Sign in to follow this  
Ancient (DayZ)

Look Both Ways Before Crossing...

Didn't your mother ever tell you to look both ways before crossing the road?

Apparently a player (I won't disclose his name for his pride's sake) on server US 592 didn't receive this advice from his mother. While driving our stolen bus (I think a friend of mine posted the story of stealing the bus elsewhere on the forums; it's hilarious if you ever find it) from point A to point B (about 2/3 of the way across the map), we got stuck on a roadblock in an undisclosed town/city. While vigorously maneuvering the bus around the roadblock to make the turn, my buddy shouts out "Hey, there's a survivor over there!"

At this point, I'm not really concerned about survivors unless they're shooting at our bus; I'm more concerned about getting off this frackin' broken-down car so we can continue our journey, hopefully with the bus in 1-piece. After all, the whole point of our journey is relocation of assets.I finally manage to get off the hunk of junk and make the right turn. Just as I start moving us down the road at a decent pace, I see a zomb... Wait a second, that's no zombie.

I imagine at this point I have the biggest shit-eating grin on my face as I immediately decide my course of action. This guy is standing right in my path, not moving, and not looking in my direction. I'm not sure how he didn't hear a half-broken bus driving straight toward him (those things are LOUD!)... Or maybe he did, cuz he looked down the street - the wrong way down the street - just before I plowed over him.

We burst out laughing as the death message pops up in the corner, and continue on our merry way. Of all the ways to die in DayZ, I think that getting dozed by a bus - just because you couldn't look both ways - takes the cake.

Lesson learned: make sure your headphones aren't on backwards; it might save your life one day.

Oh, and you'll be happy to know that we arrived at our destination, safe and sound.

Edited by Ancient
  • Like 5

That happened to me once while I was logging in, I just logged in and i hear this car sound. I turn around and there's a bus going 80 straight at me like 5 meters away. No ways I could get out of the way. It was a sad day. xP

I just imagine this guy RL the other day when talking to his friends about DayZ.

Friend A: "Wow, I just had this awesome battle in cherno with 2 snipers, I killed one but then got hit and was bleeding to death in the supermarket."

Friend B: "Ah, I aggroed the whole town when firing my enfield, was running for minutes when I finally went into a building without a backdoor, then popped all the Zeds until my ammo went out. Died horribly afterwards"

Bus-Dude: "Well ... I was standing on a road when ..."

Reminds me of the time I took out a squad of 3 guys, presumably hackers at NW airfield. I ended up stumbling upon them with my DMR. I was about 40m away from them and I have no idea how they didn't see me. Then again, the cement wall would of blocked there sight of me. I let them pass by, and then they start crouch walking and I emptied a DMR mag into all of their backs, and killed all of them. As I was looting their corpses, they teleported to me in an APC (The stryker from Arma II I believe it was) and all I had time to do was turn around and see them barreling at me. Was soo pissed.

Haha torytrae that would be awesome! Made me laugh just thinking about it.

KField86 I imagine that would suck. My general rule of thumb when killing someone is to make it clean and quick, and then get the **** out ASAP before buddy calls in backup or glitch spawns where he died and kills you (it has happened before; my friend glitch spawned and followed the guys that killed him back to their camp, then took their bus with all their equipment in it).

Edited by Ancient