Sign in to follow this  
david6789

Suggestions for Dayz from a newbies prospective.......

First let me say I love the game. Its very well put together. And I know its just Alpha and lots of changes are in the works. I hope you find my suggestions informative and useful in future development.

Suggestions for Dayz from a newbies prospective:

1. Optional Tutorial

(Sort of like a basic training, teach the mechanics of the game)

2. Be able to run up hills

(It’s silly that I cannot run straight up a hill)

3. Names over player’s heads

(So we can identify who they are and if friend or foe)

4. Day and Night Cycles

(The nights are just to long! Maybe let the servers have a few option, such as shorter night cycles)

5. Allow zombies to run on docks

(Although I love being able to get away from zombies on docks it’s not realistic)

6. Death Message – Stating Who, What, Where and How you died

(Frustrating to just die and have no idea what happened)

7. When you first log in there is a Location message in the lower right corner, but it only last 2 secs.

(Make this message stay up for like 45secs so we can read it and look at a map)

8. When opening Inventory and then clicking on your bag I would like it to open a bag window.

(this would allow you to click and drag to moving things from your bag to main inventory slots)

Edited by david6789
  • Like 1

Posted your entire suggestion in black instead of automatic, so nobody can read it. Nice. Apparently a newbie's perspective is dark and confused.

Also, most of these suggestions are already either options or in the game. Try playing the game a bit before coming in here and talking about features.

Edited by Techercizer

1. Optional Tutorial

Run through the boot camp

You dont simply run up a steep hill

Some servers are noob friendly and enables nametags. Use DayZ commander to filter Nameplate servers.

4. Day and Night Cycles

The game was made to be realistic you could always join servers with other GMT.

You're talking realistic when the things you say on the first few points are not

Realism

7. When you first log in there is a Location message in the lower right corner, but it only last 2 secs.

2seconds is enough to get it to the back of your head

8. When opening Inventory and then clicking on your bag I would like it to open a bag window.

ARMA 2 enegine restriction you could make a new inventory system. But thats just not the prio

And no this is not posted to flame you.

Edited by baijiaqing
  • Like 2

Please do not flame me. I am simply adding my 2 cents.

If you don't want your two cents commented on by others, don't post them in a public area designed for feedback. You shouldn't be surprised that you've caught a little flack for jumping right into something and immediately trying to suggest ways to change it without taking the time to learn about it first.

Just take it in stride, learn a lesson from it, and lurk moar next time.

Edited by Techercizer

Personally I think there are enough Noob friendly servers that will certainly help with some of these issues, overall this game is designed to be a sim and realistic as such, so things like floating names and such would defeat the purpose.

Like other players I was plopped in Chernus and had to make my way, making it too easy would defeat the sense of reward you get from actually navigating here or there or learning new things.

jesus christ why would you write in white?

1. Optional Tutorial

No - play ARMA for the basics of control; the fear that your ignorance about the world and its systems engenders is vital to your initial expeience, and learning on the hoof gives DayZ a sense of accomplishment

No, run sidelways if you have to

Go cheat your ass off on the retard, sorry I mean 'recruit' servers

4. Day and Night Cycles

lul NO

Counts as a building for pathing, will be fixed when zeds' movement is cleaned up. For the time being don't use the exploit if you see it as an exploit.

Good God no

Scout more - I've never been killed by someone I, or my team, failed to spot, and I've nearly 300 hours played since the start of May

Good God No

look for road signs, learn to read a map or, you know, just remember to look for it

inventory is being worked on

Edited by Sandy

jesus christ why would you write in white?

I love the WHITE letters! DON'T YOU?? :P

"This game needs to be more like WoW" - That's the way I understood this thread.

Point 6 made me frustrated, please go back to CoD.

1. Exists

2. You can run up a hill until you reach a certain incline, just like IRL.

3. Do you have a name floating over your head IRL?

4. If you don't like playing at night join a day server.

5. It is a bug.

6. This would allow you to ghost the player that killed you. No thanks.

7. The message should be removed completely imo. You want this changed so your 3rd party resource is more useful. No.

8. It does do this, it just depends on how you interact with your inventory.

• Like 1

1) It's not so hard to pick up, even though I am an ArmA 2 vet, it only took like 1 week tops to learn the full millsim aspect of the game, DayZ is simplified in that sense.

2) I'd love to see you run full speed up a hill with gear for a prolonged period of time.

