Sign in to follow this  
Anton17

New Zealand player, looking for like-minded players to team with...

Had two days on DayZ so far, and it is really a mixed bag and I can't tell whether I love it or hate it. I've died from log-in (?), Zeds at a chopper site (twice), broken bones seemingly randomly, bleeding out, snipers, players walking up out of the blue, stalkers, friendly-turned foe... and I'm getting really tired of the messy player interactions. I know the chat commands are supposed to be "realistic" but its impossible to co-ordinate or effectively communicate with someone before they let their bad experiences get the better of them and shoot at you without asking questions.

Todays's backstory (skip if desired)

Today I teamed up with someone for the first time. It was great. We were at the Balota airstrip thats right by the army base, deciding what to do after he equipped himself an AK. Various bugs and glitches occurred (loving alpha) and it was eventually announced a server reset would happen in 15 minutes. We waited around and managed to loot the whole place upon relogging. There were the two variations of AK, and I sided for the one with the most ammo. We ventured off into the woods to escape attention and went looking through various small towns and barns, capping off Zeds, staying out of the way, trying to survive. He was adamant we go to Cherno for supplies, but I was having none of it. Eventually we ran into another person, as we came out of the woods, onto a dirt road, a very small building ahead with Zeds. I spotted him a couple hundred yards away before my team-mate noticed, went prone, shouted at teammate. At this point, after being killed so much for so little reason (even when unarmed) I was through playing friendly. I took warning shots off from about 200m while he was aiming at a Zed. He ran back towards the house, clearly not knowing what was happening. We crawled through foliage 150m in diameter around the house, scaling it. We got close. I decided to move in. The player had fled. Success in my books. But we were now starving and thirsty. I managed to persuade him to back off the town for a little. We found more small houses, capped off some Zeds to find pittance and eventually I suggested killing a cow. I then found matches and wood, and we ate... it felt rewarding. Now he was restless and wanted to head into town. This was better than I had left off last night, when I was armed with a Winchester and a Makarov and packed with supplies and a camo bag... until I encountered chopper zombies who ate me to death as I bled out. Being at the highest point of playing so far, I was confident and didn't want to lose it, but conceded to try out Cherno. We found a player in the apartment blocks, killed them. Raided the apartments, found handy supplies like Workbox, waterbottle, morphine, lots of food and drink, a blood bag (priceless!). Coming out of those apartments we heard a voice: "Friendly!". We froze, my teammate thought it was me. "Don't shoot the chick with the hatchet, I'm unarmed". I told him it wasn't. We went prone. "To the guy thats between apartment buildings, there's a zombie behind you". We went behind the apartments. As it turned out, they were on top of the hospital, ironically enough after my teammate asked if we should check it out, and I had replied "risky?". We stayed there for a few minutes, undecided. I went around the side. Had two players in the sights of my AK. The hatchet chick and a new dude, with what looked like an Enfield. There were both looking around, just came down from the ladder. I could have picked them both off there and then. I waited until they turned around to see me. Shots fired immediately, I'm hit. Attempted to run. Bones broken, bleeding out, shot dead. My teammate killed them both before dying himself. I was so angry for his stupid need to return to town to die. After about 3 hours of actually playing the game, it was back into the rat-race of idiots, poor early game design and mind-numbingly frustrating servers and load times.

