay listen, this is going far off topic but I'll take my stand. Your point is valid and logical and I can now see it in the other guys post. Let's end this crap. And i'm sorry...

On Topic:

To be honest, you guys are idiots if you think its right to force other plays to play the same play style as you, even if its the most moral and "correct", in your opinion, way to play. Your no better than the bandits who force you to play they way they do, which, lets not beat around the bush here, is not what they even do. They play the game how they want to play it and they don't tell anyone else how to play it or try to enforce rules to play their way. What it comes down to is that just a bunch of people who are generally killed a lot because they were foolish in their attempts to meet another survivor or were running through Elektro in the middle of night holding on to a flare raging because they lost their gear due to stupidity( and won't admit it ). It's completely your choice to choose to help someone and to say some other gamer from anywhere on the world influences your decision is complete crap.

The general subject of this 19-page thread has revolved around the way that the current state of the game, namely kill-on-sight mentalities and murder for murder's sake, prevents people from playing in any other way. This is implying that even though they don't say "Hay gaiz play liek all of us!" they're still forcing a playstyle by their actions. By what you have already said it's a difficult decision, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you read at least one other post in the thread beyond the OP's. In doing so you should have seen at least one statement alleging this connection. If you just disagree with all of those things that have been said, please by all means post a counter-argument. I would love to read it.

If however, you really did read any of the arguments that have been made about how rampant murder is not conducive to cooperative dynamics and generally overpowering any attempts to play in a different fashion, and furthermore you understand these arguments without any logic to refute them, then you're basically saying:

1) I know what I'm doing is restrictive to other people's freedom (and more importantly, not a retaliation but an instigation)

2) You can't stop me because that would be restrictive to my freedom.

...I thought you said you understood the slavery analogy?

Sapience.

I also never suggested that we don't have "that instinct" as well. We have it in addition to the animalistic traits we share with other creatures. We're animals with the ability to rise above our baseness if we choose. The greater benefits for struggling to ascend above our coarser natures are typically more readily apparent (i.e. civilization, law, order, etc.) to the educated people I referenced.

This is why I don't follow the rest of what you're trying to say with your analogy concerning the people that are equipped as being "educated." I'm well equipped with gear, but I don't needlessly prey on others; so I don't know what that makes me in your system.

The people that prey on the noobs do so either: as you said, out of boredom, because they lack the imagination to invent their own new forms of fun in a true sandbox environment, or because they'd rather kill you for your loot than collect it themselves (i.e. the rare real bandits).

The people in the last category exist today, but there would be many more like them in an apocalyptic "everything's fucked" scenario.

If I were to judge based on the number of forum complaints I've read, it seems like 85% of the playerbase is unaware of the larger map that exists outside Cherno/Elektro and are eternally caught up in a hybrid Promethean/Sisyphean cycle of perpetual respawning and death in these two cities.

While I may still disagree in some respects, I think I understand now what you mean.

People deal with temperature in vastly different ways. There are guys who can sit in the snow naked and be perfectly fine, and people who get hypothermia in a little bit of rain. Does that mean we shouldn't use temperature in a mechanic? People have different metabolisms and differ in the time they can go without eating, does that mean we shouldn't use hunger in a mechanic? People differ in how long they can run, does that mean everyone in the game should walk? People differ in how much they can withstand pain, does that mean we shouldn't use a pain mechanic? People are vastly different from one another in tons of ways, but that rarely stops game developers from using these traits as game mechanics. I would say that people are probably more similar to each other in how well they deal with loneliness than in how they deal with endurance sprinting.

Okay, so you agree that a loneliness mechanic is an okay idea as long as it's fully thought out and other things change to make it work? Great! We agree then. I never said my ideas for how the mechanic could work are the only ideas there could be, I just threw out some random ideas as they came to my head. Of course Rocket would be able to do a far better job with it than my random musings. I'm only brainstorming general directions solutions can come from, not fully fleshed out game mechanics that need to be implemented perfectly or ignored.

I don't see a problem with a loneliness mechanic in this game, because I like rpg-type games and I generally want to coop in something like this. That doesn't mean it's best for the game though, and I think there are a great deal more options that would be better choices. A psych profile would make a great addition for roleplayers but it would need to be toggle-able per server or something of the like, and I would be very surprised and possibly even disappointed if it became the "normal" way the game was played.

Yes people are vastly different in tons of different ways, but not nearly so much as psychologically. Every character being the same height/weight doesn't make any sense, but the majority of adult humans do average out to pretty standard proportions all things considered (I still think being able to customize your skin/model would be superawesome). Sprint speed is the same way. Almost everyone exhibits a fairly typical gait when "running" and everyone except the elite and the sedentary again fit into relatively normal distributions. Temperature is not something that people do differently unless it's a function of weight/composition. Those guys that do polar plunges are risking their systems just as much as I would if I were to jump in, they're just reacting different psychologically. You can't mentally control hypothermia unless you're again one of those people that sits as a distant outlier to the population. Loneliness doesn't really have the same scale. We have meters, kilograms, meters/second, and degrees for all the others but we can't quantify loneliness.

