Sign in to follow this  
V2_Danny

Bring Back The Side Channel

I would like to see the Side Channel return to DayZ. Whatever downsides there is to the concept, it is outbalanced by how much it improoves player interaction.

Back when the Side Channel was on nearly every server, you could tell by words, and reactions which people you could trust, and you could team up with people.

Since it has gotten removed PvP has increased tenfold, because there is NO chance of knowing what kind of person, or who it is that is running in the distance. Due to the lack of communication you shoot everyone on sight, and they will do the same. It does not mean that any of the two is a bandit, but they dont have a chance to trust each other.

Just re-implementing the Side Channel would fix a big deal of the problems of the game turning into a deathmatch, and drag it back to survival with other people. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

• Like 8

I would like to see the Side Channel return to DayZ. Whatever downsides there is to the concept, it is outbalanced by how much it improoves player interaction.

Back when the Side Channel was on nearly every server, you could tell by words, and reactions which people you could trust, and you could team up with people.

Since it has gotten removed PvP has increased tenfold, because there is NO chance of knowing what kind of person, or who it is that is running in the distance. Due to the lack of communication you shoot everyone on sight, and they will do the same. It does not mean that any of the two is a bandit, but they dont have a chance to trust each other.

Just re-implementing the Side Channel would fix a big deal of the problems of the game turning into a deathmatch, and drag it back to survival with other people. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

Maybe only for a little advanced players who have found a radio ingame.

Rocket is actually planning on re-adding side chat using radios in the future. That being said, some servers still have it enabled. -wink-

That's on the people not the game... is it not?

No. Less communication equals less teamwork, which leads to KoS.

Adding side chat in radio form is a great idea. It is completely realistic. Make them easy finds in buildings or maybe even spawn with them?

Edited by IDunc

No. Less communication equals less teamwork, which leads to KoS.

Adding side chat in radio form is a great idea. It is completely realistic. Make them easy finds in buildings or maybe even spawn with them?

lootable yes spawn with them no

I agree.

Limited communication -> less trust->more paranoia-> more killing.

Let anyone start with civilian radio which let anybody talk on (turnable) Global chat.

Add lootable military version which add more channels.

The communities of the servers suffer from no side/global chat. Thats a fact.

Based on my experience as a moderator of a very busy Minecraft server(the home of Precious Stones, Simple Clans, and Combat Tag). Even if you don't like or trust someone, they are part of the community too.

Being able to talk with everyone in a server community is critical as hell.

Bring it back, seriously.

Maybe have it be an option where veteran or hardcore servers can turn it off but seriously.

• Like 3

My favorite part about side chat was listening to a whole bunch of elitist, mouth-breathing nerds complaining to not talk in side chat.

I do wish the side channel back too. Since the Side Channel is away i regret that i bought arma 2 combined Operations for this Dayz Mod.

Why thank you DryGulch for your totally useless posting of a bad, overused, and overall retarded meme picture instead of actually adding anything constructive to the discussion.

As the community of DayZ grows there will be new blood coming in with new ideas, desires, etc and they cannot be discounted by the 'vets' of the community as some new rifraf in off the streets.

Ive actually pretty much stopped playing on public servers lately in large part to this. Yes yes, zombie apoc is supposed to be all gloom and doom and loneliness but ffs this is a game. There is very little point to the multiplayer if we can't talk to people; human beings desire such communication at a very base level.

And considering DayZ now has some competition in the future, if that other game brings in world/global/whatever chat then it would prove foolish of DayZ not to have it as it would be a major feature lacking.

"Oh...I cant find folks to play with cause I can't actually talk to anyone in the game unless they are within 50m of me and then there's a good likelihood that they will just kill me instead...great..Im so sold on this awesome non-feature"

• Like 1

I agree side channel seems to be the best way to find people to play with and makes the game a lot more fun. Please let admins have the choice if they want to enable it.

Edited by jps48