3) Waaaay too easy. Totally ruins the suprise aspect of attacks too.

4) It's meant to be semi-realistic in that sense - When it's dark, you can't just fast forward in real life, can you?

5) Well, this is a no brainer, it's not meant to be like so it's just a glitch.

6) No! I don't want to know who killed me, ruins the realism aspect of it.

7) You swim up to a coast on an island you've never been before - do you know EXACTLY where you are?

8) Not sure how viable due to the ArmA engine.

Don't be so harsh on him. God! You're acting like he took a dump on his seat inside your church. It's true that he might be somewhat ahead of himself here and suggesting things that shouldn't be suggested because of the apparent lack of understanding of the game. But still he should be respected for actually giving his two cents and not flamed to a smocking pile. If this is the way you behave when someone, according to your views and what you know, is suggesting something like a addition or subtraction to the game then peoples will not want to participate in the discussion.

And with this I will leave but before I do I just wish to write this: I'm quite sure you'll flame me now because I'm actually sticking up for this random person on the forum. Even though I'm not agreeing with many of his suggestions at all. Perhaps the way I should say this is: grow up people - it's just an suggestion.

Edited by DreamDragon

Don't be so harsh on him. God! You're acting like he took a dump on his seat inside your church. It's true that he might be somewhat ahead of himself here and suggesting things that shouldn't be suggested because of the apparent lack of understanding of the game. But still he should be respected for actually giving his two cents and not flamed to a smocking pile. If this is the way you behave when someone, according to your views and what you know, is suggesting something like a addition or subtraction to the game then peoples will not want to participate in the discussion.

And with this I will leave but before I do I just wish to write this: I'm quite sure you'll flame me now because I'm actually sticking up for this random person on the forum. Even though I'm not agreeing with many of his suggestions at all. Perhaps the way I should say this is: grow up people - it's just an suggestion.

He made a suggestion in a public forum. That means it is open to both criticism and praise. Nobody is giving him a ration of crap. People are critiquing his suggestions one by one.

Chill. I understand that but you don't need to be so forceful, do you? But perhaps you're the perfect example of what I mean. Interpret this as you will, its a public and open forum is it not? But still I will claim that you're too forceful and behaving in a very inappropriate way for a forum designed for suggestions, you're like the kind of teacher I would never want to end up with. If my teacher in mathematics would sigh and bestow upon you little rants of how stupid you are because you didn't understand this or that I would never want to learn or be calm enough to be able to. Of course you're not saying that anybody is stupid but you're responding to people in a, still what I would consider in a forum for debate and discussion, very inappropriate and unforgiving way.

Take care.

Edited by DreamDragon

First let me say I love the game. Its very well put together. And I know its just Alpha and lots of changes are in the works. I hope you find my suggestions informative and useful in future development.

Suggestions for Dayz from a newbies prospective:

1. Optional Tutorial

Just play around with Arma a bit. Anything you really need to know about the quirks of the engine will make themselves apparent very quickly.

(It’s silly that I cannot run straight up a hill) - I'd like to see you run full sprint 500m then scoot your ass straight up a hill at the same pace. No really.

Filter for servers with nameplates. As stated before by others.

4. Day and Night Cycles

Find a server with a different time of day. Or grow a pair and embrace the night.

On this point, I can agree. Not because of realism issues, but because it's just damn silly.

[Your name] Has died. What the hell else do you want to know? Telepathically be told who shot you with what? You want a killcam with that?

(Make this message stay up for like 45secs so we can read it and look at a map) You don't spawn with a map, consider yourself fortunate to be told fuck-all about your location.

Improvements to the inventory management would be quite nice indeed. In due time.

The only things you've suggested that aren't totally asinine have been addressed dozens of times already, which is a damn shame. I'm a huge advocate of "beginers luck" suggestions. Someone who has no experience in a field is not conditioned to see the supposed limitations of conventional wisdom; they may well see a solution where everyone else failed to look. Once you've been entrenched in something for a long time, you are more aware of the rules and functions that govern it, and have yourself a "box"; thinking outside of that box is often difficult. A newcomer can think outside of that box out of sheer naivety.

This however does not apply here.

Edited by KrystoferRobin

number # 2 is the fault of the ARMA2 game itself, I wish people would stop suggesting things that are far outside of one person working on a mod. I know lets add super flying battle robots with jetengines for feet, and they can transform into giant primates! YAY! hehehe

The third one is just retarded in real life people dont have names hovering over there heads