That and I just tend to think that apart from roleplaying, psychology is sort of what you're supposed to bring yourself. A game that tracks your character's emotions and decides for you how you should be feeling would probably come across as obnoxiously as making you walk in different directions. "You are scared, you cannot open ominous doors when you're scared." Hyperbole of course, but to illustrate my point...

It's a fine line for sure. I love the idea of pounding heartbeats, hyperventilating, and maybe even slightly different vision as a result of panic or alarm from nearby gunshots or very close zombie growls. I guess in the long run my stance would be on the fence. I really don't know, but thankfully, it's alpha right? Who knows, might be the way of the future for games.

Edited by SmokeytheBear

No surprise this died. Maybe it was curgon's intention.

Is page 17* the longest thread page in the forum, or is it just me? My finger hurts from scrolling down that bad boy.

Edited by Sumdum

The butthurt, is strong with this one.

Also if you don't want to get shot, then you should consider shooting first. If not, then cry me a river.

Oh and another thing, a key factor in this game is realism. Thats how things would go down if this happened in real life, whether you believe or not.

Tissue?

You're saying that if humanity were on the brink of extinction from a zombie apocalypse, that the few remaining humans would run around shooting each other in the face and saying cry me a river? OP was correct, you are what is wrong with this game. Coincidentally, you are also a retard.

I wish people would stop calling themselves retards as an insult. I bet there's tons of people with learning disabilities who are smarter than the people who have these insults aimed at them. :P

To that I say: You're exactly what's wrong with the game. You're forcing an entire community to play one specific style in a sandbox game or suffer because they don't. This game will die out soon after the newness is gone and people realize zombies are almost an after thought to people playing at this point.

This. Not everybody has to be friendly, but things got out of hand. People complain that friendlies want to force a playstyle on them. However I already get forced into the shoot on sight mentality. It's absurd. This is a game breaker. I hope rocket puts in more elements that encourage teamplay. Not so much punishment for killing.

This. Not everybody has to be friendly, but things got out of hand. People complain that friendlies want to force a playstyle on them. However I already get forced into the shoot on sight mentality. It's absurd. This is a game breaker. I hope rocket puts in more elements that encourage teamplay. Not so much punishment for killing.

You can't dictate to the dictator because dictating is wrong. That's essentially what KoS players are saying.

Edited by Virfortis

It's just like eve. Except here, there's no relatively safe area. all the rules are the same everywhere. There's no way to communicate with people who are looking for groups except the forums. This game is very metagame heavy, especially right now while bugs are being worked out with all the exploits.

Like Eve, you have carebears who think the PVE is the point of the game, and PVP that happens is accidental. You have the gankers, who will never take a fair fight, are only killing you for the loot, or since apparently high end loot isnt that rare in this game, the little kill counter in the top corner. You have solo players, who either can't understand why 1 isnt greater than 10, or accept the challenge, and die a lot, but have fun bettering themselves.

All the former categories of players are honest. Then you have the dispicable. There's two types of these.

The cheaters. Well they cheat. Script kiddies who somehow enjoy taking the fun out of the game for themselves, and others. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Good thing this is at least against the rules so that they can be removed as much as possible.

Then there's the liars. This is allowed, however frustrating it may be. These things have never happened to me in this game yet, but I can imagine the anger. Disarming a stranger with "friendly" then betraying them? Wheres the skill in that? What makes it fun? These are akin to Awoxers and corp thieves in eve.

Except that in Eve, shit's usually personal. Here, the anonymity fucks it up. I can't hunt down someone for sniping me if i dont know his name. There's no means of retribution. Even if I find out his name, i have to server hop to find them. According to the mechanics of the metagame, being an asshole is pretty much the safest way to go. Long range guns, and no friends made inside game to backstab you. Only clanmates or guild members from other games can possibly be trusted. Even then, if this game evolves enough in the wrong direction, your loot may become more valuable than your friendship.

I have to agree with the original poster. I mentioned this elsewhere but it applies here too. The problem I'm having with PvP in this game is that it's literally killing the realism of the simulation for me. The irony being that it was probably included to make said simulation more realistic. Unfortunately, there are two things working against this: the environment of the internet and the way players typically treat other players on it.

There is no doubt in my mind that survivors of a "real" (hah) zombie apocalypse would be riddled with their share of psychos and purely evil folk who are only out to do others harm. Unfortunately, DayZ has more than it's fair share of those types of misfits. I tend to believe that if humanity were actually in a situation like this, then the remaining survivors would be rallying with other survivors (even if only to increase their odds of survival) instead of hunting one another down. Survivors, I think, would be working to rebuild, not working to terminate one another.

Too many players kill other players in this game for the lulz and for the loot. Hey, if making another player's internet existance miserable is entertainment to you, then have at it. But garbage like that isn't helping to make DayZ an appealing simulation of a zombie apocalypse. It just makes it a playground for griefers.

