Sign in to follow this  
problematique

Defenseless in a Hostile World

I just got ArmA 2: OA, and i heard that DayZ is one of the best mods out there for the game. So i got it.

Now, i had no issues starting DayZ, but i am having a problem continuing playing it. I die too much because of early zombie attacks, and/or thirst and starvation looking for a defensive weapon. Im sure this is just part of the realism of the game, but it would be very nice for brand new players to start out with something at least to ward off hostile threats.

-Gun with 1 mag.

-Knife

-Rocks

-Punching with fists

-knocking down the zombies via hands or feet

-Oh and i noticed Zombies walk through doors. That doesnt help much either if your trying to get away with nothing to defend yourself.

-Perhaps new players should start with a little bit of water or soda to keep them going at least.

-I like the Hatchet, thats really nice to get your hands on, but i think the hunting knife should also be used for defense.

-Zombies or wolves or other hostile creatures should spawn in the forests, that will make those eerie places even more scary.

-Random camps (campfires in the forest) should be placed around the continent that have some vital things like food or water, maybe ammo.

Guns are too scarce if you dont know where to look, and new players dont know where to find much at all, so making gear caches more common would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else have the same ideas as me?

Until the next post,

-Problematique

Being able to push zombies to the ground would be a great mechanic for the beginning, and good for giggles later on. Starting with guns would just breed what we call the "Beanwars" were frsh spawns turned the beaches into Normandy trying to steal each others supplies, so that's been proven not to work. I'm sure things like random campsites in the forest will be implemented later on, as it's a fairly obvious thing to do. If you're still having trouble gearing up, PM me and I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

• Like 1

The problem is, when people spawned with weapons, it was a slaughterhouse on the beach. You couldn't get off. And it may seem hard now, but later finding loot is MUCH MUCH easier when you know where to look. It's just a steep learning curve. Look up some vids on youtube.

• Like 1

I like the idea of fist attacks.

the starting gun was removed cos people were just killing each other at the spawn points every 2 mins.

you can throw cans

the doors problem is an ongoing argument look at other threads.

a wildlife element is being looked at according to Rockets Razzed interview.

putting food supply's in forests would just eliminate all the risk in survival and make the game too easy.

there is a gun in most barns

• Like 1

You're new to this world and when you'll figure out how it works, where to go, you wont have any trouble to have the minimal long time surviving gears. Next problem will be other players. I suggest you dont look videos or websites for learning things ( some points are not easy to get like tent pitching, so i looked a video how to do it ), it feels great to discover things himself.

You'll see after some times that guns and basic rifles are way too easy to get regarding the background story. There's some suggestion/debat about this fact.

Other things are already on dev hands and they work on it.

Edited by Gunnm
  • Like 1