Sign in to follow this  
Mosiph420

Devolution of DayZ

So seeing as how Admins have no powers against Bandits and that banditry is at a all time high (around 99.9%) I see the genre of this game being set in stone as first/third person shooter that has no higher aspects then survival of the fittest. Well not even fittest since there are jumpers, disconnecters, dupers, campers, spawn killers, and the such. The PvP scope of this game has limited it to this due to non-recognition of friend/foe (Bandit skins), non-communication (disabled side chat or teamspeak being listened in on), and lack of adminstrative powers (You pay for a server and maintain it but have no actual power. Needless to say your ownership can be revoked if you flex adminstrative powers). Would it be possible to filter password protected servers and making it where you spawn a different life? I saw this happen w/ the 1.7.2 update when trying to join a 1.7.1.5 server. Or how bout hosting servers not on the main hive database but a side one that may cost more money? I would pay extra in order to run a server where me and mine could build. This could even lead to the organization of litched battles between factions I set up personally on my server. And yes it would be for your viewing pleasure on youtube. It would also be a positive externality to Rocket in which he wouldnt have to pay for advertising. I personally built MineCraft wonders when I played MC. And I see the creative potential in DayZ if only I didnt have to worry about the PvP side of this game. It may be what it was intended for but it could be so much more

This game would be nothing without PvP.

That being said, the current "let's get high powered sniper rifles and shoot people on the coast" is pretty reflective of a lack of things to do after you get past the learning curve.

• Like 2

It's shocking that the second half of that paragraph is actually intelligent and reasonable because the first half is absolute horseshit. I'm going to call it a draw.

But, seriously, Admins have power against Bandits? Why would they ever? Why should admins have power over anyone who plays the game besides those who are in violation of the rules? You're server admins, not game designers. If you don't like the game rocket has designed, why not just go host another one?

That off my chest, the notion of private servers isn't distasteful provided you stick to your own hives - though I find the whole thing kind of silly since the uncertainty of playing with strangers is kind of the heart and soul of the game from where I stand, but it's a "to each their own" situation. If you actually follow through with competitive private servers and FvF competitions, cool too. Though, I fail to see why that stuff isn't possible on public servers with some planning.

Anyway, drop the "99.9% Banditry" bunk and the "admins should be able to flex their power" and you might have a reasonable post here arguing for official recognition of the private server/private hive setup.

Most of the PvP isn't banditry, it's a more primal reaction to a percived outside "threat" (whether it really is or not) Also, boredom and lack of a compelling endgame (at this point) is a reason why people roam around greifing. As far as setting up your own server goes, I believe there are ways to do that. Just search for it on youtube. It won't be connected to the hive, but will be your own personal server to do with as you please.

The choice of words 'set in stone' made me chuckle considering that this game is unfinished.

Okay I understand that I didnt design the game but I still believe if you pay and maintain for a server in DayZ you should be able to do w/ it as you please. But I have altruistic motives in mind and I also understand others would abuse this. So back to the drawing board on that arguement. As for the the private servers could someone have more insight. Also how would I go bout contacting the right people to establish side hive databases for private servers on which you would have a different life and your inventory would be non-transferable. P.S. We will all be bandits one day.

True the game is unfinished but so far it seems as what was stated earlier. Thus the suggestion of this game being for what it is: A first/third person shooter of the most aggravating kind. I already drew up a scenario of a battle between Elektro factions and Cherno factions. Something of this nature could put DayZ beyond what I see now. Its basically, do I put 10x the time and effort conducting these things with random unsavoy people in my server. Or do I choose and pick with no fear of PvP while trying to organize this already arduous task.

Lol Krtshv yes this thread again. But from a different angle. Also not a full rant just a half this time. But it does have valid points and I would like feedback so please do comment

I see it this way... I'll test on all points and which ever one has more consensus to it I will roll with. Seems private servers or ones off the main hive could be a way. If anyone has more info on this send me a link please. Otherwise I'm going to bring up all aspects