The developer prefers to think of DayZ as an experiment instead of a game. And I think that's too bad, because it really could be a fun game (maybe the right way of saying that is "a different kind of fun", since we all know the griefers are having fun). However, I'm not sure it makes for a very good experiment. What exactly is being tested here? If the goal is to see how the players interact with one another in this virtual environment, I'll go ahead and save you some time - most of the time they will be jerks to one another, and players who can really help bring this simulation to life will be driven off one by one.

To have a really interesting experiment we need more tools. If you (for example) allow players to retake some of the towns, prevent the random respawning of zombies in the area the players dominate, allow survivors the opportunity to try and win back the map.. then you might start seeing some really interesting gameplay. You might see (for example) players take up residence and do nothing but barter goods within these towns. Raiding parties that go out to zombie infested settlements to recover supplies for their village. Militias forming that keep the villages safe from zombie horde attacks. Nomads who brave the wilds to exchange goods between villages. But you're not ever going to have things like that if a player has the option of killing another player. While that may be more "realistic", that type of realism doesn't work on the internet. Because if you give a player the ability to kill another player with virtually no consequence, then most will do it without a second thought, for all the kinds of reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the setting of your game.

I'm not saying PvP has no place in DayZ, only that it needs to be much more controlled so that it better simulates how a scenario like this would likely work. If you want a really interesting experiment (since this seems to be all about that), release a version of DayZ like the one described above, keep the one we currently have, and see which one players end up ultimately flocking to.

Edited by FVin

20 pages when all it takes to realize is that, virtual lives have no value, yes in a real life apocalypse zombie or not, for the most part the chances of you being in your home area is probably pretty great unless you travel every day, so there's that, your not likely to go around, at least initially, gunning down your neighbours for their cupboards full of beans and spaghetti hoops, in most cases finding a person that isn't a zombie (in a zombie apocalypse) would be a godsend, in game your not going to be spending the rest of your potentially short existence with anyone you meet, you can barely communicate with them and making friends in a 2 or 3 hour play session is not something everyone is willing to do.

if you chew on all that, yes DayZ is a deathmatch, what did you expect? .. now go log into your favorite mmo, /w friends list, 'hey ppl buy dayz and group up with me so i won't keep getting out gunned' .. and its no longer a boring solo gank fest. the only way this was going to work is if ppl outside of the game group up, it does happen in game, although its grown a lot since its inception the community has reflected the fact that it really isn't a desolate world populated mostly by npcs with a penchant for zigzagging, but a myriad of different worlds populated by loot hungry FPS gamers who like to mix their FPS's with their RPG's 2 genres with usually high personal goals, get lewt get kills get epeen etc etc.

i think ppl should keep throwing ideas into the suggestion forum, there are many things that could be added to the game to spice up the PVE and make the game not all about the PVP.

instead of penalizing ppl who want to PVP make real incentives for grouping up and partaking in group PVE. if there were certain tasks or objectives that can only be accomplished with 2, 3 or more players, grouping up suddenly has value. especially if you know where something is and you have no current group. (vehicles are a good first step but this concept should be expanded upon immensely. they are far too sparse for them to be considered as an incentive currently.)

Edited by Phill

"Killed 2 times by falling into the ground, causing broken bones and massive bleeds

Killed 1 time by vaulting , getting stuck in the object and the game having a seizure.

Killed 1 time by a door opening inward on me.

Killed 1 time by spawning on top of another player.

Spawned 5 times at full health, in shock and unconscious for a 3 minute wait with a blurred screen."

some guys just have all the luck.. oorr just suck...

• Like 1

Even in the basest forms of carbon based life there are rules and orders and hierarchies. When these "phenomenon of order" cease to exist the host organisms self destruct. It's naive to think even a virtual world could survive for any extended period without some semblance of class, hierarchy and rules. No known organic system has ever subsisted without these things. They quickly devolve into chaos and self destruct. I'm just sayin' ;).

• Like 2

The Rocket-Machinma Livestream Interview completely justifies this thread. Subtle Hero & Bandit skin morphs...

All is happy, disperse.

Edited by skyter

can't imagine why you got banned for spam.

really.

not for the life of me!

Please look up the definition of spam. It isn't just saying something you disagree with.

:lol:

Please look up the definition of spam. It isn't just saying something you disagree with.

:lol:

See; Social Spam.

This may include commercial spam, bulk submissions, user-submitted profanity, insults, threats, hate speech, leaked personally identifiable information, or malicious links.

Edited by DrewDubious

See; Social Spam.

This may include commercial spam, bulk submissions, user-submitted profanity, insults, threats, hate speech, leaked personally identifiable information, or malicious links.

Where is the advertisement, bulk submission, profanity, insult, threat, hate speech, leaked info, or malicious link in this thread?

:huh:

Where is the advertisement, bulk submission, profanity, insult, threat, hate speech, leaked info, or malicious link in this thread?

:huh:

Well, I would qualify your post as profanity at least. But I wouldn't ask me, I am not the one who banned you.

The Rocket-Machinma Livestream Interview completely justifies this thread. Subtle Hero & Bandit skin morphs...

AFAIK that podcast runs nearly two hours, can anyone tell me at which time they're talking about that and perhaps post a direct link to the video?