Part 2

After that, I had tried to get back. Eventually did, got my AK back, without ammo, was bleeding out from being swarmed by Zeds and still trying like an idiot to loot my corpse. repeating this in a circle, before finally getting shot by a player I shouted at that I was unarmed and out of ammo. Just about ready to give up and frustration reaching critical. Spawned in Electro, thought fuck it, went into my favourite spot, the 3-story building just around the corner heading east out of the church. Found two players in the church, actually didn't shoot when I walked in and said I was unarmed, and they disposed of the two zeds behind me. Left them to it, shutting the door behind me. Went to the 3-story. Found an X-bow with 3 arrows, some supplies... when what I think was the players I had just seen in the church came up the stairs. No words were exchanged. When he saw me his weapon was drawn. Didn't hesitate, shot him twice with the bow, his friend firing at me. Didn't kill him, I think he bled out unconscious. I went out the door on the 2nd floor and went around to the roof. Came back in on the 3rd floor, went down, noone around, the body there without a gun. Well, whatever. Right after I decided to leave I hear a bus horn. I run out side and two other guys run at the bus with me. Everyone shouting. There are around 20 players on the bus, including the guy I had spent the day with until we lost contact. We go around on this bus for about 3 hours, hitting up Starry and the Airfield, stopping at towns for supplies, everyones shouting having a great time, really amazed and the massive change in the game that we were used to. We loot everywhere, fully stocked up, the only thing we lacked was a sniper rifle. We eventually stop at a crossroads and one of the guys gets out to get his quad-bike that they had stashed. At this point the atmosphere changes. The driver is less amused to be doing this, some people are bored, others AFK, half of the amount of players we had at the start, people starving and bleeding to death. We head on through towns, apparently En Route to Electro, until we're shot at by a random bandit in a large field. The bandit is shot and looted and the buggy is glitching out with refueling. When thats sorted we head out, passing supermarkets to the moans of the rest of the 'magic bus'. Driver tells us to get out at a petrol station and to stay close together and occupy the zombies. A few jokes: "We're gonna get shot...". We trust the driver by this point, not wanting to piss him off, always following commands. We do as told, everyone out, he drives about 30 feet ahead, I'm busy looting a Workbox and running from Zeds... when I hear the gunshots start. I thought they were shooting zeds. I see a body on the floor, I loot it but he has a shotgun I don't need and I take the lesser supplies. Now I realise the text is displaying all the bus guys being killed. I finally realise whats happening. The two guys, bus driver and buggy driver, shoot me off as I run into an open field, hoping to reach the trees some 200m away. I have to say I lasted pretty well. I was weaving in and out, a true evade-the-sniper bookmarked technique. Eventually they get a couple of shots into me. I see a fracture and I'm bleeding out. I'm frantically trying to Alt-F4, not wanting to lose all the loot we just collected, but the command isn't working, instead its going off on the Arma2 commands.... I finally manage to log out and log back in on another server, where I bandage up, morphine up, and try to console myself that the episode only cost me a bandage and a morphine and left me with 8k blood. I head off and find Polano. Log off until decided what to do next...

After all of that I found myself a safe(ish) spot that I've located on the map and now I have my bearrings, with supplies of food, a map, binoculars a gun and ammo with some morphine and other goodies, just lacking a waterbottle and matches to stop me from going near deathtraps again. Even considering not playing until I have people to team with.

Now I'm sick of the childish mentality some people play the game with. It's not about not taking the game seriously or not, its about recreational fun as opposed to joyriding thugs. There's a lot of potential here. I know surviving and taking on other players is part of the design and I'm game for that, but right now, while they work out the amazing amount of bugs in this game and try and optimise terrible servers, the added shit of moronic players screwing up your day is way too much frustration for me to deem it 'fun'.

I want to find players that aren't in it for the disposable "If I die, whatever, I'll go do it again and not care this time" attitude. Its a survival game, and I want to survive and actually utilise the things you're given in this mod and tap into the ignored potential. I don't mean not shooting others and not exploring anything, I just mean staying the hell off the coast, nowhere near Cherno and Electro, and actually playing the game for more than 5 minutes (excluding massive load times and travelling times). I'd love to build up a stronghold of a place and make it into a base, fix up a car, patrol the massive and generally unseen world, deal with players in a proper manner, through speech or bullet...

If there are any New Zealanders or Aussies that would like to go the same way, not just gearing up to go back to Cherno to kill and die, then I'd love to hear from you. I think after two days of waiting on screens and tearing my hair out, it must be time to start playing the game.

Steam: Lakhesis17

Hey man, me and a couple of guys in our bf3 clan play and you're always welcome to join us if you want. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you some teamspeak details.

I am now at a better stage and looking for some more experienced people to play with. Got a couple of buddies now but always better to have someone to survive with.

Hey nice story!

I also am looking for someone to play with!

Your welcome to come play with me, I know alot about this game And im a very fast learner!

I have a couple other people also wanting to play with me! so we will be able to survive!

I've added you on steam ( color_power )