Sign in to follow this  
the_wakeful

Zombie respawn time?

Last night I was playing with a friend and finally had a bit of luck with loot. I found a hatchet in a barn, and some gear in a deer stand, and went into a building to get some more gear. I killed the 2 zombies in the building quite easily with the hatchet. Then 2 more (with the same character model) spawned right there. I killed them as well, and 2 more popped up. By this time there was a large pile of bodies on the floor and the loot didn't look that good so I ran away. What is the zombie respawn suppose to be, and has anyone else seen this happen?

Thanks

That happens to me a lot, but I don't think there is a zombie respawn time.

Seems to happen to me a lot in these wooden one-entrance low-loot buildings and at deer stands. Pretty annoying and unrealistic feeling.

Yeah, I've seen it a few times, once one of the insta-spawns even knocked me out in one hit. It seems like there are 2 or more bugs here though, one is zombie spawn rate, I've seen zombies spawn as you described, one after another, even without killing them they just keep spawning in the same location until there are 10 or so Zombies all shambling out of the same space. The other is zombie spawn distance, zombies aren't supposed to spawn within x distance of a player (where x is a number I'm too lazy to look up), but as you said zombies will spawn in the same room as a player. Both of these bugs seem to happen more frequently indoors but zombie spawn rate in general seems to be faster than one would expect.

Ya, it's wierd. What I have gathered, is that the zeds spawn in all in one spot then get teleported to their real spots. I'm not sure why it is done this way though. Seems to me like this would take more resources then just spawning them in the places you want them to begine with. It's not like they are hiding the spawns, at least not any more with the latest patch. For a while it was. Way less zeds spawning in your LoS, but now it's back to Star Trek spawns. =(

I too have noticed the insta-tele-spawn effect. The only good thing about it is that you can tell when new zeds have spawned around the building, even when you can't see where. It definitely detracts from the immersion factor. The main thing that peeves me about it is that it makes it slightly difficult to scout ahead when your intel goes to shit because of continuous insta-spawning. That and the fact that it is a little hard for one loner to get in, loot, and get out again, even in remote, isolated buildings; particularly when you start out.

Do we know if the spawn rate is due to the base mod, or set by the server admin? I just wonder if some server admins try to bump up total zombie counts by increasing the spawn rate.

Edited by Hoogley

Happened to me too. I have been looting a shed near a factory, when zombie appeared out of thin air right next to me. The same kind of thing about an half an hour later, in something like woodcutter's hut. Pretty annoying, considered that it bites you straight away and there is no way of avoiding the damage.